Author Topic: Donibristle Village  (Read 13814 times)

Offline GEN10

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Donibristle Village
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 21 August 05 18:08 BST (UK) »
Hello CraigJSeath,noticed one of the names you are researching is Beveridge. I come from a long line of Beveridges all in fife. mainly Dunfermline,HallBeath and Cowdenbeath. Where's your line form?
GEN10
FIFE NAMES:BELL, BEVERIDGE, MCNEILL, HENDERSON, HYND, MITCHEL, WEBSTER.
MIDLOTHIAN NAMES: BLAIR, CROMBIE,  FAIRNIE, GREENLEES, LATTA, PEAT, SNEDDON/SNADDON.
ANGUS: BEAN, COWIE, GOWANS, MYLES, SKIRLING

Offline CraigJSeath

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 21 August 05 18:24 BST (UK) »
Hello Gen10

My greatx4 grandmother, Margaret Beveridge was born in Halbeath on 21st August 1820, daughter to Robert Beveridge and Elizabeth Penman (m 6 March 1819 at Halbeath).

The only siblings of Margarets I have are Janet (b abt 1821), James (b abt 1824) and Richard (b abt 1825)

Cheers

Craig
Seath, Farries, Sked, Beveridge, Williamson all in Fife, Scotland

Offline longshanks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 06 September 05 19:00 BST (UK) »
try Hutton, Guthrie (1999) "Fife - The Mining Kingdom"  published by Stenlake Publishing.  It has nine pages of photos of Cowdenbeath, but though there is a paragraph on the Donibristle Disaster in 1901 I don't think there are pics of Donibristle itself.

The library service - Dunfermline and Kirkcaldy have photos on a digital database which you can scan in the libraries, they may be web based, I don't know.

The families of two of my great grandfather's brothers worked there I believe.
Beattie,Edwards,Hope,Jarman,McLuckie, Meason, Murray, Summers, Welsh, Wilde, Wemyss, Wright

Offline Cowdenboy

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 18 September 05 14:58 BST (UK) »
Frosty Mountains were a row of houses in Cowdenbeath once used as a hospital when there was an epidemic in the area.  Frosty Mountains were at the top of what is now Pretoria Place in Cowdenbeath. 

Offline GEN10

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 18 September 05 15:59 BST (UK) »
Hy CraigJSeath
Do you have a death certificate for your Robert Beveridge? I think that his parents may have been William Beveridge and Elizabeth Hynd, if they are then we share a branch on the Beveridge family tree.
GEN10
FIFE NAMES:BELL, BEVERIDGE, MCNEILL, HENDERSON, HYND, MITCHEL, WEBSTER.
MIDLOTHIAN NAMES: BLAIR, CROMBIE,  FAIRNIE, GREENLEES, LATTA, PEAT, SNEDDON/SNADDON.
ANGUS: BEAN, COWIE, GOWANS, MYLES, SKIRLING

Offline sleepy

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hillend Tavern
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 18 October 05 08:26 BST (UK) »
Hi  :D

I live about 1 mile from the Hillend Tavern, Hillend, Inverkeithing.

Regards
Sleepy, Inverkeithing

Research has taken me to Donibristle - would you know anything about "The Tavern, Hill End" and/or family of the name GEDDES
I believe a daughter went to Canada - Vancouver Island.

Any help appreciated
With thanks
Syme, Morris, Innes, Fife

Offline Lorra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Hillend Tavern
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 23 October 05 06:42 BST (UK) »
My Grandparents were Tony and Maggie Geddes who owned The Tavern, Hillend, from 1946-1967. I lived there with them on and off during the 50's and 60's. My mother, Margaret, was the daughter who emigrated to Canada. I have a lot of family research about the Geddes family. What is your connection? What would you like to know?

Cheers,
Lorraine, BC, Canada

I live about 1 mile from the Hillend Tavern, Hillend, Inverkeithing.

Regards
Sleepy, Inverkeithing

Research has taken me to Donibristle - would you know anything about "The Tavern, Hill End" and/or family of the name GEDDES
I believe a daughter went to Canada - Vancouver Island.

Any help appreciated
With thanks

Offline shaggy00211

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 24 November 06 00:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi  , not been on here for a long time, but still trying to find the same info as my 1st post. I have done many searches about info , pic's or names about Donibristle Village , it is like it never existed. the only info i keep getting is about the pit disaster in 1901. My Gran Bertha Mason ( nee McNeill ) who was born in 1914 , and now still going strong at 92.
I would be very greatfull for any info , especially any old pic's of the village

:)     ;)     :)     ;)     :)     ;)     :)     ;)     :)   

Offline WilliamFowler

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 19 August 13 19:01 BST (UK) »
Hello, just registered with rootschat so that I could reply re Donibristle village. My father was born there on 9th May 1909.  I have a photograph of his class at Dontibristle school, taken when he was about 10 years old (I'm guessing). I have a scanned version of the photo and I have the names of about everyone on the photo - you can have copies if you want.