Author Topic: George Smith 1891 - Tugnet, Spey Bay  (Read 1722 times)

Offline jimbohodge

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
George Smith 1891 - Tugnet, Spey Bay
« on: Thursday 05 March 15 13:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I have an army service record for a George Smith that gives his birth details as follows:

George Smith
14th August 1891, Tugnet, Spey Bay
Father: Alexander
Mother: Isabella

I cannot track any records of his birth.

Can you help please?

Thanks in advance
Jim

Offline JMStrachan

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Smith 1891 - Tugnet, Spey Bay
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 March 15 14:20 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked on the ScotlandsPeople web site? Pay to view, but it's the only online source of Scottish birth records for that period. For a modest fee of £7 you can search the index, then download a copy of the birth certificate.
AYRSHIRE - Strachan, McCrae, Haddow, Haggerty, Neilson, Alexander
ABERDEENSHIRE (Cruden and Longside) - Fraser, Hay, Logan, Hutcheon or Hutchison, Sangster
YORKSHIRE (Worsbrough) - Green, Oxley, Firth, Cox, Rock
YORKSHIRE (Royston and Carlton) - Senior, Simpson, Roydhouse, Hattersley

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 March 15 16:38 GMT (UK) »
On SP there's only one hit in the date range for a George SMITH in Bellie so I think you have a good chance.

Maureen

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 March 15 19:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Spey Bay is in the county of Moray. Records for the area you are looking for are going to be either in Moray or Banffshire.

The most likely 1901 census entry has George age 9 with his mother Isabella and siblings in Bellie. Going back to the 1891 census I suspect that Isabella's maiden name was McKenzie as the head of household is Charlotte McKenzie, her mother, the address being Tugnet  In both censuses father Alexander would appear to be recorded at the salmon fishing station at Kinloss. Libindx (a site wellworth looking at for records in this area) has a death for an Isabella Smith wife of Alexander of Tugnet in 1932. The census evidence suggests that both Alexander (b 1854/5) and Isabella (b 1857/8) were born in Bellie

But as others have said George's birth record from Scotland's People would be your best first port of call.

Good luck with your search.

William

Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)