Author Topic: Searching for John Alder of Norham who died about 1840  (Read 10644 times)

Offline jeaves

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for John Alder of Norham who died about 1840
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 23 April 15 12:08 BST (UK) »
No Alder baptisms at Norham Presbyterian or Associated Congregation of Norham.  2 Elder baptisms but they were in the 1780's

There was an Alder family from Norham having children baptised in Spittal Presbyterian but no John Alder born around 1815 or so.  One in 1830.

Nothing in Cornhill.  Folks that lived in Norham used this parish sometimes.

Janis

Thanks, Janis. Apologies for my delay in responding. I'm a relative newcomer to genealogy, and after talking to a genealogist here in the States (who is also a distant relative), and re-reading some of the old family charts that I have in my possession, I have learned that the father of John Lewis Alder may have actually been named William. It *might* be possible that they were once Catholic, but it's difficult to know for sure. John Lewis Alder married a Catholic French woman in the U.S., after he arrived here. The Alder family seemed to become Presbyterian during the time of John Lewis Alder's son, who was baptized Catholic, but who married into a New England Presbyterian family. Apparently, both John Lewis Alder and his father (who may have been named William) had no siblings. I find it a bit odd that neither of them had siblings, so I will believe that when I know more.

Again, thank you for responding to my earlier search.

Sincerely, Jon
Alder, Rosenbach/Rossenbach, Dutel, Margraff, Smith, Cilley, Pease, Morris, Dunn, McCollister/McAllister, Murphy, Gass, Topping, Eaves, Penrod, Newman, Rhodes