Author Topic: Help needed - one person or two?  (Read 8268 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed - one person or two?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 02 March 15 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Maybe someone can dig something out on these - WW1 Service Medal - Lewis Rymer - 1914 - 1920 - Private in the Duke of Cambridge's Own (Middlesex) Regiment - Previous Units - G/80226. 4th I.L. Coy. Middx R. Pte
Medal Awarded - British War Medal and Victory Medal.

Dated 27 th May 1920 Hanwell

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline ~Rachel~

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 02 March 15 18:12 GMT (UK) »
Maybe someone can dig something out on these - WW1 Service Medal - Lewis Rymer - 1914 - 1920 - Private in the Duke of Cambridge's Own (Middlesex) Regiment - Previous Units - G/80226. 4th I.L. Coy. Middx R. Pte
Medal Awarded - British War Medal and Victory Medal.

Dated 27 th may 1920 Hanwell

Sandra

I've had a look at that - unfortunately not much info! There is a Lewis Rymer (no middle name) born 1896 in Shadwell, Middlesex that I thought may be connected to the military records.

No birth record that I can find for him either (just to complicate further) and he only seems to appear on the 1911 census with his father Jacob who is from Hungary!

I'm so stuck
Waite, Marchant, Nash, Goddard, Pocock, Hiles, Switzer, Larondie, Harris, Radford, Monger, Harper, Harris, Sixsmith, Fitzgerald.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 02 March 15 19:00 GMT (UK) »
The one born 1896 Shadwell, Middlesex,  Later his occupation was Gentleman's Apprentice Hairdresser  - which seems to agree with  1934 Kelly's Directory for Lewis Rymer - Hairdrssr - 26 - 28 King St.

and British Phone book entries -  1946/48/50/52 for counties - Essex, Norfolk, Cambridge, Bedford, Oxford, Berkshire, Surrey, Kent, Sussex. (64 High Street Ramsgate)

That doesn't look like the one you described who was a builders labourer.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 02 March 15 19:10 GMT (UK) »
The same guy is listed on ancestry tree as son of Jacob Rymer - born 1868 in Hungary passed away 8/4 1938 in  Ramsgate, Kent. (there is a death registered - Thanet 2a - 1427) Mother Leah Tafler born 1869 in  London, England passed away 25/02/1919 in  London. (There is a death of a Leah Rymer aged 49 years - March 1919 - Hackney 1b 747) (The tree has no sources for a marriage other than a date of 1895)
Lewis Rymer - born 26 Dec 1893 in  London, England (couldn't see a birth)  passed away  7 Sept 1977 in  (There is a death registered Thanet Kent - Vol 16 page 1662 under Louis Rymer) Ramsgate, Kent.
Married to Violet Shepard Felton born 29 September 1910 in  London,  England passed away March 1982 in  Brighton, Sussex. (No sources for the marriage)
Nothing to back all this up  :-\

Leah Rymer - Edmonton Federation Cemetery - Burial Plot K-1  -

Marriage came under Leah Tofler and Jacob Rimer -  London  - 1 c 106

A Birth of Female Rymer to a Mother Maiden name Felton - 2a 2532 - Q3 July/August/ September 1939 - could be the owner of one of the anc tree

Marriage for a Louis Rymer to Lillian E Hoskins - Q1 Thanet Kent - 5b 1860

Sandra

Offline ~Rachel~

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 02 March 15 19:19 GMT (UK) »
The one born 1896 Shadwell, Middlesex,  Later his occupation was Gentleman's Apprentice Hairdresser  - which seems to agree with  1934 Kelly's Directory for Lewis Rymer - Hairdrssr - 26 - 28 King St.

and British Phone book entries -  1946/48/50/52 for counties - Essex, Norfolk, Cambridge, Bedford, Oxford, Berkshire, Surrey, Kent, Sussex. (64 High Street Ramsgate)

That doesn't look like the one you described who was a builders labourer.

Sandra

Hi Sandra, no it doesn't seem to be the same man.

Although he's only a labourer on the 1938 birth certificate.

On the 1930 marriage cert he's: Waiter (hotel) residence Orchard Hotel, Orchard Street
On the 1951 marriage cert he's: Head Waiter Licensed Hotel

so that doesn't tie in with the labourer either... but does may me think it's the same person despite the 10 year age discrepancy, such an unusual name, and for two to have exactly the same occupation

The death certificate states he's a retired chef.

So actually the only one I can't even really link with the rest of them is the birth cert, which is the important one to me!
Waite, Marchant, Nash, Goddard, Pocock, Hiles, Switzer, Larondie, Harris, Radford, Monger, Harper, Harris, Sixsmith, Fitzgerald.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 02 March 15 19:54 GMT (UK) »
So there are 2 deaths :-

Louis Rymer - Born 26 December 1893 - Aged 83 years - Thanet Kent - Vol 16 Page 1662
This one is the Ramsgate Hair-dresser.

Lewis Robert Rymer -  Born 26 February 1900 - age 73 years - Weston-Super-Mare - 7c 1673

Sandra

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 02 March 15 20:09 GMT (UK) »
I think you are right about Lewis not marrying the mother of the children, as there appear to be 2 birth registrations in 1938; one with surname Rymer and one with Gaylor. The same occurs for a different birth in 1939 of which I'm sure you're aware.
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline ~Rachel~

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 02 March 15 20:31 GMT (UK) »
I think you are right about Lewis not marrying the mother of the children, as there appear to be 2 birth registrations in 1938; one with surname Rymer and one with Gaylor. The same occurs for a different birth in 1939 of which I'm sure you're aware.

Hmm that's interesting, I've never searched just for Gaylor!

Any idea why it would be registered twice? Does that mean she would have gone to the registry office twice?