Author Topic: Betsy Scott - born Milnathort 3 Jul 1881  (Read 3162 times)

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Aye mair questions than answers!
    • View Profile
Betsy Scott - born Milnathort 3 Jul 1881
« on: Sunday 01 March 15 12:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

I have Betsy (3 Jul 1881 - Sep 1962) in my tree, attached to her husband John Inglis (16 Jul 1880 - 18 May 1956). They were married in Kirkcaldy on 27 Jun 1902 and emigrated first to Saskatchewan, Canada in 1911 then to Seattle, Washington, USA in 1923. They had two daughters, Ivy (born in Kirkcaldy) and Jacqueline (born in Regina, Saskatchewan)

A shot in the dark here, and I know I could find out through ScotlandsPeople, but I'm just wondering if anyone happens to know who Betsy's parents were?  I'm struggling to find her in the 1891 and 1901 Census  ::)

Regards

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Family surnames being researched ...
Crawford, Neilson, Lindsay, Reekie, Davidson
Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Betsy Scott - born Milnathort 3 Jul 1881
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 March 15 13:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi

As you know her marriage date - downloading a copy of her marriage cert from SP will give her parents names and her mothers maiden name

Could she be the 1891 entry for Bessy Scott aged 9 b Orwell Kinross and living in Fife with mother Ann?  1881 census shows father was Ebenezer
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 March 15 15:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi CaroleW

Thanks for you reply.  I'd wondered about that entry  :-\

As I said in my original post, "... I know I could find out through ScotlandsPeople ..." but I was just hoping someone would happen to know who Betsy's parents were.

There's usually a RootsChatter out there with an answer!

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 March 15 17:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi again CaroleW

You could be right  :)

Although outside the County, the website of the Fife Family History Society shows: "PARISH OF ORWELL - THIS PARISH, containing the town of Milnathort ..."

I'll dig deeper into the roots!

Chiad Fhear

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 March 15 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Could she be the 1891 entry for Bessy Scott aged 9 b Orwell Kinross and living in Fife with mother Ann?  1881 census shows father was Ebenezer

Hi again Carole W

Digging deeper now  8)

There's an 1891 Census on Ancestry shows her living at Devon Cottage in the Parish of Kettle, Fife with parents James and Ann (m.s. McPherson) - which is where her husband-to-be John Inglis was born!  The estimated year of birth is 1880 - Betsy was born July 1881.

I need to go to Edinburgh next week  >:(

Chiad Fhear