Author Topic: Looking for any information on Samuel James Vallely abt 1862, Newry  (Read 4187 times)

Offline Airdriehunter

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for any information on Samuel James Vallely abt 1862, Newry
« on: Tuesday 03 March 15 16:17 GMT (UK) »
I have been searching and searching for my Great Great Grandfather Samuel James Vallely,  he was married to Margaret Murphy  (b.1865 d.1890) in Newry in 1883.  A Catholic marriage.  I have found his only surviving child Mary Ann Vallely on the census of 1901 located in High Street in Newry living with her Grandparents Patrick Murphy and Bridget McElroy Murphy.  I also have located her in Cork in 1911 married to Patrick Hunter.  Samuel James Vallely was the son of John Vallely a blacksmith. John Vallely was already deceased on their marriage record in 1883.   Samuel was a labourer and then a lighterman on his wife's death record in 1890.  I have no date of birth for him and do not know where he was born.   I can not locate him in any census in Ireland or abroad. There is one Samuel James Vallely on census in Armagh married to an Eliza Jane but I checked this out and it wasn't him.  He was married in 1883 and the marriage record says he was full age, so I am guessing birth year before 1862.  His location in 1883 was High Street Newry Co. Down.  I have searched ancestry Ireland records and can only find his marriage and children's births/deaths.  . Family information said he was buried in Belfast.  But no sign of a Samuel J. Vallely at all in death records. I have even looked under the name James Vallely and different spelling variations.  Has anybody researched this name or can help me with a possible death/birth record or perhaps where he was born.
Thanks a million.

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for any information on Samuel James Vallely abt 1862, Newry
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 May 15 14:36 BST (UK) »
I have spent some time trying to track your information, Have you seen the most detailed information on the marriage, both civil and catholic in 1883. naming which church or chapel would also be useful.   Some versions are listed by http://www.ancestryireland.com
VALLELY   SAMUEL JAMES   1883      Down   
VALLELY   SAMUEL JAMES   1883   JOHN   Down
I suggest unless you have proof about the first name John, it might be wise to keep James as an alternative see the familysearch marriage below . Another thought was could John or James the father have emigrated
The website also has information on the birth/baptism for
BRIDGET   VALLELY   1888   SAMUEL JAMES   Down
ELIZABETH   VALLELY   1890   SAMUEL JAMES   Down 
Do any of these give location information and addresses of relatives or witnesses

I noticed Mary Ann Vallely on the census of 1901 High Street Newry living with her Grandparents Patrick Murphy and Bridget McElroy Murphy. Her name is spelt Valley

I found on www.familysearch.org a birth and his marriage 1883
Samuel James Vallely
Ireland Births and Baptisms, 1620-1881
birth:   8 February 1864   0029, ARMAGH, ARMAGH, IRELAND   
father:   James Vallely
mother:   Eliza Brison

I also found another marriage Samuel James Vallaly
Marriage
Oct - Dec 1898
Armagh, Ireland
Armagh
Volume Number:1 ; Page Number: 57GS Film number: 101259 , Digital Folder Number: 004195895 , Image Number: 00145

Then I found
Eliza Vallely
mentioned in the record of Mary Ann Vallely
Name:   Eliza Vallely
Daughter:   Mary Ann Vallely
Other information in the record of Mary Ann Vallely
from Ireland Births and Baptisms
Name:
Mary Ann Vallely
Birth Date:
23 Jul 1875
Birthplace:
Armagh, Ireland
Mother's Name:
Eliza Vallely
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C70159-6 , System Origin: Ireland-EASy , GS Film number: 255934 , Reference ID: v 11-1 p 34
I need to stop there
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline Airdriehunter

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 May 15 14:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all that, MaryAnn Vallely -mother Margaret Murphy and grandparents Patrick Murphy and Bridget McElroy are definitely my line. My Great grandmother MaryAnn Vallely was one of four children, I only found this info recently. The other children died in infancy and mother Margaret Vallely nee Murphy died 27/09/1890. At time of her death she lived in 11 high Street.
Children of Samuel J Vallely and Margaret Vallely nee Murphy were as follows:
Mary Ann 1883 -1859
Rose Ellen Vallely 1886-1889
Bridget 1888-1889
Eliza sept 1890-Dec 1890
Samuel James Vallely and Margaret Murphy were indeed married in 19 May 1883 in Newry Cathedral. His father was John Vallely deceased Blacksmith. Address given of Samuel is High Street and Margaret Murphy daughter of Patrick Murphy High Street. No clues yet with witnesses. Margaret Murphy's parents were married in Meigh. 
I also found a baptism 13 May 1883 for a Samuel James Vallely on one of the online sites but doesn't mention church just says parish Newry but I find it interesting as one of the witnesses is Bridget Murphy and a Michael Murphy.  Bridget Murphy was the name of  Margaret's mother.The father John Vallely also matches with their marriage record. I also have Samuel James mother's name on this baptism - Anne Jane Mathews.
This baptism confuses me as it is just a few days before my Samuel James marriage.  Perhaps he was baptised as an adult.  Record says denomination Catholic, I  checked civil record for this in Groni but couldn't find it.  Samuel James was most likely alive in 1904 as it doesn't state that he was deceased on my great grandmothers marriage record.
Sorry if this is long and confusing BallyaltikilliganG and THANKYOU for your help.  :)
Perhaps this 1883 baptism has a date error or could he have been baptised just before his marriage? His father John was deceased on his marriage record in 1883. The other marriage you suggested could have very well have been him so I checked this out in Groni and unfortunately it is not him remarried.
Thanks again for your time.

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 May 15 07:18 BST (UK) »
I had forgotten baptism before marriage was advocated. I had noticed a Co Antrim John Vallely who had a son Samuel and wondered if he had been drawn to Newry and the ring If anything springs to mind I will be in contact. I was satisfied when i discovered the irish can mean the "sharp eyed one"  from the Irish Times Ancestors  Good luck onwards JimG
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline Airdriehunter

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 May 15 09:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks JimG, perhaps he did come in from Antrim. He should be in the 1901 census somewhere. Someone in the family said they thought he was buried in Belfast. but there has been lot of confusion with family information so far! 'Sharp eyed one' - that's a very fitting description for us Irish alright.
Kind Regards