Author Topic: Albert Winstanley, theatre architect (b. 1876)  (Read 3410 times)

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Albert Winstanley, theatre architect (b. 1876)
« on: Sunday 01 March 15 13:56 GMT (UK) »
I should be very interested if anyone has any knowledge of this individual. I have found him in the 1911 census, and there are references online to various northern English and Scottish theatres he built or refurbished. Winstanley seems to have been based in Lancashire throughout his life. I should like to know more about his career, and also if anyone happens to know about how an architect's office worked in the early 20th century (a long shot but worth trying!) I'd be glad to hear from you as well.
Condick; Bull (Herefordshire only); Layard; Wilmot; Southgate; Fowlie (Singapore branch); Usher (Dundrum); Kelley (Lancashire);

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Albert Winstanley, theatre architect (b. 1876)
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 March 15 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I have, and it is most of the biographical information I've got so far, plus the 1911 census. I can't find him in 1901 census.
Condick; Bull (Herefordshire only); Layard; Wilmot; Southgate; Fowlie (Singapore branch); Usher (Dundrum); Kelley (Lancashire);

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 March 15 14:10 GMT (UK) »
The Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 26 June 1943 has a report on the inquest into the death of Albert Winstanley (67) widower and retired architect Orchard Road, St. Annes-on-sea. He died from injuries received when he fell from the platform in front of a train at Kirkham railway station on May 30th. The verdict was "misadventure".

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 March 15 14:57 GMT (UK) »
Goodness me! Rather a coincidence that his former assistant Norman (main subject of interest to me) died in 1940 in a road traffic accident.

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 March 15 14:58 GMT (UK) »
In 1901:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X9GB-SLQ

Can't see him on A*try even with the ref. numbers from f*past:
RG13
Piece number 3985/ Folio 169 /Page 25

He's in a lodging house and his occupation is architect.

Maureen

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 March 15 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Maureen! It is noticeable that in this and all other census entries (easy to find on A) he is born in Lancashire and living in Lancashire. I can't imagine why wherever he is cited as the architect of a theatre or cinema he is always described as being Scottish. No-one could BE more Lancastrian.

Offline Stewart Green

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 March 15 00:06 GMT (UK) »
Surprisingly little is known about Albert Winstanley the architect of the 1911 Lyceum Theatre in Crewe.
According to the Scottish Architects website he was born in Scotland in 1876 and died at the aged of 67 in 1943 with very little information about his life this however could be wrong.
We know that at the end of his life he lived in 53 Orchard Road, Lytham St Annes and on his death bequeathed three marble statues to the Lytham St Annes Art Collection. This has led to the discovery of an Albert Winstanley born between January and March 1876 in Southport, Lancashire or North Meols, Lancashire to Henry Winstanley (Written in the 1911 Census as Hearty Winstanley) born in 1840 at Bamber Bridge (or Bansher Bridge in Census), Lancashire and his wife Elizabeth born in 1838 at Crosby, Westmorland, Lancashire. The couple were Married for 28 years before her death (Date not known so far but before the 1911 Census). 
The 1876 Lancashire Births Deaths and Marriages has Albert Winstanley registered at Ormskirk Ref 8b 806.

In 1881 the family lived at 7 Victoria Street, North Meoles, Lancashire where Henry (41) was listed as being born in Walton Le Dale, Lancashire and was an Iron Moulder.
     1881 CENSUS at 7 Victoria Street.
        Henry Winstanley    41(.b. c1840)    Iron Moulder
         Elizabeth Winstanley    43 (.b. c1838)      Wife
        Albert Winstanley    5 (.b. c1876)    Son
        Calvery Turner       34
        Henry Lovatt       45
        William Shaw       58
        Hannah Shaw       42
         Josephine Shaw       6
        Ashworth Kitchen    27
        Agnes Kitchen         20
     1891 CENSUS at 7 Victoria Street.
        Henry Winstanley    41(.b. c1840)    Iron Moulder
         Elizabeth Winstanley    43 (.b. c1838)      Wife
        Albert Winstanley    5 (.b. c1876)    Son
        Henry Lovatt       45
        Lucy Lovatt        (NEW)
        Christian Warwick      66 (NEW)
        Edith Warwick       20 (NEW)
In 1897 and 1908 Albert was responsible for designing the “Grand Picture House” in Lancaster.
In 1897 Albert Winstanley was given the task of installing a new stage and small fly tower in to the theatre.
In 1908 a Fire gutted the building losing the interior completely and Albert Winstanley was brought in as the architect to design a new theatre to fit inside the remaining walls.
In 1909 Albert Winstanley formed his first partnership with Arnold England of Rochdale, Lancashire. The following year they moved into premises in 49 Deansgate Manchester and in St Annes-on-sea. It was then that he was given the task of rebuilding the Lyceum theatre in Crewe (1911). 

The 1911 Census shows Albert at 13 St Albans Road, St Annes on Sea as a single man living with his father Henry now aged 71 and widowed. Albert was listed as being an Architect / Surveyor.

In 1911 Albert was given the task of designing the “Original Art Cinema” in Haymarket St, Bury, Lancashire.
Two years after the original Art Cinema development in 1913 Albert was responsible for the “Picture House”, Wakefield.

In 1919 Albert Winstanley was joined by an assistant called Charles Hamilton MacKeith who stayed with him until 1928 when he branched out on his own.

Another assistant of Albert Winstanley’s was called Norman who died in a road traffic accident in 1940.

Albert died at the age of 67 on the 30 May 1943 after falling in-front of a train at Kirkham Railway Station. At this time he was living at 53 Orchard Road, St Anne’s-on-Sea. An inquest into the death recorded a verdict of “Misadventure” and was reported in the Lancashire Evening Post on Saturday the 26 June 1943.

After his death his will bequeathed 3 Marble Statues to the Lytham St Anne’s Art Collection.
As far as I know this is all the information we have about him. The only other things we have of Albert’s are the buildings he designed including the Lyceum Theatre, which has been restored to how it would have looked on the day it was opened in 1911 and we still have his original plans for the building which have been copied into the Lyceum History files.

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 22 March 15 07:36 GMT (UK) »
Dear Stewart
Thank you so much for this astonishingly detailed reply, for which I am extremely grateful. My interest in Winstanley arises from my research into Norman Kelley, the former assistant who was killed in a traffic accident in 1940, who is one of ten men who appear in a 1915 photograph taken at Sandhurst. (I am researching all of them.)

I should be interested to know how you know so much about Winstanley? Are you particularly interested in theatre architecture, or in the history of Lytham?
Very best wishes and thanks again
Frances