Author Topic: Isabel/Isobel/Isabella were popular names in the Hairstanes family  (Read 3074 times)

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Isabel/Isobel/Isabella were popular names in the Hairstanes family
« on: Saturday 28 February 15 03:00 GMT (UK) »
This is a family I have been looking at.  Isabel/Isobel/Isabella were popular names in the Hairstanes family.

The Isabel that was the relict of Rev John Mathison/Mathieson was born in about 1691 to Mathew Hairstanes of Craigs and Marie Douglas, daughter of James Douglas of Pinzearie and Jean Hepburn.  They married in Edinburgh on 28 April 1715.  On Familysearch I have found 10 children (all with various spellings of Hairstanes) born between 1717 and 1732.  There may be others.

Also in the Edinburgh register is the marriage of her niece, Isobel, to Ebenezer McCulloch, merchant of North Kirk parish, in 1774.  It says she is Mrs Isobel Hairstanes.  That would mean she had been married before wouldn't it?  Isobel's parents are William Hairstanes of Craigs and Mary Maxwell. 

Mary was apparently the sister of the father of the Dr William Maxwell who married Elizabeth Hairstanes (as I have read that he/she married his/her cousin german).  Elizabeth Hairstanes became Lady Alva by her second marriage.

This Valuation Roll might be relevant to the Brown/Hairstanes connection.
https://books.google.co.nz/books?id=K59RAAAAYAAJ&pg=PR27&lpg=PR27&dq=hairstanes+william+brown&source=bl&ots=TBuGrpRMqI&sig=PkOEnaXD8LGB2Xs4rpwQuP0DAbE&hl=en&sa=X&ei=sybxVODlBYa8mAX7_oLgCA&ved=0CDgQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=hairstanes%20william%20brown&f=false

Offline Joyful

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My beautiful Mum & Uncle Neil
    • View Profile
Re: Isabel/Isobel/Isabella were popular names in the Hairstanes family
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 March 15 03:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi hurworth

What exactly is the information you are seeking?

This post will bump this up the board for you :)

Joy
Anderson R&C & Orkney, Jack, Patience, Hood R&C, McVicar Argll & Glasgow, Gourlay Glasgow, Docherty Glasgow, McNicol Argyll, Leask Orkney, Cumming Okney,
Tait Orkney, Brown Orkney, Sinclair Orkney, Craigie Orkney, Foulis Orkney, Beard Gloucester & Bundarra NSW, Pamplin Cambridge & NSW, Ashman Cambridge, McCarthy Ireland & Glen Innes NSW, Raleigh Ireland, Connelly Ireland, Waldron Ireland.
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 March 15 03:51 GMT (UK) »
Can you post requests for different couples separately please (although on this thread) as it is very confusing  :-\

There is way too much info. deviating in all directions like spaghetti junction  ;D but no real questions as such  ???

The only real question I see is whether niece Isobel was married before & being Mrs Hairstanes  ???

Where did you see her referred to as Mrs Hairstaines please  ???

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 March 15 22:19 GMT (UK) »
On Familysearch I have found 10 children (all with various spellings of Hairstanes) born between 1717 and 1732.
Be careful with any information you find online, especially in the 'community contributed' part of the IGI on Family Search. Use it as a finding aid, and make a point of checking the original documents.

Also in the Edinburgh register is the marriage of her niece, Isobel, to Ebenezer McCulloch, merchant of North Kirk parish, in 1774.  It says she is Mrs Isobel Hairstanes.  That would mean she had been married before wouldn't it?

Absolutely not.

In Scotland a woman does not legally change her surname on marriage, which is why you get the mother's maiden surname in most Scottish baptism records (if you get a mother's name at all, that is!). Until the early 19th century it was customary for a woman to be known by her maiden name all her life. You often find wives listed in the early census by the maiden names, and references to 'Mrs Jean xxxx wife of John yyyy.'

Also a middle or upper class woman was accorded the title 'Mistress', which is what Mrs is an abbreviation of, just as nowadays in French a woman is 'Madame' and in German 'Frau', in Russian 'Gospodina', in Italian 'Signora', in Spanish 'Seņora' and so on irrespective of her marital status. English is the only major European language that demands to know whether or not a woman is married before deciding how to address her. So in 1774 'Mistress Isobel Hairstanes' means that Hairstanes is her maiden name.

I have found in 18th century registers references to the baptisms of children to 'Mr Alexander Leslie and Mrs Anne Duff his spouse' and similar.

There's also the famous song by Lady Nairne, when the Laird o' Cockpen goes to ask his neighbour's daughter to marry him, and the young and obviously unmarried lady is consistently referred to as 'Mistress Jean'.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 March 15 06:05 GMT (UK) »
I posted this here originally, but it was moved. 
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=503768.0

I think it's great that women kept their name - mind you, with life expectancy as it was, they could get through the spouses rather quickly so it was easier to stick with your original name.  I should let my father know that I'm following the Scottish tradition. ;)

Thank you for clarifying about "Mrs".  I didn't think she'd had a prior marriage, but then I thought this could mean she had.