Author Topic: William McAughtrie b Barr, Ayrshire, 1847  (Read 11220 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: William McAughtrie b Barr, Ayrshire, 1847
« Reply #18 on: Friday 06 March 15 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Online tree with photo of Catherine has her 1865 - 1932

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01evq/

Annie

Added.............Also a photo of William
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 06 March 15 19:41 GMT (UK) »
Maybe hoping for too much but could this be William, written as McNaughton which isn't too different from this 1851 transcription (William McNughtrie)  ???

Wm McNaughton
Birth Year: abt 1849
Date of Arrival: 7 Jun 1886
Vessel: Norwegian
Port of Arrival: Quebec, Quebec, Canada
Port of Departure: Glasgow, Scotland

The last census sighting in Scotland (1861) has his occ. as Agricultural Labourer & this William is down as a Farm Labourer which may just be a coincidence ???

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 06 March 15 23:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Annie.  You've been a busy woman. The earliest I have picked up my William in NZ 1875, so not your McNaughton person.  Good theory though!

He married Kate (Catherine) about 1886, and she died 4th July, 1932 aged 67. Her death info has been taken from her headstone in Kurow Cemetery, and is just some of the info contained in the family document that I have. It's a great little piece of work actually, very detailed as to his life and family in NZ, and Scotland,  but as I mentioned in my original post, that one vital element missing..... puts when  and how did he get here! At the very least, I know he must have come " across the water"!

And yes, I do have those photos thank you!  I can't understand with all those Public Trees why not one of them seems to have his emigration!  Oh well!  Flesh on bones and all that for me! 

I have a fantasy though, that William's mothers name Elizabeth McGaw has been a mistranscription, it should have been McCaw - and then that it would put me firmly into the Richie Camp! I believe that his McCaws have connections going back to Ayrshire!  😉

Yesterday I ordered William's death printout!  So should at last get a better idea when he came here.

However I now have the time frame narrowed down (a little) 1861 still in Barr, Scotland -  when I pick him up on an Electoral roll in 1875 in Mount Ida Otago,  so at least I know came here in that time frame.

Anyway, thanks heaps for your input.  Much appreciated!

Jeanne 😄
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 08 March 15 07:45 GMT (UK) »
 ;D. Not my William,  but I thought this may be of interest to someone looking for this man, Miller ANDERSON.  Found it on Papers Past just now, an electronic text!

From Otago Times 31/3/1898

ANDERSON, Millar, born Stewarton, Ayr 1525. Arrived by Southern Cross February 22nd, 1857; has been in business many years as a baker in High Street, Dunedin.

The poor man, what a journey that must have been very tough on him, 332 years, and then went on to build his business in Dunedin for many years?  I know that some Scots are renowned for strength and longevity, but this one really takes the biscuit!!

I was going to post this to "On the Lighter Side" board, 😃 but thought if someone is genuinely researching this poor tired out old man, they must have had a much harder time than I and (my Rootchat helpers of course) in finding my William!  And they would probably appreciate the story!!

And re William, I sent an email yesterday to the North Otago Museum, so crossing my fingers on that one too, and watching the email for his death printout record).

Jeanne - still laughing!  ;D
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
WALKER,   Scotland
& Connections

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 08 March 15 12:08 GMT (UK) »
I've just found a Probate and administration letters for him on Archway.  I have no idea how to go about getting that! Can someone advise me please?

Thanks
Jeanne 😃

FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
WALKER,   Scotland
& Connections

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 08 March 15 14:11 GMT (UK) »
I've just found a Probate and administration letters for him on Archway.  I have no idea how to go about getting that! Can someone advise me please?

Can you give us a link please.........................or tell us what/who Archway is & where  ???

Sorry, never heard of them  :-\

Annie

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 08 March 15 20:33 GMT (UK) »
Archway is the online access to Archives NZ

http://www.archway.archives.govt.nz/CallItemAdvancedSearch.do

Here is William's file

DAAC 9075 D239/439  11523 MCAUGHTRIE William - Kurow - Retired Farmer    1929 Dun

http://www.archway.archives.govt.nz/ViewFullItem.do?code=22070495

Anyone can order this record. It must be viewed at the following office
Archives New Zealand, Dunedin Regional Office
556 George Street
Dunedin 9016

You will either need to go there yourself or start a new thread requesting someone in Dunedin do it for you,we don't have a Rootschatter on Dunedin so you may have to wait for someone to visit

Cheers Janette

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 08 March 15 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Janette and Annette.  I have a relative in Nightcaps, but that's probably too far for him to drive.  He may well know someone in Dunedin, so I'll give him a try! And I'll start a new post on the Board.

Ta
Jeanne 😃

FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
WALKER,   Scotland
& Connections

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 08 March 15 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Who was Williams father please as it is likely he would be down as a contact as well as last known address when he travelled  ???

Annie