Author Topic: Hello! New to researching Cheshire ancestors HOUGH family in and around Winsford  (Read 4359 times)

Offline JaneyH_104

• RootsChat Member
  • My great-grandmother, Alice
    • View Profile
Just thought I'd introduce myself to the Cheshire discussion board. 

I've been researching my family history properly for four years now, on and off - as much as I can, around a full-time job, husband and small child!  Up until now I've focused on my side of the family, but now I've decided to take a break from my lot and look instead at my husband's side.

Initially I'm concentrating on the HOUGH family in and around Winsford and Middlewich.  I have an Ancestry subscription and will be working my way through BMDs and Census records.  I note there is a Cheshire BMD website so I'll no doubt cross-reference to that regularly.  As far as I can see, the main commercial site with Cheshire parish records is FindMyPast, so I may have to do a short-term subscription to that at some point in the future.

In the meantime, if anyone else is researching Houghs, or has any tips for researching Cheshire ancestors, then please get in touch.  I'm still getting on top of the geography and place-names, but I'm sure I'll master these quickly enough (I've always loved geography!)
BOWDLER - Forest of Dean & Devon, DYSON, ENTWISTLE & TOWNEND - Huddersfield, CLARKE - Dorset, SCOBLE - Devon, HOUGH, COPE & WHITTAKER - Cheshire, BRACHER - Wiltshire, DENNISS - Herts/Hunts, SQUIRE - Hunts/Beds, BROWN - Herts/Beds

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
Re: Hello! New to researching Cheshire ancestors HOUGH family in and around Winsford
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 February 15 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Depending on how far back you have gone there are Hough wills in Middlewich dating back to 1673.

http://archives.cheshire.gov.uk/family-history/family-history.aspx

Wills and Probate.

There is link on the site to Cheshire Diocese Of Chester Bishop's Transcripts Baptisms 1576-1906
on FindMyPast
You can search for free, and this can give you clues as to where to look in Prs.

You can cross check them in
Family Search.
https://familysearch.org/search
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline sem73

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Hello! New to researching Cheshire ancestors HOUGH family in and around Winsford
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 February 15 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi JaneyH

Welcome to the Cheshire boards! :D

I'm based about 10 miles from Middlewich & Winsford, and near local libraries, any requests just shout!

Sarah :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Davies/Griffiths/Smith/Woodward/Goodwin/Morrlle/Moralee - Flintshire

Moralee (and variants) - Durham

Offline JaneyH_104

• RootsChat Member
  • My great-grandmother, Alice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 February 15 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Thank-you both!

It may take me a while to get back to 1673, but lets see how I go.  In the meantime, thanks Sarah for the offer of local assistance.  We live in Kent so Cheshire is a long way to travel.  Having said that we were up there for a family reunion over Christmas - my husband's mother's side of the family, so mainly Copes and Whittakers rather than Houghs.  Our young son is delighted that there's a village called Hough near Nantwich though - he insisted on having his photo taken by the sign at the entrance to the village!
BOWDLER - Forest of Dean & Devon, DYSON, ENTWISTLE & TOWNEND - Huddersfield, CLARKE - Dorset, SCOBLE - Devon, HOUGH, COPE & WHITTAKER - Cheshire, BRACHER - Wiltshire, DENNISS - Herts/Hunts, SQUIRE - Hunts/Beds, BROWN - Herts/Beds

Offline HoughofDC

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 October 16 21:34 BST (UK) »
Hello Distant Hough Relatives!

due to the miracle of google books and the search engine that highlights names, and thanks to many hundreds of hours of reading and vetting those books, i now have extensive and mostly factual evidence of my personal Hough lineage dating back to the late 1400's. If unproven connections hold true, its possible to get as far back as 1245, but i have yet to get that far in terms of factual evidence. id like to share what ive found in my own line and id also like to tell all Hough's out there reading this,  that we are ONLY from the Cheshire region of England ( encompassing all of those 'Shires and what have you. But that general region), and no where else in the entire world. In Fact, all Hough's currently living on earth are directly related to one another and eventually derive from one 'Hill somewhere out there in the pastures of western England. This, is indisputable in my research. There are some connections made by way of family journal, passenger records, and very old perish records... And if one Geneologist i read is correct, its possible the Hough's were around when Deva Vitrix was in operation(Roman Settlement) and theory would speculate at that age that our family was evolving there for the duration in Cheshire, even in neolithic times.  Some of the oldest blood in England! Here is my proven Geneology from myself all the way back to Thomas Hough. One particular portion of note is the section from Richard Hough to William Hough(the American Immigrant). The official statement from English records is that Richards son William married Thomas Cromwells illigitimate daughter Jane and only had one daughter. This was found to be untrue as Perish records have them 4 counties over as a family of 5 years later with 2 boys and 3 girls, the youngest boy dying before maturity. The reason for this is Richard Hough denounced his son William for not following his religious path. He famously removed William from his will and left his land to his sister upon his death. This is all public record, but Richard was the right hand man of the right hand man of the kind of England. He(Richard) started out as Cromwells house man (all Hough men in England were house men or Carpenters), and eventually became his best friend and then bodyguard of sorts, or  "agent" as he is described in court records. His dismissal of his son William begets this dispairagment in the geneological tree- he truly did not William to have any connection to him at all. While its harder to prove these things with the age of the documents and information being dealt, there are certain "leaps of faith" in geneology, and with the names matching up and regions, and the ages of those in question, it is my belief that this is indeed what happened here. So! Richards son William had a son named William II. William II had a son named Edward. Edward had a son named William III. William became one of the very first English settlers in America in 1640 with Reverend Blinman and the Welsh Party (even though they were not Welsh) and his father Edward came to live with him later in his life. Because of this, my Line of Hough draws to Thomas Hough like this (and i hope this is helpful to you and not just a soggy read! Also, if there is someone in England who can get me to William Hough the immigrant a different way, im open to hearing how that is)
    My name is Lindsay Austin Hough b. 1980
    My Father was Phillip Geoffrey Hough 1944-2008
    His Father was Paul Emerson Hough 1915-1987
    His Father was Harrison Elbert Hough 1881 - 1950
    His Father was Freeman Ferdinand Hough 1849-1925
    His Father was Asahel Alonzo Hough II  1830-1899
    His Father was Asahel Alonzo Hough I  1793-1874
    His Father was Buell Hough 1748 - 1835
   His Father was Ebenezer Hough 1726-1758
   His Father Was James Hough 1688-1740
   His Father was Samuel Hough 1653-1718
  His Father was William Hough III (the American immagrant)  1619- 1683
  His Father was Edward Hough 1590-1672
  His Father was William Hough II 1556-1600
  His Father was William Hough I (the religious defector) 1525-1585
  His Father was Richard Hough 1508-1574
  His Father was John Hough 1475-1543
  His Father was Thomas Hough b.1448 - unknown death

im looking for help in verifying that disparagement and connecting to the proven older lines. Any and all help is sincerely appreciated. Happy Hunting!

Offline juleznz

• RootsChat Member
  • who am i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 January 17 23:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello i only have berkshire HOUGHs as far as i know..my earliest is Charles Henry Hough born c1866 berkshire or yorkshire? cant seem to find him tho
BIXLEY- any
SALT -Staffordshire eng
CRESSWELL -Nelson NZ Cornwall Eng

BROWN-England-Gisborne NZ Whaling connection
Scotland Interests
Fife- Fortune,Mason,Motion,Gray,
Fenwick and Loundoun Parishes-HOWIE/WYLIE/YOUNG/WOODBURN/MITCHEL
USA/British America interests
HOWLAND/VANSICKLE/TILLEY/LOTHROPP/COBB
 Canada ---MOLLARD-
,SIGGLEKOW/SCHWASS-Nelson NZ,

Offline Tarnwater

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 00:04 GMT (UK) »
My neighbour is related to the Chester, Cheshire HOUGH's. In Chester there is an area called Hough.
PRITCHARD[CAERNARVONSHIRE/DENBIGHSHIRE
EVANS[CAERNARVONSHIRE/DENBIGHSHIRE]
SLOAN/SLOANE[CAERNARVONSHIRE]
WILLIAMS[Caernarvonshire]
JONES[Caernarvonshire/Denbighshire]
ROBERTS[Caernarvonshire]
TODD[ANTRIM]
McNEILL[Antrim]
FURNEAUX[DEVON]
SKINNER[DEVON]
WEST[Devon]
SANDERS/SAUNDERS[DEVON]