Author Topic: Foster family, Moville Upper  (Read 3315 times)

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Foster family, Moville Upper
« on: Saturday 28 February 15 11:37 GMT (UK) »
I am interested in the above family as my ancestors were tenant farmers in the townland of Ballyrattan from at least the mid 18th century through most of the 20th century.

The landlord in 1890 was a William J. Foster, unsure when he became landlord, Thomas Ferguson was their  landlord at the time of the Griffith Valuation in 1858. A letter in Proni from 1847 states that the land was in possession of Mr Thomas Ferguson for some debt of Sir A. Chichester, so he may have sold the land to the Foster family sometime after the 1850's.

The Irish Land Commission record below shows that William J Foster was landlord for almost the entire townland in 1890(Although my McCorkell ancestors do not appear on this list for some reason?)
 http://www.dippam.ac.uk/eppi/documents/18490/page/491404

One of my McCorkell forebears was renting his farm at Ballyrattan from a Mrs EA Foster in 1917, it appears that the land was still being rented by my family from the same landlords up until the 1980's, as I have seen a purchase of 3 acres from the Foster family recorded in the revision books as late as 1980.

I believe the William J Foster was William John Foster of Londonderry who owned 2400 acres of land in Donegal in 1876, he died in 1891 at Portrush, county Antrim.

I was wondering if anyone had information on the Foster family and if any estate records exist for their Donegal estate?
Also wondering was it unusual not to buy out the lease at the time of the Land Purchase Acts of the late 19th and early 20th centuries?

Thanks for reading

Joe

McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Foster family, Moville Upper
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 March 15 09:48 GMT (UK) »
Some additional information I have managed to gather on the above Foster family

William James Foster = Elizabeth Allen 19th Dec 1861 Great James street Presbyterian church
WJ Foster of Coolkeeragh House, High Sheriff of Donegal, father William Foster
Died 23rd Jan 1891, Bath Somerset (Late of Portrush County Antrim)
Elizabeth Allen Foster recorded in the 1901 census, Portrush, aged 63, I loose sight of her after that, but my family were still paying rents to her in 1917, she would have been 79, I think she may have moved to England after 1901

One daughter I can find Emily Patterson Foster born 31/08/1864
Interestingly she married a Thomas Fredrick MacNeece in 1888 in Marylebone London, one of their children William Foster MacNeece rose to the rank of Air Vice-Marshall during WW2 and was a member of the joint chiefs of staff

Anyway none of the above helps me with rental records but may help someone make a connection to the family
McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America