Author Topic: margaret jordan and mary boyce cumannna mban drumcondra 1921/32  (Read 3774 times)

Offline diarmuidg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
margaret jordan and mary boyce cumannna mban drumcondra 1921/32
« on: Friday 27 February 15 13:32 GMT (UK) »
Lookin for information on both women margaret jordan &mary boyce
both cumann na mban drumcondra . Have checked BMH in national archive margaret worked with doctor alice barry8herbert place during the war of independence with michael collins doctor barry home was 28pembroke st upper.i have miss barry statement .if any knows of an old picture of these ladys or information i may have missed over my years of searching. I may have whats out there i may not. All information i gladly look over. go maith diarmuid.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Ruairi Boyce

• RootsChat Extra
  • Chef
    • View Profile
Re: margaret jordan and mary boyce cumannna mban drumcondra 1921/32
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 June 15 22:20 BST (UK) »
Diarmuid, Mary Boyce was my Grandmother.
Drumcondra Branch CnamB.

Offline Private 1st class

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 July 15 23:22 BST (UK) »
Hi the two ladies was Margaret called Maggie Jordan. Was this her single name ? Was her married name Morrissey. From Crumlin / Drimagh ?.
The lady name Boyce, Was she called May Boyce.  If yes they were both in Dromcondra Bch. Officer commanding at that time I believe was Teresa McDowell, She had two sisters also in the branch, Frances and Josephine. Fairview Branch supplied the women who took part in 1916 After '16 they did not seem to recruit new members. With the elections coming these Cummans were set up all over the country. Dromcondra trained in the same building along with Fairview, Just on a different night. They were quite active and worked close with the second battalion Dublin Brigade. I knew both of these two women. Rose Fitzpatrick,

Offline Ruairi Boyce

• RootsChat Extra
  • Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 July 15 00:37 BST (UK) »
Yes, Maggie Jordan was a great friend of my Grandmothers. I have a photograph of a reunion sometime in the 1940's of the Drumcondra Branch CnamB. These ladies held annual reunions & one particular year they decided to meet in the Gresham Hotel Dublin. The general manager at the time was a Cork man named Timothy 'Toddy' oSullivan. Upon finding out exactly who these women were, he put  the hotel at their service complimentary. Today, Toddys Bar in the Gresham is named after oSullivan. Last November I gave Liz Gillis a copy of this photograph to use in her book 'Women of the Irish Revolution'. Rose Fitzpatrick & Maggie Jordan are also featured in this photo. My father (90) can name some of the women.

Offline anne2014

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 January 16 21:46 GMT (UK) »
My Grandmother Eileen Bell was in the Drumcondra Branch at this time
she was friend's with Mary Boyce & she is also in the book by Liz Gillis