Author Topic: Anyone interested in Saunders family members originally from Uffington Berkshire  (Read 10013 times)

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone interested in Saunders family members originally from Uffington Berkshire
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 14 October 15 14:02 BST (UK) »
Hello Sally,

Thank you very much for your message. Saunders family is peripheral to my life and death struggle with my paternal line. Interest is through my grandmother, Florence Saunders 1878 - 1953. She was half sister to John Saunders 1859 - 1931. Their father was Anthony Saunders 1828 - 1899, John's  mother Mary Fuller 1831 - c1866, my grandmothers mother Lydia Saunders(Franklyn) 1840 - 1931.

I have had some correspondence with 'K' (you probably know her) in Australia this year, exchange of information and photographs. She sent me a photograph of John Saunders in uniform of the New South Wales Mounted Police 1890's. If you look up NSW Mounted Police website I'm pretty sure the only historical Photo is of John Saunders but a couple of years before.   
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline canton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone interested in Saunders family members originally from Uffington Berkshire
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 24 December 16 00:23 GMT (UK) »
I hope I am not too late to beg for copies of your Saunders info. My Mum is a Saunders from Uffington area, and I am currently working on a history of the family - since time began, or so it seems!  I am also doing a write-up for Tom Brown's Museum, as some of the info that they have with regard to the founder, Thomas Saunders, is incorrect. I would love your information if you are still prepared to share. I am from Cardiff, but live in Canada for half the year.
I do have a lot of information from wills, etc for the Saunders in Uffington/Wolstone/ashbury area, since they first arrived in the Shire if anyone is interested in connecting with me.

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 24 December 16 09:32 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning Canton. Please PM me and also send me your e-mail addy.
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 23 January 17 18:34 GMT (UK) »
Just as well I did not mark this Thread 'closed'. Canton contacted me yesterday and it's opened the whole matter up. The limit of my researches was Anthony Saunders 1828 -1899. Apparently my line through my grandmother goes back to Richard Saunders born 1724. My central heating died on Friday and I am confined to a box room with a small electric blower heater where my computer is. When I can get all the Saunders stuff out on the dining room table, the matter can be carried further. 

Offline DineySaunders

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hi, the two Saunders gents you refer to who may have visited England during WWI were my grandfather (John - d 1931) and his brother - 2 of the 3 sons of John Saunders, the above mentioned police superintendent of Goldburn. I would be very grateful for more photos or information (we also have some to share, too.

Offline DineySaunders

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hi, the two Saunders gents you refer to who may have visited England during WWI were my grandfather (John - d 1931) and his brother - 2 of the 3 sons of John Saunders, the above mentioned police superintendent of Goldburn. I would be very grateful for more photos or information (we also have some to share, too.

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Hello Diney,

Very pleasant to connect. I expect you know Kathy, who sent me a Tree and pics.

The young men who were in the Great War visited the family in Uffington, Berks, now Oxfordshire, when on leave. John Hurley, later Sir John Hurley visited my grandmother in Slough in the 30's. He must have lived there for a while as management at Berlei, Slough. A modern facory and offices, which is still there as far as I know.

We will have to go to e-mails soon, so I can send you pics. and attachments.

Thank you for getting in touch.

Roger

Added: exchange of e-mail addresses by private message, not on here.

My grandmother, Florence Saunders (1878 - 1953) was half sister to John Saunders, same fathers, different mothers.

Offline DineySaunders

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hi again ,
I have recently posted incorrect information.My grandfather was William John Saunders (1895-1954)He was one of 5 sons of Superintendant John Saunders (died 1931)He and his brother, Horace Hunter Saunders fought on the Western front and would have visited their relatives in Uffington whilst on leave.A third brother HowardSaunders also fought there but was repatriated to Australia after 18 months in the trenches aged only 18.One of the 2 daughters of John Saunders (Alice-my great aunt)married Sir John Hurley.
Regards Diney

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Hello again,

That all makes sense. William John 1895 - 1955, Horace Hunter 1897 - ? and Alice Edith 1905 - 1975.

Are you going to PM me with your e-mail address so I can send you a Saunders family tree and photographs. I have Lydia Jane Saunders 1840 - 1931, John Hurley outside Saunders house in Uffington and others.