Author Topic: MILES, Reginald Thomas  (Read 9619 times)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: MILES, Reginald Thomas
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 03:35 GMT (UK) »
Births Mar 1870 
MILES    Percy Thomas  Poplar    1c/680

Outward passenger index
http://prov.vic.gov.au/index_search?searchid=42
MILES P T    8 years   ARISTIDES    Dec 1879 to LONDON Dec    1879/   001

Deaths Mar 1881   
MILES    Percy Thomas  10    London C 1c/11

I know there is a Ken McColl in Australia & he is the great great grandson of Capt. Thomas Miles but that is all I know.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01euq/
Reginald Thomas Miles (b. 4 Sep 1877 at Christchurch, New Zealand – d. 23 Dec 1965 at Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada). He went to Canada from New Zealand in 1901.

Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 04:26 GMT (UK) »
The inscription-

"In affectionate remembrance of Thomas Miles, died 31st May 1879, age 59 years.
Also his wife, Maria, died 16 January 1878, aged 40 years, and their children, Frank Goulson, died 24th May 1878 aged 3 years and 7 months. Amy Barbara died 5th July 1878, aged 6 years and 4 months."

Thomas Miles. Date  of interment 2nd June 1879. Aged 59 years. Of Braybrook. Private. Re-opening. Church of England. No location given

Maud (error on register?) Miles. Date of interment, 18th Jan. 1878. Aged 40 years. Of Maidstone. Re-opening. Church of England. No location given

Anne (error on register?) B Miles. Date of interment 6th July 1878. Aged 6 years 4 months. Of Upper Footscray.Re-opening. Church of England. No location given.

Frank Goulson Miles is not on the burial register at Footscray, but is noted as being memorialised at Footscray.

In view of the fact that each of the burials was noted as a re-opening and his date of death is the earliest, it is quite possible that he was buried there, but somehow omitted from the register.

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 4LauraM

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 05:56 GMT (UK) »
I have the marraige cert. for the marriage of Reginald Thomas MILES to Anna Belle RAY 14 January 1901 at Camp McKinney (Kelowna), BC.

A Don Armitage has done research on Capt. Thomas Miles & his ship the Stirlingshire.

It was my understanding that a brother (or 1/2 sibling, Mother - Ann Thorns) sent Reginald to the College of Waganuie (sp?).
MILES Christchurch, NZ / CLARKE Manchester, UK

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 06:32 GMT (UK) »
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KL1S-V2Z 
Mr R MILES, an Adult Male.
Ship  Aorangi
Departed Wellington  (5th January 1899/ 
Arrived Vancouver (other ports also listed, but that particular Mr R Miles had contracted to land at Vancouver) 
When  January 1899

This is for an R, MILES from NZ to Vancouver, in 1899.   You will need to check and cross check to establish who was R Miles, and what age for that person at that time, before you can even start to consider if it may be your chap.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 06:47 GMT (UK) »
I have the marraige cert. for the marriage of Reginald Thomas MILES to Anna Belle RAY 14 January 1901 at Camp McKinney (Kelowna), BC.

A Don Armitage has done research on Capt. Thomas Miles & his ship the Stirlingshire.

It was my understanding that a brother (or 1/2 sibling, Mother - Ann Thorns) sent Reginald to the College of Waganuie (sp?).

Hi there,   

You will notice that both Cando and I have already provided various live links for you to click on and read through that take you directly to the info re the Stirlingshire voyages and the suggestion re Reginald attending the College of Waganuie. 

If you were to ask on the New Zealand Board for assistance, I am sure they can help you with New Zealand enquiries.   New Zealand is a separate country from Australia. 

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01euq/
Reginald Thomas Miles (b. 4 Sep 1877 at Christchurch, New Zealand – d. 23 Dec 1965 at Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada). He went to Canada from New Zealand in 1901.

and

https://sites.google.com/a/aotea.org/don-armitage/Home/great-barrier-island-history/the-barque-stirlingshire-1841-1887/thomas-miles-captain-of-stirlingshire-1856-8
..... information that needs to be checked, ...eems...Reginald .. went to Canada from NEW ZEALAND in 1901…... the grandson of Reginald Thomas MILES, and who supplied the info that Reginald was sent to the College of Wanganuie by his brothers …..  I am fairly sure that would be New Zealand schooling.... http://www.rootschat.com/forum/new-zealand/   

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline 4LauraM

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Incredible information.

You have filled in a piece of truly valuable information about my grandfather
that was driving me bananas!

I am at a loss for words - thank you!

My Mom, MILES Dorothy Edna, was one of 5 children born to Reginald & Anna Belle MILES.

I have visited the grave site of my grandparents at Mountain View cemetery.

I am also blessed to have a very extensive genealogy report covering the GLASS, RAY and VANDERVOORT families from my grandmother's side (RAY, Anna Belle).

And by odd coincidence it was written by a distant cousin.
MILES Christchurch, NZ / CLARKE Manchester, UK

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 11 September 15 05:31 BST (UK) »
Footscray Cemetery online database
http://fgc.maribyrnong.vic.gov.au/mapguide/Footscray/Public/

From another resource

MILES
In affectionate remembrance of Thomas MILES, died 31st May 1879, aged 59 years.
Also his wife, Maria, died 16 January 1878, aged 40 years, and their children, Frank Goulson, died 24th May 1878 aged 3 years and 7 months.
Amy Barbara died 5th July 1878, aged 6 years and 4 months

Cando

I am still confuddled as to how a person can die in 1878, and yet in June 1879 be noted as a widow with seven children.....  To me,  I would need to spend the pennies and obtain at least one of those death certs....  See

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/199356713

and

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=730007.0  re Thomas MILES....

Cheers,  JM

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 11 September 15 06:52 BST (UK) »
Hi JM,
Well I would guess the problem may be poor journalistic research.

The Victorian Death Index shows-

MILES Maria Mcdonald (Birth Place ENGL)
Mother Jeanette Henrietta BURTT
Father John
Age 40
Year 1878
Reg Number 1677

The headstone agrees with this year

The given name (MAUD) on the register appears to be an error.  I have looked again at the original register and the writing on the page is good clear script.  The given name entered is MAUD. No-one named Maud MILES, aged 40  died in Victoria in 1878.
The burial took place 18th January 1878 

Sue

ADDING,
I do of course agree with you that a certificate wold likely settle the question. ;D
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk