Author Topic: Raploch Enquiry Mathews  (Read 2617 times)

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
Raploch Enquiry Mathews
« on: Monday 02 March 15 10:16 GMT (UK) »
 Haven't been in the Stirlingshire boards before, so Hi!  My enquiry is in regard to an address on a Passenger list.  My Dad left Scotland in 1926 , NZ bound, with his parents, Jane And Robert Mathews. I have found them on the passenger list and see the last place of residence is 12 Raploch, Stirling.

I didn't know that he had lived there, as he had grown up in Glasgow, but maybe they were that I didn't know of!  The other inspirational thought I had was that maybe they were staying with someone in my grandmother's family before they left.  I wonder please, if someone could check out that address on 1911 census and maybe any electoral roll to see who lived there?

The names that may be the householders would be from my grandmothers family. Names could be Douglas, Welsh, Walker, Howie, Reid.  Long shot, but I'd love to know who they were staying with!
My Dad's family was Mathews, but his parents didn't marry until 1912,  and lived in Glasgow, or so I I thought!

My grandmother's maiden name was Jane Douglas, 1st husband was Samuel Welsh, and the other names are her family as well. Other name might be Hall, a daughter of my grandmother from her first Marriage.

Appreciate if anyone can investigate this for me. Thanks a million!

😃 Jeanne

"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline SandyMcJ

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Raploch Enquiry Mathews
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 March 15 14:24 GMT (UK) »
Your best bet is probably the valuation rolls on Scotlands People. I suspect 1911 census may be a bit too early. There is a street directory for 1913/14 available free on the internet archive. People listed at 12 Raploch are

Mulroy, Mrs
Keaney, Patrick, mason
Joyce, Mrs
Conroy, John, labourer
Donnelly, Mrs

There are 2 Welshes listed in Raploch - Jas (a drainer) at no 6 and John (a miner) at no 27. Couldn't see any other names that you listed, but hopefully you will be able to check through link below in case I missed anything.
https://archive.org/details/stirlingdistrictstir

Do you have marriage record from 1912 and does it have any addresses?

Sandy

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 March 15 23:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi   :)

As Sandy suggests, Valuation Rolls, likely best way to proceed for now. Pay to view on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk but not expensive (you need to buy units to view images and search results). The last Valuation Roll database currently available is 1925.

From just viewing a general search result (1 unit) - HOUSE 12 RAPLOCH, Stirling Burgh:

Mrs Jane Forrester, owner, house
John Condroy, tenant
Patrick Condroy, tenant
William Edmond, tenant

Not sure if this help you now  :-\

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 March 15 05:37 GMT (UK) »
So sorry Sandy and Monica, but I missed these posts.  Thank you so much for your replies.

The addresses on the Marriage document of my grandparents are in Glasgow. So no clues there. The name Welsh could possibly be a clue for me though, as my grandmother's first husband was  Samuel Welsh. I will have a check on those Welshes on my tree, as I think Samuel had a few brothers. The other names don't ring any bells for me, but maybe a can find a Welsh connection to the tenants in 12 Raploch! I'll do a few more searches and see what I can come up with.

Much appreciation
Jeanne 😃

"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
WALKER,   Scotland
& Connections

Offline graemewelsh1967

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 March 15 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Good afternoon,
My name is Graeme Welsh from Paisley(Renfrewshire near Glasgow).I have been researching my family tree about the welsh family that I have found out came from St.ninians area around Stirling.
12 Raploch is no longer there(it is now a roundabout which leads up to St.ninians old parish church).
I think one of my relations lived there around the turn of the 20th century.
If I can help with anything please contact me.
I have found Scotlandspeople very helpful. I am back to 1740 so far !!!!
All the best
Graeme

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 March 15 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Graeme, and thank you for your interest. The parents of my Douglas grandmother's first husband Samuel Welsh, were Martin Welsh and Mary McDowell. They were both Irish! They lived in Dalry, Ayshire, at least when Samuel was born.  Samuel Welsh was something to do with leather and shoes. When his son Martin came to New Zealand, he later followed in his father's footsteps (pardon the pun), and became a Leather Merchant, developing a successful family business, which still carries on.

The chn born to Martin Welsh and Mary McDowell were sons Samuel, Robert, John, William, Martin, James, David, and girls Jane, Mary and Eliza. All born between 1856 and 1878, I think all b Ayrshire. 

It was just such a surprise to see that Raploch address on the passenger list of the ship that brought my Grandparents and children to NZ in 1924. Dad had only ever spoken of living in Glasgow as a child so it was puzzling!

That's why I wondered if perhaps they were making visits to family connected to my Grandma. My Grandpa's family was in England, so wouldn't have been them.

It's just a minor detail really, but these things happen!  As I widen my research of my grandmother's siblings families, something may well come to light!  In the meantime, thanks to Monica, Sandy and Graeme for your contributions. Much appreciated!

Jeanne 😃

FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
WALKER,   Scotland
& Connections