Author Topic: Strone (Old photos please of Strone Place)?  (Read 7045 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Strone (Old photos please of Strone Place)?
« on: Wednesday 04 March 15 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Guys,

I have been asked by someone who knows I have genealogy interests if I could possibly track down old photos of a detached house which was in Strone Place, Strone.
There was no house number recorded though.

The name given for the tenants (now deceased) was Stevenson possibly 1960/70s?

I saw a picture on a postcard (a glimpse) & the house looked to be close to the waterside from memory but I can't be certain of that?

I also think there were shops either below or alongside the property & one was named Cocozza (spelling in doubt) ? :-)

Any help would be much appreciated.

Annie.
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Strone (Old photos please of Strone Place)?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 March 15 02:36 GMT (UK) »
If it's the same Strone I'm thinking of, it's a farm above the village of Minard and the water would be Loch Fyne. My great great grandmother's sister, Mary McMillan, married Robert Kerr and they had some 10 children there in the late 1800s. I took a hike up to the farm once in 1981. I can't think what Cocozza would be??

Mary
Fletcher of Glen Orchy, Argyll, McGregor of Argyll and Balquhidder, Perth, Mathison, Laidlaw, Forsyth of Dumfriesshire, McMillan, Johnston, Galbraith, Nicholson of Argyll, McPhail, McArthur, McKinnon, McLean, Paterson from Isle of Mull

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 March 15 02:45 GMT (UK) »
I can't think what Cocozza would be??

I think possibly a sweetshop/icecream?

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 March 15 02:51 GMT (UK) »
There was a small shop/post office in Minard I recall, but I never heard of it called anything other than 'the shop'. But I will ask my cousin who was raised in Minard (1960s - 1990s). In the nearby town of Lochgilphead, there were some Italian immigrants who had some kind of cafe or ice cream shop in the 1950s. I could be wrong on the name but Capocci's comes to mind. Again, I must ask my cousin. Good thing I still have lots of rellies in the area!

Mary
Fletcher of Glen Orchy, Argyll, McGregor of Argyll and Balquhidder, Perth, Mathison, Laidlaw, Forsyth of Dumfriesshire, McMillan, Johnston, Galbraith, Nicholson of Argyll, McPhail, McArthur, McKinnon, McLean, Paterson from Isle of Mull

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 March 15 03:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Mary,

I hope it's the same place. You could well be right with the Capocci name as the lady Im doing this for was not too sure of the Italian name.

Is there anyone in the area who may be kind enough to take some pics & I could then find out if it's the same place?

She showed me a pic on an old postcard once which I think she bought in the area but not sure when that was?

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 March 15 03:15 GMT (UK) »
Mary,

The area Strone is near Dunoon & the street name was Strone Place but that may have changed over time as I couldn't find it on google.

Annie

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 March 15 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Aha, so it's a different Strone. There is a Dunoon Memories group on Facebook, if you use that site. It might be helpful. You might manage to get a photo from someone. My great aunt married a McPherson in Dunoon in 1917 and ha 6 children there, so I joined in search of more info. If you want to check out that group but can't find it, let me know and I'll send you a link.

Mary

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 05 March 15 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Mary,

I have joined now so will see what happens as I will need to speak with the person for more accurate dates/details :-)

Annie.

Offline miniminor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 12:13 BST (UK) »
Strone Place was the name of the building. It was in Strone on the Holy Loch. You are correct about the Cocozzas owning the cafe at one time. They were there around W.W.2. It remained open into the sixties, however, I've forgotten the owner's name at that time. The cafe/sweetshop was on the north end of the building and a grocers stood in the south. Both faced onto the road and across to the post office. I have a postcard that I will try to attach. The view of Strone place is from the south.