Author Topic: Samuel McKillop, Isabella McKillop, Mary-Jane McRoberts, all about 1850  (Read 5254 times)

Offline cmcderment

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
If anyone can help me get further back on my father's side, I would be really grateful.

The furthest back I can go is a marriage on 17th January, 1852, of Samuel McKillop (of "full age" but possibly only about 18) and Mary Jane McRoberts (under-age) in Kilbride Parish Church in the parish of Newtonabbey, County Antrim.  Both of them are given as resident in Grange of Doagh. Samuel is called a flax dresser and would probably have been born between 1830, and 1834. His father is given as Samuel McKillop, labourer. Mary-Jane's father was John MacRoberts. Witnesses were James Phillips and Joseph Coulter. No mothers' names are given, but Samuel's mother was Elizabeth Dunsmore (later known as Strain, from a second marriage). Elizabeth's parents names were Hugh Dunsmore and Elizabeth Blane. Mary-Jane's mother was Agnes Davidson.

Samuel's sister Isabella Mckillop, then aged 17, also married there, to a James Phillips, also a flax dresser. This marriage was in the same church, on 24th May, 1851.
Isabella's daughter Elizabeth Phillips was also christened there, on 18 February, 1852.

The church was only founded in 1848, so none of them could have been christened there.

Of all four of them, only James could write, the other three making their mark only.

Samuel and Mary-Jane had two children, George and Margaret, (born about 1853 and 1854 respectively) before turning up in Greenock, Scotland in March, 1858 for the birth of their third child, Hugh.

Unfortunately Samuel, Margaret and Hugh all died of scarlet fever within a few days of each other, in September 1859, leaving George as the only surviving child. (A posthumous baby boy, Samuel, born in 1860,  died before he was two years old.) The registration of Samuel (senior)'s death gives his age as 25, and his father as dead.

If anyone has any records of these names in their family, I would love to hear from them. I can find no further trace of Isabella and her family and I have no idea where Samuel and Isabella came from before their marriages in Doagh.

I know people travelled frequently between Ireland and Scotland in those days and there is a family story that the original McKillops came from Argyllshire.

I also know how difficult it is to find records in Ireland dating this far back.

If anyone can shed any light at all, I thank you in advance.
McKillops of Greenock, Ireland and Mull
Macdonalds of North Uist
Donald Fraser, involved in the '45
Allan Macdonald "out" in the '45
McDerments of Ireland and Ayrshire

Offline glensman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel McKillop, Isabella McKillop, Mary-Jane McRoberts, all about 1850
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 17:49 GMT (UK) »
Just seeking a point of clarification - you refer to the "Parish Church".  This would indicate that the family were Church of Ireland members.  Is that correct?

Offline cmcderment

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Kilbride was a Presbyterian Church and that's certainly where they got married, but I know nothing of them before that.  They were married by a Rev. W Orr "by licence".
Don't know if that helps or not, but thanks for your interest.
Macdonalds of North Uist

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 22:49 GMT (UK) »
William Orr was the Presbyterian minster of Kilbride Presbyterian Church (Presbyterian ones organised into presbyteries) but 'parish churches' are either Church of Ireland or Roman Catholic.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline cmcderment

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Ah, I didn't know that, but the transcript clearly says Presbyterian against both Samuel and Mary-Jane.
Macdonalds of North Uist

Offline glensman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 March 15 06:42 GMT (UK) »
If you look at PRONI's Guide to Church Records:

http://www.proni.gov.uk/guide_to_church_records.pdf

you can see that Kilbride Presbyterian records start in 1848.  There are two Presbyterian churches close by in Donegore.  The records for 2nd Donegore Presbyterian also start in 1848 but 1st Donegore Presbyterian records begin in 1806.  These might be worth a look.  They are on microfilm in PRONI and a personal visit is required to access them. 

Offline cmcderment

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 March 15 08:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, that's very useful to know.

I did make one visit over there and spent a day at PRONI and went to Doagh and to Kilbride church, where the very helpful people there told me that it had only started in 1848, but no one seemed sure which other church they might have attended/been christened in before Kilbride. We only had a long weekend so didn't have much time to investigate further.
Not sure when I'll make another visit but at least I now know where to start looking further.
Macdonalds of North Uist

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 March 15 09:53 GMT (UK) »
1st Donegore's records have been published on CD. Presumably if you contact the church they may either be able to sell you a copy or direct you to where you can get one.
Elwyn

Offline cmcderment

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 04 March 15 11:36 GMT (UK) »
That's good news, Elwyn, thank you. I shall try to contact them
Macdonalds of North Uist