Author Topic: Effingham Howard Grant (97th Reg) of Carron born 1776, Elginshire  (Read 5074 times)

Offline larkspur3

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Effingham Howard Grant (97th Reg) of Carron born 1776, Elginshire
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 29 September 15 03:25 BST (UK) »
True, but then what? I always see it noted that Capt Lewis Grant of Auchterblair who married Eliz Grant dau of John Grant of Carron is descended from James Grant of Auchernach through his third son, James Grant of Auchterblair, who married in 1629 Agnes, dau of Robert Grant of Lurg. In between is Robert Grant of Auchterblair c 1658-1670. But I've never seen anything that provides a definitive link between James, Robert and/or Lewis. Do you have one? If so, do share!

Offline Kenneth Grant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 30 January 19 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello, Sam, I just got on this site, and have found pretty much the same information as on several other Genealogy sites.  I will follow your comments and keep up with the messages on this site.
Thanks.

Offline camcam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 27 June 21 00:42 BST (UK) »
Hello, just came across this too, time  (and DNA tests) are a wonderful thing . I think I may have stumbled across where your Gordon came in?.. you may know this by now or not but it would be great to have confirmation if you or others have come across the same thing

https://www.patrickspeople.scot/our%20family/9716.htm

it's the unknown "Grant" b: 1635, married to Deborah (only child of the Auchterblair line) I think would be the Gordon

according to Scottish custom when that happens  the male takes the female name which would have meant their children should have been called Gordon-Grant (if of course that is where it happened) however maybe that's got lost in the mists of time being a little bit earlier than the custom