Author Topic: Samuel Quarman  (Read 2587 times)

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Samuel Quarman
« on: Thursday 26 February 15 23:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello, wondering if anyone knows a Samuel Quarman he was connected with the St. Phillip's Pottery Trade 1797-98 he was in partnership with Earl Pearce's widow Elizabeth Pearce, it would be great to find his ancestors. ;)

Janet :-[

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Quarman
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 February 15 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Not really my area but could this be him at Bitton

Samuel Quarman 21.12 1760 s of James and Elinor Quarman

Siblings Grace 2.11.1766 (married a Robert Short 7.3.1784 Bitton)and Selvia  5.6.1759
Married to a Martha (perhaps also Short)
Daughter Sophia 20.10.1793 Bitton

Burial at Bitton 27.6.1827

Does that fit your dates?

Ciderdrinker

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 February 15 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning ciderdrinker, thanks for you help and information. ;)

Janet :)

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 March 15 04:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I'm a  direct descendant of Samuel Quarman from Bitton. I've just accidentally stumbled across your post via google, whilst searching for something else .

The above  Samuel who was buried in 1827 was born in 5th April 1795   . He was 32 when he died, he was buried 27/6/1827 http://www.bafhs.org.uk/burial-data/burial-index/catalog?letter=q
His parents were James and Martha Long

The Samuel who was born in 1760 in Bitton  died in 1794 (Samuel is the the uncle of the above samuel) A lot of the quarman men married both Short and Longs throughout the ages (it does get confusing sometimes).

The Samuel who died in 1827 (born 1795) was  a  Butcher (occupation is from my gg grandfather's marriage cert- Samuel's son ) .He married an Elizabeth (  I'm not 100% certain of her surname, even after more than 10 years of researching them, so  I won't put what I 98% sure of the surname is here) Samuel's father James owned land, orchards etc, and was also mixed up in the coal and brewery industries

If your Samuel was active in 1798 , I don't think he can possibly be either of the two above Samuel's from Bitton.  my ggg grandfather would have only been two and three at the given dates of 1797 to 1798 , the other ,his uncle was dead by 1798 (died 1794)

Kind Regards :)

Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline Rod Lloyd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 November 16 15:48 GMT (UK) »
Message for Cell:
Hi you and I are cousins and haven't spoken or seen each other since we were very young. I can remember you and your brother up at our Grandparents house in Cwmgwrach. I have done a lot of work on the Quarmans and can trace them to another Samuel born abt 1597. The Samuel you are talking about here married ELIZABETH LEE 21 Jun 1814 in Bristol, daughter of THOMAS LEE and HANNAH GUNTER.
It would be great to catch up if you get this message.

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 November 16 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning Rod Lloyd, I don't think we are connected the Samuel I was searching for was in business with a Elizabeth Pearce in the Pottery Trade Bristol they formed a partnership together after Elizabeth lost her husband Earl Pearce, I was trying to find her correct burial date. :-[

Janet :-[

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 30 November 16 01:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rod,
Yes I do remember you and your sister.
I think the last time I saw either of you was sometime before Gladys died. I had more to do with your sister, spent many a happy hour playing with her.

I started tracing the family almost 15 years ago when almost nobody was researching them, gosh time flies.

The only real bugbear of mine today  is our gg grandfather George brother Samuel Quarman( the one who went to jail and abandoned his wife), he dissapears off the face of the planet (no deaths for him at all within Britain and overseas( well as far as I can research overseas anyway)I've spent years and years  looking for what hapened to him after he was released from custody (after being found not guilty)

Hi Jan, you are right Rod isn't connected to the Samuel you are trying to find, unless your Samuel is an offshoot (cousin etc) of our family somewhere along the lines

Sorry to hear about your dad Rod, I was out here in Aus so didn't attend, but I know my father and brother did
Kind Regards Cell :)
Ps
Excuse  any above typos I'm using my phone to write this (silly little keyboard, and auto correct. I've already had to go back and edit my message twice.I give up now, typos can  stay put)

Offline Rod Lloyd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 November 16 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I'll see if I can find out anything about Samuel. What did he go to jail for?
I've done some work on the Lloyds and we have a couple of interesting characters in there too! I spoke to your Dad and Brother at my Fathers funeral and I did call and see him a couple of times after that. I telephoned him a couple of days ago and told him about some of this family tree stuff but he sounded as if he had a bad cold.
Am I right about Elizabeth Lee?

Rod

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 30 November 16 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Stealing a lace hanky lol He spent some time in jail waiting his trial.He was released when it went to court.He worked in monmouthshire, forgot his employers name now. I haven't got my work in front of me at this@moment in time, so will have to dig it out when I get home later.

I sent off for his jail record from Gloucester archives years ago) It gives his apperance and height too.He was a small man, just a little over 5 ft, but I think that ran in the family as alfred was pretty small too as was Gladys
He and his wife Mary Morgan had no children, so there are no direct decsendants of that line

Rod can you please edit your above post (it's under modify message) and remove my brother's name for privacy and all that, rootschat also has a no living names policy. If you have trouble editing it I'll ask one of the mods to do it for you
Elizabeth Lee, yes, but I'm not 100%certain, I'm  90 odd per cent sure.

Kind regards ;)
Ps I nearly forgot, talking about jail, have you seen the reports on Alfred in the newspapers? He also spent a little time in there. He got caught trying to steal (kill)some ducks whist his children were waiting outside the property.He was found guilty and refused to pay the fine , he said he'd go to jail instead.There are a few reports of the trial in the Welsh papers.
http://newspapers.library.wales
 Search on his surname in the above link If you haven't  got them .