Author Topic: thomas finn, b 1862  (Read 4761 times)

Offline stephen7

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
thomas finn, b 1862
« on: Tuesday 03 March 15 15:11 GMT (UK) »
hi all,
 i am trying to find out details of thomas finn, b 1862, youghal, near cork, i know he married in 1887 in pembroke, wales and have him on 1901 and 1911 census. would like to know his parents and when he travelled to the uk, ( i assume from cork to pembroke?). this is for s friend of mine who is going to visit youghal in a couple of months and would like to know more before she goes. any help or info would be greatly appreciated.
steve
watson,smith,(cambridge)cadle,(gloucester)hutton,utton, phenix,(norfolk)tarleton,paterson,sommerville,stephenson ( lanarkshire) ,walker, lewis, mordecai,sparks,(glamorgan),bolitho. (cornwall)

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: thomas finn, b 1862
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Maybe you should get a copy of the wedding certificate that should give you the father's name
There is a record for a crossing from Liverpool arriving Boston Massachusetts 29/7/1914
Thomas Finn b 1862 Youghal age 52 engineer address he came from Jewel Street Barry Dock going to a Michael Finn

Offline stephen7

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 17:47 GMT (UK) »
that's probably him, rosie, thanks, 1911 census shows him living in barry as a tugboat driver and caretaker living in jewel st, i'll suggest to my friend that  she gets his marriage cert.
watson,smith,(cambridge)cadle,(gloucester)hutton,utton, phenix,(norfolk)tarleton,paterson,sommerville,stephenson ( lanarkshire) ,walker, lewis, mordecai,sparks,(glamorgan),bolitho. (cornwall)

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 18:57 GMT (UK) »
I suggest that you purchase the marriage certificate

UK Civil Reference 1887 Pembroke Q4 V11a P1541
as this should give Thomas's father's name

There is only one Thomas FINN registered around that period in Youghal
but bear in mind that registration had only just started

1865 YOUGHAL Q- V4 P1027 which could be your man
although there are a few deaths in the 1880s of this name

You will need to source the Father's name at least to help search
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 19:21 GMT (UK) »
There is also a baptism of a Thomas FINN of Union Street, Youghal
in Youghal RC Church on April 25 1869
(F) Thomas (M) Johanna HEALY (Sponsor) Johanna SULLIVAN

and interestingly there is a marriage the year after on Jan 12 1860 in the same church
of Thomas FINN and Johanna HEALY both being described as married and Roman Catholic
This could mean they were from elsewhere and unable to prove they were married
and it was insisted that they marry in church
Or it could be that Thomas was in the army and did not get permission to marry initially
Or something else entirely!
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 20:01 GMT (UK) »
On the connection rosie17 found re travel to Boston in 1914

This is a link to a page of transcribed facts “Extracts from Report Death of American Citizen 1910-1929”
It includes the reference “Michael John FINN - date of death: 1927-11-30 at Youghal, Co Cork; born 1868; Spouse's name - Mrs M FINN Manchester Green, Conn; brother - Thomas FINN resides Barry, Glam., Wales”

Civil Death Reference YOUGHAL 1927 Q4 V4 P448 age 61
Age implies he was born c1866

This record could prove useful as the name of the informant could hopefully be a relative and shed light on why he was in Ireland at that time

There is a baptism record in Youghal RC Church on Dec 13 1863
of a Michael FINN (F) Thomas (M) Johanna HEALY
(Sps) Maurice COTTER and Elizabeth COTTER

There are two further baptisms of Mary FINN 1867 and James FINN 1870
to the same parents in Youghal

Michael John FINN is listed on the 1920 US Census aged 54 at
Charter Oak Street, Manchester, Hartford, Conn., USA
with his wife Minnie and seven children
stating he was in the US since 1888
Age implies born c1866

He became naturalised in the US on Mar 27 1924 giving the same address (house #224)
certificate # 10509 US DC Hartford Conn

Locating his marriage should give a match of father’s name and following his line may be of more help
Further generations:

Offline stephen7

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 20:14 GMT (UK) »
thank you, a wealth of info for her, i will pass it all on to her and recommend she gets marriage cert.. for confirmation ( or not ) that the aforementioned michael is his brother, thank you again
steve

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 20:37 GMT (UK) »
There is a marriage record for a Michael Finn born 1867 Ireland age 23 labourer  on the 27 November 1890 Northampton Massachusetts spouse Mary Scannon age 23 silk winder ...His parents Thomas Finn & Johannah Haley

Offline stephen7

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 15 June 15 16:13 BST (UK) »
just an update,
 have marriage cert and it confirms thomas' parents were  thomas, and johanna. it looks like michael, james and mary were his siblings. so thank you all for your info.
 my friend has visited youghal and it seems that there never was a union street there. it was in fact the union workhouse which inmates classed as union st, i assume because of embarrassment.i know that some workhouse records are kept in cork, but does anyone know if they are available on-line? i have been unable to find them.
 i have also been unable to locate thomas's death, but think i have found him in manhatten in 1940 so probably died in the states, any ideas to confirm this? i have reached a standstill with my own tree so haven't renewed my world subscriptions.