Author Topic: Corbett of Charleville, Cork  (Read 2568 times)

Offline Jazmine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Corbett of Charleville, Cork
« on: Wednesday 25 February 15 20:45 GMT (UK) »
I've just found on a military record that Dennis Corbett/Corbit was born in about 1836-9 in Charleville, Cork.  Is there anywhere online that has the baptism records ?
Thanks

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Corbett of Charleville, Cork
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 February 15 12:13 GMT (UK) »
www.rootsireland.ie (Pay to view site) www.familysearch.org for Irish Collections (free site) :)
I've just found on a military record that Dennis Corbett/Corbit was born in about 1836-9 in Charleville, Cork.  Is there anywhere online that has the baptism records ?
Thanks

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 February 15 12:23 GMT (UK) »
www.nationalarchives.ie for Griffith Valuation & Tithe Applotment records several entries for surname Corbett in the areas of Doneraile & Buttevant which are in close proximity to Charleville. :)

Offline Jazmine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 February 15 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you ballydw, I checked them, but there's no way of confirming if they're mine or not.  Oh well, I'll keep hunting  ???

Offline tommyj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 May 15 06:43 BST (UK) »
Hello Jazmine,
I'm hoping to share information about this Dennis Corbett of Charleville, Co Cork. He may be my gg grandfather, who was the father of the bride to my g grandfather Owen Maguire in Chunar India in 9 Apr 1872. The baptism records seem to start very late there in Charleville RC parish, but we might get lucky with a marriage record for his parents there.  I'll check for more findings and repost here. Do you know the fate of Dennis Corbett, where he served and where he ended up.

Good luck with your searches.  By the way, this is my 1st rootschat post ever. i have dna results at GEDMatch kit A855225.

:)
Tom
Seattle area, Washington, USA

Offline tommyj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 May 15 17:10 BST (UK) »
Hello Jazmine,
I'm having doubts whether that is my Denis Corbett of India. Two of his children were married on 9 Apr 1872, Patrick (25) and Johanah (17) on the same day, so he was probably born between 1817 and 1827

Could you re-tell me the marriage year and parish for your Denis Corbett? Your reply from 3 May 2015 may have been taken down, for copyright  abuse, I'm assuming.

For your research, maybe any witnesses listed for the record would be a clue toward further research. You might be able to find a civil death record for Denis Corbett's parents or a graveyard transcription.
Tommyj