Author Topic: Help needed - one person or two?  (Read 8273 times)

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed - one person or two?
« Reply #27 on: Monday 02 March 15 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Any idea why it would be registered twice? Does that mean she would have gone to the registry office twice?

The births are indexed twice, not registered twice. You will see that the index gives the same volume and page number for both, and there is actually only one entry in the register.

Children born to an unmarried mother show in the  index under her surname, and if the father has been present to allow his name to be recorded in the register, the  birth will also be indexed under his surname. (Until 1969 birth certificates for England and Wales did not have a space to enter a surname for the child, only those of the parents)
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ~Rachel~

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 10:55 GMT (UK) »
Any idea why it would be registered twice? Does that mean she would have gone to the registry office twice?

The births are indexed twice, not registered twice. You will see that the index gives the same volume and page number for both, and there is actually only one entry in the register.

Children born to an unmarried mother show in the  index under her surname, and if the father has been present to allow his name to be recorded in the register, the  birth will also be indexed under his surname. (Until 1969 birth certificates for England and Wales did not have a space to enter a surname for the child, only those of the parents)

OK thanks for that. Never ever realised this and it seems like it's one of the basics!

What's your opinion on this, do you think it's all the same person or two different ones?
Waite, Marchant, Nash, Goddard, Pocock, Hiles, Switzer, Larondie, Harris, Radford, Monger, Harper, Harris, Sixsmith, Fitzgerald.

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 13:12 GMT (UK) »
I'd be inclined to think that you are looking at the same person, given what you know about him - but that is only an opinion.

However, so far as the birthplace given on the death certificate is concerned, the information is only what the informant happens to believe to be the truth, and nobody at the register office takes any measures to confirm it.  So all you  know from that is that Lewis might have said he was born in Ireland, or maybe only that the informant thought he was.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 17:20 GMT (UK) »
Just a suggestion, given the Ormskirk etc links in registrations: There are MASSIVE numbers of Rymer/Rimer/Rhymer/Rimmer and other variants in the Southport / Ormskirk area, almost everyone with any family from the Southport area finds a few somewhere in their tree. There's an online forum - I think you'll get there through the Southport Family History Society website, can't dig up the address just now, but it's free to join and post, and they have some DEMON family link finders on there!
It's not a busy site, but excellent at hunting stuff and people down, and they often go that extra mile for you - one hunted out maps for me, really kind.
There's also the Park Database which has oodles of Rimmers etc. You can get to that directly through that forum, too.
Try joining their forum, and post under Surname variants, sit back - and I'll bet you'll get a clue or two to help you make sense. Good hunting.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline ~Rachel~

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 16 March 15 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the advice - I've signed up to the forum, hopefully someone there will be able to help me!
Waite, Marchant, Nash, Goddard, Pocock, Hiles, Switzer, Larondie, Harris, Radford, Monger, Harper, Harris, Sixsmith, Fitzgerald.

Offline benrymer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 08 October 17 16:18 BST (UK) »
Hello there,
I wonder if any further information came to light on Lewis Robert Rymer? He is my grandfather and I would like to confirm more information about him, specifically his birthplace, which I can only find listed as 'southern Ireland'. Any help with this would be very welcome!
Many thanks
Ben Rymer

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 08 October 17 18:37 BST (UK) »
Lewis appears on the 1939 Register (which has appeared online since this thread was last active) in the same area as the birth mentioned in the first post. Of course the register does not mention places of birth.

I've also looked at the Merchant Seamen records on FindMyPast; The first ship mentioned on there is the M/V "Asturias" (148146), which was in use on the Southampton - Buenos Aires run.
Then comes the "Andes" (135497) which in 1929 was repurposed from the Southampton - Buenos Aires run to be a cruise ship and renamed "Atlantis".
Both these ships survived WWII and were used to take emigrants to Australia.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline benrymer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 10:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks this is helpful. I found the Merchant Navy registration card for the Asturias trip. This gives his birthplace as Liverpool and birthdate as Feb 26 1900.

Still no luck in locating a birth certificate however, however I'm going to persevere with the army record and see if any secondary materials can shed some more light.

Offline EeyoreBlue

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 13:32 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I'm stuck on some research and could do with some more opinions.

I am trying to research a Lewis Robert Rymer. I'll start with the only thing that I have as a definite fact:

I have his son's birth certificate from 1938 (not posting personal details) and the birth was registered in Woodford, Essex. Lewis Robert Rymer's occupation is given as Bulider's Labourer. Mother's maiden name is Gaylor and both have signed the informant section. As far as I can tell they never married.

The problem starts in that Lewis Rymer disappeared from that family's life around 1944. At the time the family were living in Scotland after having been evacuated due to the war.

Nothing is known by the family about what happened to Lewis Rymer after that date. I have not been able to locate a birth certificate.

I have two marriage certificates, one from 1930 and one for 1951 that are both for a Lewis Robert Rymer. The ages and fathers are different on each suggesting two completely different people, however I have a suspicion they may be the same. Mostly because the occupation is the same on each, and the second is exactly 10 years different in age (maybe he felt like knocking a few years off, maybe he never divorced the first time round).

I also have a death certificate from 1973, the age ties in with the 1930 marriage cert. In addition to this, I have a merchant seaman record from 1930 which confirms the date of birth on the death cert. However death certificate gives place of birth as Republic of Ireland and merchant seaman record gives it as Liverpool. And I still don't know if he is definitely the right person.

I can't find anything else further backwards, 1911 census etc that matches up with either marriage cert

There are a couple of stories that I've heard as well but don't want to get into too much detail to start off with.

Luckily enough it's an unusual name but I need to know if people think this is all the same person?

Any ideas on how I can go about unraveling this?  :)

I know it seems obvious, but have you tried searching lookalike names rather than soundalikes?  It never occurred to me until someone on here kindly pointed it out to me.  I found a "Burns" mistranscribed / miswritten as "Bunn".  Worth a thought!
Marshall (Northumberland)
Burns (Scotland, Durham, Northumberland)
Chilton (Northumberland, Cumbria, Durham)
Dixon (Northumberland)
Brown (Northumberland, Cumbria)
Tallentire & variants (Durham)
Phillips (Briton Ferry, Wales)
Seaton (Cumbria)
Moffat (Cumbria)
Garstang (Cumbria, Lancashire)