Author Topic: Bass/ Challis family of Hatfield Broad Oak Essex.  (Read 2175 times)

Offline Jinjerwitch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bass/ Challis family of Hatfield Broad Oak Essex.
« on: Tuesday 24 February 15 13:57 GMT (UK) »
I have quite a bit of information about this branch of my family tree, with information branching out into sibling territory. Areas which come up are Stanstead, Bishop Stortford, Bradwell, Loughton and Kelvedon Hatch. Just wondered if anyone else out there might be researching the same names and might want to share information to fill in some gaps and move the research on.
Stubbings Bass Goodsman Ribbans Mothersole Steggal Chittock Bradbrook Grant Bird Challis Mann Harvey Waters Button Harmer Akehurst Luffman Starling Brewitt Bruett Day

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bass/ Challis family of Hatfield Broad Oak Essex.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 February 15 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked RootsChat's Surnames Interest Table?

Scroll down the page - any RC page - to the bottom.
There you will see Surname Interests.

Click on that; and then Quick Search; and then the initial letter of the name you are looking for.

Scroll down the results page until you find the surname you want; clicking on tht brings up a list of RootsChatters interested in that name! ;D

And, while you're there, why not add your own interests?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline confusion

• RootsChat Senior
  • I was born poor - and still have all of it
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 February 15 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jinjerwitch,

My OH has a Gt Gt Grnd Mother called Lucy Challis born 1828 Roydon Essex. The only link  found yet
was a Lucy Ann born in Debden which is either Debden near Loughton or Debden near Saffron Walden. Other than that we have faced a brick wall I'm afraid.

Jim
Willey, Berry, Cox, Davis, Haddock, Hutton, Griffiths/Griffin, Tanner - Worcestershire
Cox, Dudley, Harris, Moore, Neville, Payne - Warwickshire
Chambers, Douds, Dryden, Given, Hamilton, Hassan, McPherson, McWhirter, Simpson, Taggart, Vauls, Whiteside - Ireland/Scotland, Northumberland
Challis, Halls, Heady, Grove, Lawrence - Essex
Foxwell, Imm, Ward - Gloucesteshire
Heady, Collis, Griffin - Hertfordshire
Hurling - Middlesex
Willey, Imm - Monmouthshire
Imm, Hamilton, Hedge, Majury, Sollis - US

Offline Steve Mc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 January 18 10:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jinjerwitch, I have been researching my family history and link back to a Michael Challis (Michael Charles Challis born 1823/1825) who was given a 15 year sentence and transported to Australia in 1844. For a long time I could only glean that he was from Hatfield or Hadfield. He was convicted for arson while employed as a Groom on a farm near Harlow Essex. He was tried at Chelmsford in 1844.   Just recently I discovered an earlier mention (1843) in a newspaper, and this states that Michael Challis of Hatfield Broad Oak, and was a labourer at the time.

He eventually married upon release in Tasmania (Aust) and had three sons that I know of George David 1861, David William C1863, and Michael Charles 1865

Any information about Michael or the Challis family of Hatfield Broad Oak would be greatly appreciated.

Steve McLean