Author Topic: Andrew of Long Buckby  (Read 3385 times)

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Andrew of Long Buckby
« on: Tuesday 24 February 15 10:21 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help on one aspect of my research on the Andrew family of Long Buckby and Lee family of Watford?

I am looking for evidence of the birth/baptism date of an Elizabeth Andrew, who was born c1714 Long Buckby. It is possible that her parents were John Andrew and Elizabeth Davis, who were married 1713; however, there also seems to be a few men named John and Robert Andrew in Long Buckby at that time.

One Elizabeth Andrew of Long Buckby married John Lee of Watford 6 Nov 1738 Stanford. This couple are my ancestry.
Keith
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.
Banks: farmer/curriers/shoemakers, East Ham, Bermondsey, East End

Online sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew of Long Buckby
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 February 15 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Keith

There's no entry in the Northamptonshire Baptisms Index for an Elizabeth Andrew near that time in or near Long Buckby ... the nearest are 1728.

Those early records for Long Buckby are from the BTs rather than PRs. If they're missing from the PRs, they may also be missing from the BTs.

There's a single entry for John & Elizabeth of Long Buckby ... the bpt of John Andrew 16 Oct 1717 ... and a possible (mother's name unreadable to transcribers) for the same name 2 years earlier.

Bryan

ADDED ... Yes, John s/o John & Elizabeth Andrew of Long Buckby buried 1715 Aug 20, the bpt above having been Jul 26.
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 February 15 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Bryan

Yes, Bryan, I thought that there was an earlier John Andrew born to John Andrew and Elizabeth born and died c1715.

Thank you for no evidence bp for Elizabeth Andrew 1713/1714 Long Buckby.

I had thought that John Andrew of Long Buckby m. Elizabeth Davis c1713 and had born first Elizabeth Andrew c1714, then John 1715. That would make her about 24 when married.

I can not be 100% sure that this mother Elizabeth Davis did not die and John Andrew married another Elizabeth for the next John Andrew (1717) but that doesn't matter at this stage.

My aim is to find/confirm the birth/parents of an Elizabeth Andrew, who when married John Manning Lee in 16 Nov 1738 Stanford, she was recorded as being of Long Buckby.

Failing all that, I will go a generation further back to John Manning Lee's father Andrew Lee and concentrate on his first wife Elizabeth Manning of Milton (m. 26 Nov 1711 All Saints Northampton). He was of Watford at the time of his marriage, but the 1702 Poll Books show only one Andrew Lee in Kilsby, not Watford.

Keith

Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.

Online sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 February 15 12:33 GMT (UK) »
Interesting.
The Northamptonshire Marriages Index shows the 1713 marriage as follows ...

John Andrew yeoman married Elizabeth Wadsworth 1713 Long Buckby BTs. Married at Holdenby by license - entry crossed out in BTs

... can't find Elizabeth Davis marriage.

The Northamptonshire Burials Index doesn't show an Elizabeth Andrew burial until later ...

Elizabeth Andrew  1732 Mar 14 Long Buckby  wife
Elizabeth Andrew  1738 Jul 12  Long Buckby  widow
and
John Andrew   1736 Jun 10  Long Buckby  senior

Bryan
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 February 15 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Bryan

Okay, John Andrew married Elizabeth Wadsworth 1713, so that still means the first daughter still could have been Elizabeth Andrew born c1713/14 (if there were any records to prove that) and the Elizabeth Wadsworth (wife) has died 1732. As John Andrew has died 10 Jun 1736, then he may have married a second Elizabeth (Davis?? or ) c. 1733. John Andrew died 10 Jun 1736;and now she as the widow who has died 12 Jul 1738 or this second Elizabeth Andrew could be at a stretch, the wife of the son John Andrew as he was bp 1717. What a can of worms!
If only this John Andrew had a Will, that may give some answers.

As for the name Wadsworth, the Wadsworths of Long Buckby were also connected to the Andrew family.

If we go back to the Will of a Richard Wadsworth of Long Buckby dated 27 Mar 1637, then he left 10 pounds each to Robert and John Andrew, sons of Robert Andrew, (my nephew). I think that the boys were his nephews and that Robert Andrew had married Richard's sister Elizabeth Wadsworth but that would have been in the early 1600s' as I believe that these two boys were born c1625 (Robert) and John Andrew 27 Dec 1632 in Long Buckby. There would have been another John Andrew bp 11 Apr 1630 but died 21 Apr 1630. I believe that this John Andrew m Elizabeth Lucas 10 Nov 1655 L.B.
Don't the English have any other names for females except Elizabeth!!!!!! It would have made it easier.

Sorry, this is getting too complicated. I appreciate you help with the above finds. If only there was a modern day Andrew around with the family bible!

Keith

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 March 19 09:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Bryan for you interest. I have purchased documents from Nat. Library of Wales. One document quotes an Indenture written Oct 1738.
It confirms that John Andrew did have a wife Elizabeth Wadsworth, and his daughter Elizabeth Andrew did marry John (Manning) Lee of Watford. The rest of the document I am struggling with money exchanges and land leases
... said Andrew Lee, the father, was brother and heir to John Lee late of Watford aforesaid Gentleman, deceased, and John Lee of Kilsby aforesaid Gentleman and eldest son and heir of the said Andrew Lee, the father and brother of the said Andrew Lee, the son, and also nephew, and heir at law to the said John Lee, the uncle of the first part; John Andrew of Long Buckby in the County of Northampton Gent and the said Richard Watts of the second part; and Elizabeth Andrew of Long Buckby, by aforesaid,  spinster,  the only daughter of John Andrew late of Long Buckby aforesaid, yeoman, deceased, by Elizabeth her late deceased mother, whose name before her intermarriage was Elizabeth Wadsworth of the third part.

Online sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 March 19 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the follow up, Keith. I think that's as good a confirmation as you'll get; confirms the family unit and all but confirms the deaths.

Surprising where you can find such useful info. A few years ago we visited the National Library of Wales (long walk up a hill, but lovely buildings and great views) and my wife found the collection of documents relating to Birdsall's, the Northampton printers and bookbinders, her mother's place of employment in the 1930s and 1940s.

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 March 19 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Sugarbakers

In finalising the estate of David Rees of near Haverfordwest in 1837, former husband of Mary Lee and her sister Ann Lee of Watford, the local Welsh solicitor was required to document the acquisition of freehold at Watford by the Lee family back as far as 1710. This meant looking at many Indentures to 1813 (and on) when the chn became equal beneficiaries to Watford property.
Thus, many of these solicitor's rough drafts were filed in and purchased from, the National Library of Wales.

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 24 September 19 11:29 BST (UK) »
Bryan
How stupid of me!

Holden, Northamptonshire 6 Nov 1738 John (Manning) Lee of Watford married Elizabeth  Andrew of Long Buckby, then, if I had looked more closely at the next entry for 26 Feb, which would be 1739 not 1738  John Andrew of Long Buckby married Elizabeth Lee of Watford.

I have an Indenture 12 Oct 1838 of pre-nuptials for John Manning Lee's second marriage to Elizabeth Andrew written as he had to pay his sister Elizabeth Lee 300 pounds on her reaching 21..... but I also have more records saying that Robert Andrew had to pay his sister money when she married (Father's Will and mother Elizabeth Wadsworth's sister's bequeathement).

Makes sense... let the Lee and Andrew families unite in marriage and extend out leased farms lands between Watford and Long Buckby ...

As for why Watford and Long Buckby families would marry in Holden, you may have the answer but I do see that the Andrew chn's parents John Andrew the Elder and Elizabeth Wadsworth married  in Holden by licence in 1713.... maybe significant!