Author Topic: elizabeth pryde  (Read 4592 times)

Offline lyndsey86

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
elizabeth pryde
« on: Wednesday 04 March 15 22:47 GMT (UK) »
I am asking for help from anyone who might see where I am coming from. Elizabeth Pryde married Robert Watmore 6/6/1884, Prestonpans, her parents were William Pryde but spelt Pride and Janet King, her mother died and William married for a 2nd time to Jessie Rankine, when Elizabeth was married she took her step mum's name. I have recently been on Roots regarding a Hope Herriot whose parents were John Herriot and May Aitcheson when he was born, but on his death certificate it was Jane Pringle. I have searched all avenues of the spelling of both wives surnames, I am now thinking Hope took his step mums name like Elizabeth did.

Ann

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: elizabeth pryde
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 March 15 19:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ann,
I'm not sure what information you are looking for. Hope Herriot, as you said, was christened Gladsmuir, East Lothian and his mother was May Aitcheson. In 1841 he was an Ag Lab, aged 15, at Gilston Mains, Fala, East Lothian. Not living with parents. In 1851, 61 and 71 he was married and living in Berwick on Tweed with wife Catherine and children John and Margaret and sister Margaret Aitken. I can't see a link to a marriage of John and Jane Pringle. Perhaps the informant didn't know who his mother was if she died young. I have had that in my own tree. Have you found John Herriot's death?
Rae
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cline: Ireland and Berwick on Twieed
Collin: Eyemouth
Clyne: Ireland, Berwickshire, Northumberland
Barns, Barnes: Fife
Walker: Edinburgh & Stirling
Laing, Wilson, Forrest, Forrester, Colven, Rae, Cowe, Buglass, Johnson, Wilson, Thorburn, Darling, Broomfield, : Berwickshire
McRaw, Cameron, Taylor, Gould/Guild, McIntyre, Maxton, McDonald, Douglass : Perthshire
Cormack, Campbell, Sutherland, Doull: Caithness

Offline lyndsey86

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 March 15 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Thank you for replying and trying to help me. When I was looking at the census returns I did come across the 1 with Margaret Aitken. I have did a search on s/p and ancestry for a marriage, nothing shows up. I do have John Herriot's dom and dod, he is my direct ancestor. I do know what you are saying when the Death was registered the informant might not have known Hope's Mum's name or John, Hope's father didn't marry Jane Pringle. How would I be able to find a marriage for Margaret Aitken other than the searches that I have done.

Ann

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 March 15 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello again,
Goodness knows who Margaret Aitken is! I have tried looking for her under Herriot, no luck. Also tried her under Foreman in case she was Catherine's sister, no luck!
They seem to be a very 'reluctant to be discovered' family!
Will keep looking for you but don't think I'm going to come up with anything.
Rae
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cline: Ireland and Berwick on Twieed
Collin: Eyemouth
Clyne: Ireland, Berwickshire, Northumberland
Barns, Barnes: Fife
Walker: Edinburgh & Stirling
Laing, Wilson, Forrest, Forrester, Colven, Rae, Cowe, Buglass, Johnson, Wilson, Thorburn, Darling, Broomfield, : Berwickshire
McRaw, Cameron, Taylor, Gould/Guild, McIntyre, Maxton, McDonald, Douglass : Perthshire
Cormack, Campbell, Sutherland, Doull: Caithness

Offline lyndsey86

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 March 15 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I have also did the obvious searches as well, like you no joy. I have been in contact with someone through genes, he as different info with this family from mine. I have John Herriot who was married to Ann Richardson, his parents were John Herriot and May Aitcheson, but my contact has John Herriot and Jean Sunnis. He doesn't have John Herriot junior's dob or the full dod, also I have John junior's full siblings, as he doesn't. It is proving to be a bit of a nightmare, as I have don so much extra searching and can't use the info until I get some concrete evidence. I downloaded John and Ann's marriage certificate unfortunately it doesn't give me his parents names. On John junior's death certificate it gives me his parents names which are John Herriot and May Aitcheson, but not his wife's name.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 April 20 22:30 BST (UK) »
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 April 20 22:38 BST (UK) »
Goodness knows who Margaret Aitken is!
Did you just look at a transcription? Because in the original censuses she is only with the family in the 1851 census, and she is described as Visitor, not Sister.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.