Author Topic: Simpson Family of Nigg, Aberdeen  (Read 6928 times)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Simpson Family of Nigg, Aberdeen
« Reply #9 on: Friday 27 February 15 23:47 GMT (UK) »
Think this should be left on Aberdeenshire forum as looks like that's where the Simpsons came from before going to Nigg.

Think I could have found George Alexander's parents but would need confirmation of who his parents are as stated on the marriage certificate. Think he was bc.1885 but there is more than one possibility hence the need to establish who his parents were.  IF I'm right there is a tree on Ancestry going back a few generations (although have no idea how accurate it is).

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 28 February 15 07:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much Annette. How kind of you to use your credits to find that out for me.

I will certainly see about getting some credit to try to track them. Alexandrina is on my 'Arthur' tree so I have got that part of the line going back several generations.

Do you know if it is likely that there will be records of Richard's siblings, sons or daughters of Ina and George? (About 110 - 90 years ago I would think)

Also is it possible through Scotland's People to access the names of possible living relatives? I realise I can't do that on this forum.
Burt, Cockrill, Craske, Debenham, Double, Grimwade, Grimwood, Hilder, Mayhew, Ray. All from  West Suffolk around the Bury St. Edmunds area.
Simpson, Pittendreigh, Arthur.   Aberdeenshire

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 28 February 15 08:57 GMT (UK) »
Nigg after getting married. Do you think I should try re-posting on the Kincardine forum?

No. It's much better to keep everything in a single thread rather than lots of different ones. That way people won't duplicate what others have already found.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 28 February 15 09:05 GMT (UK) »
Do you know if it is likely that there will be records of Richard's siblings, sons or daughters of Ina and George? (About 110 - 90 years ago I would think)
There will be, but you will not be able to access online any births less than 100 years ago.

Also is it possible through Scotland's People to access the names of possible living relatives?
Yes, but only if you can visit the SP Centre in Edinburgh*. You cannot access births less than 100 years ago, marriages less than 75 years ago and deaths less than 50 years ago online.

You could, of course, hire a professional searcher to look for living descendants. A couple of days of a searcher's time would be cheaper than a plane ticket and hotel bill. There are links to lists of professional searchers on the SP web site.

*Some other places in Scotland also have access to the database, for example the family history section in the Mitchell Library in Glasgow, but if you're coming from outside Scotland Edinburgh is the main centre.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 28 February 15 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to Forfarian for the advice. I have an uncle who is in his 90s who still lives in Aberdeen. Perhaps I'll write to him to see if he can help, but I'm not sure how good his memory of events and people from 70+ years ago is likely to be.
Burt, Cockrill, Craske, Debenham, Double, Grimwade, Grimwood, Hilder, Mayhew, Ray. All from  West Suffolk around the Bury St. Edmunds area.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 28 February 15 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps I'll write to him to see if he can help

Excellent idea. You have nothing to lose but the cost of a stamp.

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 01 March 15 09:50 GMT (UK) »
I have found out that the farm was called Altens Farm, Nigg. I see from Google maps that there is a road called Altens Farm Road right next to the dual carriageway of Wellington Road. There is also an industrial estate called Altens Industrial Estate between that road and the coast road from Girdle Ness to Cove Bay.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 01 March 15 10:10 GMT (UK) »
I have found out that the farm was called Altens Farm, Nigg.

See these maps showing the farm before the industrial estate was built
http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=15&lat=57.11236&lon=-2.06188&layers=5
http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=15&lat=57.11237&lon=-2.06188&layers=6

If you use the slider labelled <> you can toggle between either map and the modern satellite view.

There are some photos of the industrial estate at http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NJ9502

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 01 March 15 13:15 GMT (UK) »
Forfarian, Thanks so much for the map link. I haven't come across that website before. Absolutely wonderful! Also had a look at my part of Suffolk using it as well.