Author Topic: McGOWANS to MCGOUNS  (Read 2312 times)

Offline DaughteredOut

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McGOWANS to MCGOUNS
« on: Saturday 28 February 15 20:59 GMT (UK) »
i hope someone out there might have some clues.  i now have traced my McGOWANs of Kincardine by Doune back to John MCGOUN married to Helin MURRAY (of Kilmadock) in 1694.  they have a bunch of kids that i have followed.  however, John MCGOUN's father is reportedly John MCGOUN married to an Alison YOUNG. i've looked extensively around Perthshire and cannot find even closely matching name variants.  the info i have on them is potentially very flawed. it also seems that this is the time when records become more sparse (mid 1600's back.) being i cannot hop a flight (no $$$) & (i live in US) and search in person, i could really use "boots-on-the-ground" (isn't that just such an American coin phrase,gag) help.  all my searching has to be the free kind, so my next step is rather limited. and i'm not even sure what direction it should take.  people, obviously, moved into the area from somewhere else.  they didn't just pop up out of the mist.  i'm trying to learn where that somewhere else might have been.  THANKS
Kincardine-by-Doune, Perthshire, Scotland:  McGOWAN,  CLARK, etc.
England:  REYNOLDS, etc.

Offline Nancy001

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: McGOWANS to MCGOUNS
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 January 16 20:03 GMT (UK) »
Daughter Out:
I can help you out with your search for The McGowans in the USA. Wm is part of my family too!

Offline DaughteredOut

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 February 16 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Nancy:
    thanks for your reply.  i'm really curious about your connection to William McGOWAN.  should i start calling you cousin Nancy?  i pretty well have the line nailed back to Kincardine-by-Doune at least the male line.  i have none of the why's/wherefores.  obviously in the early 1700's where they lived must have often been a battleground.  are you working from Scotland or the States?
                                                        thanks again,
                                                        DaughteredOut

Offline Nancy001

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 February 16 23:46 GMT (UK) »
I'm sure we are cousins however many removed. Im working from the States. I am so happy to hear from you so soon realizing
You posted last year. I was just checking where my family came from and I was so surprised to see your inquiry for the McGowans. William is a descendant whose father James McGowan immigrated to America late 18 th. Century. He was born Sept. 1975 New York. & died after 1820 in Hoosick Falls, New York he had James, Jacob, & John Clark McGowan, my great grandfather. Are u in the States? My cousin has done a lot of work on the family which I have, & will try & help you. We have lots of Williams, James, & Johns in the family.

Offline DaughteredOut

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 February 16 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Nancy:
Mine is James McGOWAN b1797. He's my 3XGreatgrandfather. John Clark is further back than your greatgrandfather. I have a good amount of stateside info. Looking for more info. from Scotland. Haven't done any work for quite some time.

Offline Nancy001

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 February 16 16:32 GMT (UK) »
My GG father was john Clark Jr. 1838. My 3x grandfather was john Clark 1799. I have john McGowan, kincardine by Doun & his children. He married Helin Murray.
First born was James 1707 would like share more if you would like

Offline Nancy001

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 February 16 19:33 GMT (UK) »
I think our 3x grandfathers were brothers from their Birth dates.

Offline DaughteredOut

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 26 February 16 19:20 GMT (UK) »
yes it would appear our 3Xgrtgrd were brothers. i think mine the elder. do you have the VT/Canada connections? there is a question at least in my lines as to whether product of loyalists. i have lots of info on my line and i may have some on yours by default.