Author Topic: How comprehensive are rootsireland.ie's Mayo baptisms?  (Read 3293 times)

Offline brianoleary85

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
How comprehensive are rootsireland.ie's Mayo baptisms?
« on: Tuesday 03 March 15 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,

I am trying to track down information on my great-great-granny Mary Healy of Co. Mayo who was born there circa 1848 to Eugene/Owen Healy and Mary (?). Mary Healy's sister was Bridget Healy who was born circa 1850. Both lived for a time in Lowell, Massachusetts, in the 1870s but returned to Ireland after Bridget married a Co. Meath man there and both Mary and Bridget settled in Ballivor, Co. Meath, where they brought up their families. The 1901/11 censuses shows they are Mayo born (quite unusual for Meath inhabitants).

However, I have looked online on rootsireland and familysearch and can't find any record for Mary or Bridget's births in Co. Mayo to a Eugene/Owen and a Mary around those years. Are the online Roman Catholic baptism records quite comprehensive, or are there parish records available in the National Library which did not make it online??

I know from researching another part of my family that while the Kildare RC records appears quite comprehensive, one parish was missing (and of course this was the parish which my family lived in!), so I found the information in the end but it took me quite a while longer.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: How comprehensive are rootsireland.ie's Mayo baptisms?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 March 15 08:43 GMT (UK) »
The site gives a list of the records available
http://mayo.rootsireland.ie/generic.php?filename=sources.tpl&selectedMenu=sources

NLI parish images are due to come online later this year if all goes to plan.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=706683.0

Offline brianoleary85

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 March 15 16:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sinann. I've been trying to compare that with the NLI's index of microfilmed RC Parish records, but it's quite difficult as Mayo is split into several dioceses which also incorporate a lot of the surrounding counties. Hopefully online parish registers in the future will help a lot!

Offline healyjfch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 March 15 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Familysearch.org is worth a try.
Its Free

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 March 15 21:05 GMT (UK) »
You can see what RC records exists for Mayo, and where copies are held, on this link. You’ll see that Rootsireland don’t have all the available records for that county. But the other important thing to remember is that many parishes in the county don’t have any records for some of the years you have mentioned eg mid 1850s. So that will be another possible reason for not tracing the events.

http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/browse/counties/rcmaps/mayorc.htm
Elwyn