Author Topic: Simpson Family of Nigg, Aberdeen  (Read 6933 times)

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Simpson Family of Nigg, Aberdeen
« on: Friday 27 February 15 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Any help with family connections would be most helpful.
I know that George Simpson married Ina, who I believe was either Alexandrina or Williamina Arthur. No info about wedding. The family farmed at Nigg, south of the River Dee, Aberdeen. Their son Richard died as a prisoner of war, building the Burma / Siam Railway. I have his Army Number and burial plot. He was my mother's cousin but I know nothing very much about her relatives other than as a child she would walk to Nigg to see auntie Ina. Richard may have had a sister Mary Simpson.
Any other info about parents, George and Ina and other members of the family please.

I have found a Simpson family at Nigg 1901 census. George (senior) b 1873, Fraserburgh, wife Elsie  ?? born Inch, 1872 son George b 1895, son Alexander b 1897 Son Thomas b 1899 all living at 60 Walker Road. This may or may not be the family. Thanks for any help.
Burt, Cockrill, Craske, Debenham, Double, Grimwade, Grimwood, Hilder, Mayhew, Ray. All from  West Suffolk around the Bury St. Edmunds area.
Simpson, Pittendreigh, Arthur.   Aberdeenshire

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Simpson Family of Nigg, Aberdeen
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 February 15 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Have you looked for the marriage of George and "Ina" on Scotlands People or Richards birth which will give you Ina's full name and maiden name which will help tracing a marriage

The marriage must have been before 1939 so is downloadable but Richard was probably born after 1914 so you would have to buy a copy of his birth cert

www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Does the entry for Richards death on www.cwgc.org give Ina's full name
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 February 15 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately CWGC says George and Ina Simpson. AS far as I know Ina was my mother's aunt on her father's side, Hence the surname Ina. I have two candidates who's names end in Ina, That is Alexanderina or Alexandrina depending on which census one uses , born Ellon, lived in Cruden she is the more likely candidate. The other was Williamina, but I think she married a man called Alexander Melvin.  There were 14 children, including my grandfather William Arthur, to William Arthur senior 1848 -1929 born in Slains and Ann Chalmers 1847-1921 born in Cruden.
Burt, Cockrill, Craske, Debenham, Double, Grimwade, Grimwood, Hilder, Mayhew, Ray. All from  West Suffolk around the Bury St. Edmunds area.

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 February 15 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Have had a quick look at Scotland's People website. Possible matches, but I don't have a subscription to them, just Ancestry.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 February 15 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi hookleg

Scotlands People do not have a subscription access to their records...only pay to view.

You can register for free, do general searches to see if anything shows. You need to buy units to view search results and view images online.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 February 15 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Possible marriage entry in 1906:

1906   SIMPSON   GEORGE ALEXANDE   ARTHUR   INA   ST NICHOLAS   ABERDEEN CITY/ABERDEEN   168/01 0248

You can look this up, the original image with full details on their parents, on Scotlands People.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 27 February 15 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Have had a quick look at Scotland's People website. Possible matches, but I don't have a subscription to them, just Ancestry.

If you want to research in Scotland, you need to use Scotland's People. Ancestry does not have any major birth, baptism, marriage, death, burial or original census records for Scotland.

You might find it useful to note that although Aberdeen extends south of the river Dee, that part of the city is in the parish of Nigg and county of Kincardine (Kincardineshire), not in the county of Aberdeen (Aberdeenshire).

There is another Nigg in the county of Ross and Cromarty, and there are a few more Kincardines!
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 27 February 15 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the tips so far. I put the question on the Aberdeenshire forum as I have found most relatives there and I think the parents are definitely born there. I presume they must have moved to Nigg after getting married. Do you think I should try re-posting on the Kincardine forum?

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 27 February 15 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Had a few credits left - Richard Simpson was born 10/8/1914 Allens, Nigg, son of George Alexander Simpson, Farm Servant (Greive) and Alexandrina Arthur who were married 1/6/1906 St. Nicholas, Aberdeen.

So the marriage found by MonicaL looks like it's the right one.

If you purchase some credits you can then view the marriage certificate and it will state their parents details (Scottish certificates give far more information than English ones).

Annette 
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk