Author Topic: William McAughtrie b Barr, Ayrshire, 1847  (Read 11221 times)

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
Re: William McAughtrie b Barr, Ayrshire, 1847
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 12 March 15 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Another year shaved off tonight!  Had an email from a kind woman from NZSG IN Oamaru!

"I have him back to 1872 at Mt Ida where he was witness to a sudden death. Mt Ida Chronicle 06 Dec 1872 p6."

She also said Gold Rush years passenger lists are very scarce!

"If William came out during the gold rush period in the 1860s, it is unlikely we will find a passenger list. So many people came into Otago and the lists are not very numerous for that period."

So I may well have reached that proverbial brick wall!  Still I'm well pleased with all the info I have
got!  Initially from the family document, and then my own research in Scotland and NZ - AND with all the help I've had from you, the contributors on this board!  So, I think I'll just plod on with writing his story, - after all I still have a pretty tight time frame for his arrival.  And it'll be a pretty easy detail to insert later if anything else ever does come up!

I'll think it all through again over the next day or so, and if I have nothing else to throw at you, (except flowers) I'll mark it complete and get it moved!

Thanks again and again
Jeanne 🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 13 March 15 03:38 GMT (UK) »
OK I've decided to put William to bed, going to get the green tick!  After all the most I will gain is a date and the name of a ship, and probably unlikely to find anything else anyway. And with the scarcity of shipping records into Otago at the time, I'm probably flogging the proverbial dead horse anyway.
Undoubtedly, I'll check him out again from time to time, in case more records are released.  Maybe NEW UK departures.  Have a pretty good time frame now, and decided it's time time to annoy you with someone else! :o

Only kidding, all the rest of my family lines didn't come till the 1920's anyway! So thank again you have all been stars!  And here are your flowers

🌺🌸🌹🌺🌸🌹💐💐🌹🌺🌸🌺🌸🌺

"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
WALKER,   Scotland
& Connections

Offline Bellamore_farm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 11 May 18 11:46 BST (UK) »
Hi jaybelnz,
I have amazingly come across this thread! I am living in Kurow on Bellamore Station where William McAughtrie was the first landowner!! I have been researching the farm history and am fascinated by it all and especially William. I am trying to find as much information about him as possible and hoping to get a photograph? Do you have one?
I have been in touch with the early settlers museum but there is no record of his arrival but they did say to come in and check some other records so I will let you know, also the land archives too which his name is on a few documents so I'm looking forward to reading about them.
Bellamore Station was apart of a much larger station and I was originally trying to find out where the name came from. William named it, there's another Bellamore farm in Scotland not far from where he was born and it doesnt look too unalike the landscape here which is fascinating. I was in touch with a community person in Barr, he said his parents and sisters are buried in the cemetry there but didn't have any other information. We have a family wedding in Edinburgh this August so I was hoping to visit the other Bellamore farm, would be so interesting to see.
I visited his grave in Kurow and too saw one of his daughters names was Bella which probably had a link too.Theres a lady here in Kurow who has the photo of Williams wife Kathryn and her sons so she is next on my list to visit and to see if she has any information.
Thanks for your time,

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 11 May 18 22:46 BST (UK) »
Wow!  This is great to wake up to!!  William McAughtrie was my 4th great Uncle. I have a lot of info about him and his family that I am more than happy to share with you - some of which isn't in these posts.
If you post 2 more messages on here, just a smiley face or a couple of words, that will activate your ability to send me a private message with your contact info. Then I will be able to message you some details, my email address, and phone number, as we're not permitted to put our personal info on these threads. Look forward to hearing from you!

Jeanne 👍🌺

FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
WALKER,   Scotland
& Connections

Offline Bellamore_farm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 12 May 18 02:20 BST (UK) »
That is great jaybelnz I was so excited to read through all on this forum, so neat to hear. We have similar findings on 'paperspastpost' etc but I would love to know a wee bit more about him...

Offline Bellamore_farm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 12 May 18 02:40 BST (UK) »
I'm hoping too that the lady I meet in Kurow has some information, its so exciting and slightly addictive!!
I tried to get in touch with the McAughtries down in Omarama but will hopefully bump into them one day!

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 12 May 18 04:05 BST (UK) »
That is great jaybelnz I was so excited to read through all on this forum, so neat to hear. We have similar findings on 'paperspastpost' etc but I would love to know a wee bit more about him...
Wow!  This is great to wake up to!!  William McAughtrie was my 4th great Uncle. I have a lot of info about him and his family that I am more than happy to share with you - some of which isn't in these posts.
If you post 2 more messages on here, just a smiley face or a couple of words, that will activate your ability to send me a private message with your contact info. Then I will be able to message you some details, my email address, and phone number, as we're not permitted to put our personal info on these threads. Look forward to hearing from you!

Jeanne 👍🌺
Oops - sorry - my bad, wrong 4 - William was not my 4th great Uncle, I've just checked my tree and according to the relationship calculation - he was apparently my 1st cousin 4 times removed!

FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
WALKER,   Scotland
& Connections

Offline KatesFamily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 19 October 19 17:58 BST (UK) »
Hi, my husband & I have recently bought Bellamore Farm in Pinwherry, South Ayrshire.  I've just started to look and see what information I can find about its history and this post came up.  If you've come across anything about Bellamore in your research into William McAughtrie I'd be really interested.  There has been a house at Bellamore for hundreds of years, the earliest we have found so far is in the Bleau Atlas of 1654 (as Ballmoir).  The current house was built 1872 but we don't know much about what was there before except it was a traditional U shaped steading.
Kate