Author Topic: Ipstones churchyard  (Read 9871 times)

Online ChrissieL

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ben and John Hardman meeting up in Cairo
    • View Profile
Re: Ipstones churchyard
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 17 November 15 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sarah and Maggie
I really enjoyed visiting the Churchyard.  Although I've been through Ipstones lots of times, I have never visited the church as it is at the end of a lane on the outskirts of the village.  It's located in such a pretty place.  The older graves are around the church but the more recent ones are in an area just across the lane.

I have sent you a personal message Sarah, with more details
Chris
Staffordshire: Lawton Probyn Horrobin
Durham: Bamlett Hardman Winship Robinson
Suffolk: Leggett

Offline Valerie Fennell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 16 December 16 03:07 GMT (UK) »
I am a new member and you may already have the information you need, but I may be able to add something as we both have George and Kezia Gould in our ancestry. I live in Australia but have visited Ipstones twice and upon my last visit (2006) I didn't find George and Kezia's grave but I found the gravestone, albeit in two pieces leaning horizontally against the wall of the church. The inscription read 'My race is run & thine is running, Prepare for death for judgement coming. Of course you are part of the Bowers family and the Finneys of Hayesgate. I have traced them back to the mid 1500's.

Offline maggie may

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 16 December 16 04:57 GMT (UK) »
welcome on board Valerie . you will find everyone on here  are all friendly and help when they can.
I was alerted about your post but think this is for Sarah  as she has the same connection as you . Hopefully she will see your post on here.  She will be so thrilled to hear this news.

regards
 Maggie May NZ
 while here would like to wish everyone on this site a very merry christmas and a happy new year. :)
Birch, Beardmore, Smith, Basset, Turner, Grindy, Coxon

Offline Valerie Fennell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 19 December 16 07:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sarah,
I hope that you receive this (my second attempt) it appears that we have ancestors in common. I live in Australia but on my scond visit to Ipstones in 2006 I found George and Kezia Goulds headstone but not their grave. It was found leaning horizontally againt the church in two pieces, it read "My race is run & thine is running, Prepare for death for judgement coming." I believe that I recently discovered where Kezia's father and brother are buried but can't verify it from here. I have all the Hayesgate Finneys, Balls, Dales and Chapmans. Kezia's sister Esther married John Lane the licensee of The Red Lion and later the Sea Lion, both in Ipstones. My grt grandmother was Francis Elizabeth Lane d/o George Henry Lane s/o John and Esther. I realise that you may already have found what you need, but please let me know if theere are any gaps that I may help with. Cheers Valerie

Offline templeton14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 30 August 18 22:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Valerie,
I really hope that you see this message, I know its been a while since you sent yours. Shortly after the initial thread regarding the churchyard at Ipstones and my plans to get over to visit, my father suddenly passed away, followed by my brother and mother-in-law, all within 18 months, so it all fell by the wayside. I've just started to pick it up again and try to pick up where I left off, so this evening is the first time that I've been on here for a while. Thank you for getting in touch and how interesting that we share the Gould link. Yes, I have Esther Gould and John Lane in my tree. I am descended from Esther's brother George Bowers Gould, who married Elizabeth Blore. Thank you for the grave inscription, I wonder if the headstone is still there 12 years later?
Sarah

Offline suelesterry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 01 September 18 08:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah have you managed to to get to the Ipstones churchyard yet. It is such a lovely place set in the country . I go there every visit I make back to the UK as have grandparents buried there.
Some of the graves have been neglected due to their age and a few of the headstones are starting to fall over as well. Who are looking for in there? It may also pay you to check the Foxt church yard as well . As being a small community area there could also be ancestors in there as well as i found some of my own in there. Also just up the road from the Foxt churchyard you will find the site of the old church which has now been pulled down and where it stood is a plaque set in the stone wall telling you it was the site of the old church. One of my ancestors was a preacher there in the 1800's .Also round the corner from the Ipstones churchyard is a little dairy and along from this dairy is the Ipstones church hall. The people in there are so friendly and they made us a cup of tea and something to eat and they can help you with any info you may wish to find about your ancestors they have computers set up in there to help you.
hope this all helps. by now you probably have been over there but you will know for future reference
cheers maggie

Hi Maggie
I have just seen your post about IPSTONES and of particular interest is the plaque photo.
Have you anymore details. Is it close to the church. My ancestors were the Critchlow family and were I think We're instigators of the Primitive Methodist church in the area.
Many thanks
Sue
Harrison Derbyshire