Author Topic: Rev. William Herring m. Elizabeth Cotton 1750  (Read 5943 times)

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
Rev. William Herring m. Elizabeth Cotton 1750
« on: Tuesday 03 March 15 14:13 GMT (UK) »
William Herring was b. in Norwich in 1718 and educated at Norwich free school and Clare College, Cambridge.  By 1750 he was rector of Bolton Percy near York.  In that year, according to the Dictionary of National Biography, he married Elizabeth Cotton in the chapel of Lambeth Palace.  He had earlier been chaplain to Thomas Herring when he was bishop of Bangor, and by 1750 Thomas was Archbishop of Canterbury.

The DNB says they were brothers, but Thomas was b. 1693: that's a big age difference.  According to another source, his father John was b. circa 1679.  Fathering sons at age 14??  Or perhaps that John was a brother, and William a nephew.  Confusion all round.

Does anyone by chance have a tree connecting these people?  Or could tell me more about Elizabeth Cotton?  No idea where she was from.
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Rev. William Herring m. Elizabeth Cotton 1750
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 14:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi - an online tree has:

Rev Thomas Edward Herring baptised Walsoken 10th Oct 1693 and died Croydon 13th March 1757. The son of John Herring 1644 – 1717 and Martha Potts 1660 – 1704. He was the brother of William Herring 1695 - 1747. So your William Herring's uncle.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 15:24 GMT (UK) »
That's great, groom.  Thanks for your swift reply.

Oh, and I've now deciphered my handwriting and think that John b. 1679 was an elder half-brother, John senior having m. twice.  Inconsiderate of our ancestors not to give their children distinctive middle names!

Where can I find the on-line tree?  Not one of the Ancestry myths, is it?
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline Edward Scott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 19:27 GMT (UK) »
May be worth a look here http://db.theclergydatabase.org.uk/jsp/persons/index.jsp some info on father & son

regards

Edward
Scott - Lincolnshire
Jobson - Lincolnshire, Suffolk
Needham - Lincolnshire
Wayet - Lincolnshire

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Edward, but I'm very sceptical of some of the information on that web site.
One of the Herrings apparently took up an appointment a month after his death (though he renounced it the same day), while the other was still incumbent of a parish 20 years after his.

Ne credite omnia quae in implexa tela legitis!

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Where can I find the on-line tree?  Not one of the Ancestry myths, is it?

I'm afraid it is, but is quite well sourced. There are also other trees on there and information such as a piece in "Dictionary of National Biography, Volumes 1-20, 22"
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ultramum

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 March 15 20:33 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Herring was an only son according to the memorial in Walsoken church dedicated to his parents.

Nat Biog has him as brother but is incorrect ...

I have them as 1st cousins once removed

Offline Ultramum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 06 March 15 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth Cotton ... I have come across birth 1727, death 1794 in Croydon and marriage 1749 ... not been able to verify any of these yet

Offline Ultramum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 06 March 15 20:54 GMT (UK) »
You can find some interesting snippets of information if you search for Thomas Herring on the University of Nottingham online catalogue

http://mss-cat.nottingham.ac.uk/DServe/dserve.exe?dsqApp=Archive&dsqDb=Catalog&dsqCmd=Search.tcl