Author Topic: Gertrude Ellen Wyatt  (Read 5703 times)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gertrude Ellen Wyatt
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 04 March 15 15:17 GMT (UK) »
In 1891  it shows her as 20 living at 64 Wellington Street, Canton Cardiff.

It was this that confused me (reference to 1891) - but I now see that you meant that was her address on marriage in 1890 and that in the 1891 census the newlyweds were at 216 Cowbridge St.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 04 March 15 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Maybe a red herring, but worth a second look , I think (if only on the grounds it has "Wyatt", "Ellen" and "West Bagborough" all in one entry!)

1881 census
West Bagborough
William Wyatt 56 Ag lab bn Hillfarrance?
Sarah 56 wife bn Bishops Lyddard
Henry son 21 gardener bn West Bagborough
Samuel 19 ag lab bn WB
Mary 16 bn WB
Ellen J Wyatt 6 granddaughter bn WB

Most likely birth for this child is
Jul/Aug/Sep 1874
Taunton
Ellen Jane Wyatt

Looking at this family, they had mainly sons! But there is a 9 yr old daughter in 1861, Sarah, who might be a possible candidate for Ellens mother. IF (and a BIG IF) she is an illegitimate daughter of a daughter (as per "your" Gertude Ellen) and not just a daughter of one of their sons, happily married!
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 04 March 15 15:46 GMT (UK) »
In 1871, around the time Gertrude Ellen was allegedly born, but a little before the time this Ellen Jane was born, the Sarah is a 19 yr old, bn Bagborough,  servant at Bishops Lydiard, in a big house, as scullery maid.
RG10 2377 32 2

So still a possible for Ellens mum.  Maybe. No evidence, just liking the way it pieces together so far!
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 04 March 15 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Whoops I looked up the wrong number sorry bout that  ;D :-[
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline NEATWHEAT

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 04 March 15 19:29 GMT (UK) »
So many ifs and buts. Just wish I could solve it.  Now I know she was living in a house with a Watts family I am going down that route to see if any connection.  Also like the idea that her mother could have been the scullery maid.  Whatever the outcome, she is more thank likely illegitimate so might never solve this.  I have one Aunt still living and unfortunately she does not know the answer, this was her grandmother and she was only 3 when Ellen died.

Offline NEATWHEAT

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 30 July 17 15:25 BST (UK) »
In March 2015 I posted on here and was looking for my great grandmother.  I had a lot of help and after two years I am now convinced that she is in fact Ellen Jane Wyatt, born West Bagborough, her mother was Sarah Wyatt and she was a servant in Bishops Lydeard, given as Ellen's birth place.  I have the birth certificate and not father.  There are several clues to this, her uncle (Sarah's brother) John married and they had a daughter Gertrude Ellen Wyatt born 1893.  Also her sister Mary Ann married Charles Auton and they lived in wellington Street in Cardiff.  Today I have had another breakthrough copy of a newspaper cutting, Sarah was asking John Barker for maintenance so now have Ellen's father.  Still no idea why she changed her name to Gertrude Ellen and changed her birth from 1874 to 1870 which means she was only 16 when she married not 20. 
Thanks for the help in 2015 I have at last found the answers.
Now I would like to know how I can find a copy of the court hearing in Taunton from 1875
Neatwheat