Author Topic: Whither went Duncan Wilson  (Read 13225 times)

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Whither went Duncan Wilson
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 26 February 15 13:57 GMT (UK) »

Take it that Duncan's son Alan and his sad history are correct ?

As far as I can see John, yes.
http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/2649136/WILSON,%20ALAN

and the MI transcription at  http://www.jwillans.freeserve.co.uk/st_andrews_cemetery_inscriptions.pdf
confirms that info.
There may be an announcement in the Newcastle Chronicle, but that time frame for newspapers isn't yet online and I am not near enough to do a look up, sorry. Maybe Michael or someone else will have time to look next time they go.

As for Frank, there is a possible death registration for him Q3 1980 Newcastle , birth date 16 Jun 1924 but I haven't been able to find a probate calendar entry for him.

The £45k when Jessie died could have been mostly the value of the house, but that's just a guess :-)

Pleased to have been able to help

Boo

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 26 February 15 14:07 GMT (UK) »
On recheck  Boo, you had Jessie as Free bmd born 1922 Q3 but now 1925 ? and was she born in Glasgow as Alan.

ANY news on what happened to Mr Rogers, ( knew you were in my mind and you have just answered )what would make Jessie be at Ladywell four years after Dad had died ?

Life is full of questions
best

John
Goodsir.  Ellington. Tillman.  Wilson. AngAs. Capstaff (Northumberland & Durham)
Macaire. Eusebe. Boitel. Beaulieu. Gordon. Tillman. Fear. Wood.
 ( London/ Middlesex & Devon )

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 26 February 15 14:28 GMT (UK) »
On recheck  Boo, you had Jessie as Free bmd born 1922 Q3 but now 1925 ? and was she born in Glasgow as Alan.

Yes, I did originally put that forward as a possible, but the mother's surname on that registration was WILKINSON and I couldn't find a matching marriage for a Duncan WILSON and a lady called WILKINSON. Then Carole came up with a marriage in Scotland and we found that Duncan married Jessie WILSON, so the revised search was for a child called Jessie WILSON with a mother's maiden name of WILSON which turned out to be in 1925 Newcastle. Her brother, Allan, who died in WW2 looks likely to have been born in Scotland before the family moved south to Newcastle

ANY news on what happened to Mr Rogers, ( knew you were in my mind and you have just answered )what would make Jessie be at Ladywell four years after Dad had died ?

Other than a 'possible' death registration, I have no idea about Frank ROGERS. I would guess that Jessie was still at Ladywell Way because her Dad had left her the house, but that's just a guess.

All the answers to queries in here - possible birth registrations etc are available to check out on Free BMD, they are offered as a possible scenario for you to then check out and see if you think they are correct. We can't guarantee they are right but just offer them as suggestions for you to check. I do think the final info I have given for Jessie (junior) being Jessie Tilman WILSON who married Frank ROGERS is correct but you need to check through it yourself to see if you agree with my logic and what I have found.

Boo

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 26 February 15 14:51 GMT (UK) »
Think the Tilman bit must be the clincher ( though we did pay for 2x 'L's ) and wonder if Son Alan carried the name on, will have a search around and see.

Best

John
Goodsir.  Ellington. Tillman.  Wilson. AngAs. Capstaff (Northumberland & Durham)

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 26 February 15 15:06 GMT (UK) »
Alan was 18 and a half when he died, I doubt he would have been in a position at that age to marry and if he did it would have been usual for his wife to be mentioned in the CWGC entry.

Boo

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 26 February 15 15:13 GMT (UK) »
I have my Alans mixed, it was the grandson Alan Rogers that I wondered if the Tillman bit had been past to him by young Jessie Tilman

Best

John

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 26 February 15 19:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello John,

I am at the Public Library checking Ancestry. I'll give you the bad news first which is that I cannot see any images. Library computers are running on a now-too-old browser and the county hasn't got money to upgrade them. The good news is that here:

England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations), 1858-1966

there is a probate listing for Duncan's wife Jessie.

All that I can see is:
Name: Jessie Wilson
Probate Date: 8 Jun 1964
Death Date: 6 May 1964
Death Place: Newcastle Upon Tyne
Registry: Newcastle Upon Tyne

Since date of death and location match, I think it's the right one. Perhaps someone else could look it up for you.

Cheers,
Westoe

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 26 February 15 20:10 GMT (UK) »
The probate record Westoe has found reads:

WILSON Jessie of 83 Grantham Road Sandyford Newcastle upon Tyne Married woman died 06 May 1964 at St Catherine's Nursing Home Jesmond Newcastle upon Tyne. Probate Newcastle upon Tyne 8 Jun to Jessie Rogers married woman  £7223

As an aside, Ancestry is no longer the only source of online modern probate records.
https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

That site will give exactly the same info (at the date of the above it has the same Calendar images) and it does it for free.

Of course they are kind of hoping you will then fork out £10 to buy the will/administration document, but none of us get everything we want :-)

Boo

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 26 February 15 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Tickettyboo, for this link. I learn something new here every day.

Cheers,
Westoe