Author Topic: Seeking Information about Alwyn Lewis O'Donnell  (Read 15472 times)

Offline Revolution

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Seeking Information about Alwyn Lewis O'Donnell
« on: Tuesday 24 February 15 06:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Folks

100 years ago Alwyn Lewis O'Donnell was born to Ethel Josephine Baggstrom. Most likely his father was David Lewis O'Donnell who adopted him shortly after with his Tasmanian wife Elizabeth Virginia Wheatley.

We have Davids marriage and death certificate plus his probate information. He died in 1930 and is in an unmarked grave in Hillsborough Cemetery in Auckland. David was a noted builder in Wellington and Auckland and some of his houses are still in existence today.

Alwyn spent his younger years in Auckland and was also in the air force.. Ive found some stories about him on papers past. He married Merle (Betty) O'Brien and they had a child together. Alwyn and Merle split soon afterward and Alwyn took his son to Australia with his mother in law.

Merle then remarried and passed away in 1995.

Alwyn spent a few decades in Australia and was the informant at his stepmothers death in NSW. He notes her as his stepmother on the death certificate of Elizabeth.

Alwyn totally disappears from electoral roles and is not found on death registers, death microfiches, cemetery records in Australia or New Zealand that we can find. Nor can we find him in later electoral roles in NSW or QLD post 1981.

His son appears to be in the 1980 Australian and 1981 New Zealand electoral roles

There is an Alwyn O'Donnell living in Christchurch, New Zealand but this is a woman andvery unlikely to be our Alwyn.

Can anyone find what happened to Alwyn? His son stayed in contact with Merles family up until her parents death and the family would also like to make contact with him as he has half sisters out there.

David Lewis O'Donnell would have been my great great uncle

As a side not there is a story published in the Ponsonby newspaper in Auckland by a historian who refers to David Lewis O'Donnell as being Scottish. I do not think he was Scottish but he did go to the Klondike to make his fortune but most likely returned to New Zealand and married Elizabeth Wheatley in Tasmania. Ive been unable to make contact with the author as the people running the magazine seem unresponsive to my emails.

Ive written a blog here to encourage people to come forward with more information and recently have had some extended family member provide some wedding photos of their cousin.

https://cerberuscoins.wordpress.com/2014/08/28/searching-for-odonnell-family-members/
McGaveston - Dublin-Ireland, France, New Zealand
White - Shalden, Alton, Chawton-Hampshire
O'Donnell - New Zealand, Co Down-Northern Ireland, USA
Franklin/Fraenkel - New Zealand, Prussia
Day - Echuca, Tongala, London, Fairford-Gloucestershire
Clark/McGraw - New Zealand, Ireland, England
McMahon -Ipswich-QLD, Kiladysart-Co Clare
Smith - Ipswich, Pine Mountain, Redbank-QLD, Co Westmeath, Co Cavan-Ireland
McGuire - Redbank - QLD, Co Westmeath-Ireland
Culhane - Queensland, Ardlaghan - Co Limerick

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking Information about Alwyn Lewis O'Donnell
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 February 15 07:29 GMT (UK) »
There is mention here of what looks like a book that he wrote

http://192.231.59.37/search~S2?/cN821.914%2FL959.2%2F1/cn821.914%2Fl959.2%2F1/-3,-1,,E/browse

Cheers Janette

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 February 15 07:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Folks

Alwyn spent a few decades in Australia and was the informant at his stepmothers death in NSW. He notes her as his stepmother on the death certificate of Elizabeth.

Alwyn totally disappears from electoral roles and is not found on death registers, death microfiches, cemetery records in Australia or New Zealand that we can find. Nor can we find him in later electoral roles in NSW or QLD post 1981.

His son appears to be in the 1980 Australian and 1981 New Zealand electoral roles

Was he ever on an Electoral Roll in Australia?

I do not see that name.  Was he using another name you have not mentioned?

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Revolution

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 February 15 07:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue

I think Alwyn is listed as Alvin Lewis O'Donnell in the 1981 electoral role in Miramar, Wellington.
I think hes in Mackellar, Cromer NSW in 1980 listed as Alan Louis O'Donnell with his son.

This is the last trace (if its him) that we have been able to find.

Janette - is that Alwyn Lewis or Alwyn Lewis O'Donnell? I could only see Alwyn

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 February 15 08:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Looks like the listing is for Alwyn D. Lewis   ???

~  Lu

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 February 15 08:45 GMT (UK) »
 ??? Sorry my mistake

Cheers Janette

Offline Beg Clonrode...

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 27 February 15 00:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello...

I think Alwyn is listed as Alvin Lewis O'Donnell in the 1981 electoral role in Miramar, Wellington.

The above name appears on the 1984/85/86 Rodney electoral roll and, after Rodney electorate became Kaipara electorate in 1987, the 1989*** Kaipara electoral roll.

***For some reason I have a feeling that should be 1988 but I've written down 1989. Caveat emptor :-)

The given occupation is "Retired". The given address is simply "Swansea, Emu Point, Kawau Island". Kawau Island doesn't seem to be an overly populated place so maybe send an email to the Kawau Island Residents and Ratepayers Association (KIRRA) and see if they have any records from 25 years ago.

KIRRA contact
http://www.kawauisland.org.nz/contact-kirra

KIRRA history
http://www.kawauisland.org.nz/kirra

Maybe also ask if there's a local cemetery.

---

Can anyone find what happened to Alwyn? His son stayed in contact with Merles family up until her parents death

What timeframe does the above underlined cover. And I don't suppose "Merle's family" can remember where the son was living.

The son you mentioned in your blog appears in the same electoral roll up to 1983. He is not in any of the 1984 electoral rolls so, amongst other things, it's possible he left the country.

---

In your blog you say...

At some point he [David] met Ethel Josephine Baggstrom and either had a child with her around 1915 or adopted her child. That child was Alwyn Lewis O’Donnell.

The birth of Alwyn Lewis O'DONNELL is officially recorded on the 1917 Births microfiche. The birth was registered in Wellington in the Oct-Dec quarter.

There is also a handwritten entry for Alwyn Lewis O'DONNELL on the 1915 Births microfiche.

If what you say is right it was presumably a 1915 birth and a 1917 adoption.

---

In your blog you say...

In 1968 Lillias died in Manly, New South Wales.

Is this not 1961 (Frenchs Forest cemetery) or have I the wrong death.

Regards
Beg

Offline Revolution

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 March 15 10:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Beg

Thank you for this great amount of work.

Yes it should have been 1961 for Lilias. I have the death certificate. Alwyn was living at Toronto Avenue, Dee Why West at the time.

Ive just written to the Kirra contact and Im hoping this time they respond to me. I tried a historical society previously and never heard back.

Alwyns son stayed in contact with the Angle family. There was a Patrick Angle married to Kathleen Hilda McKee in 1923. If they are the right people then Merle was at once engaged to Ray Angle - who died in 1949 aged 22 (Raymond Selwyn ). Patrick died 1981 - born 11 July 1901 and Kathleen Hilda died 1985 - born 10 April 1902  (parents: Minnie Bunn and Samuel McKee)

The Angle's, Patrick, Kathleen Hilda and Raymond Selwyn are all buried together in Waikumete Cemetery.

Offline Revolution

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 10 May 15 07:50 BST (UK) »
Hi

I havet been able to progress this any further. None of the people Ive contacted have ever responded back. Any other suggestions?