Author Topic: Robb in Edinburgh City 1880 onwards  (Read 4059 times)

Offline Tanjarine

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robb in Edinburgh City 1880 onwards
« on: Thursday 05 March 15 17:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

Is anyone able to help me or look up some information for the ROBB family in Edinburgh City please? Or perhaps the 1911 Census?

Here's some info:

They were all born and raised in Edinburgh City:

Father: William Robb (cabman) b. 1856 d. 1939?, Mother: Ann b. abt 1855 in Dumbarton

adopted brother (of father): Thomas Noble Robb b. abt 1878 m. Jeanie? b. abt 1883 d.?

brother (of father): Adam Robb b. 25 Jul 1870 m.? d.?

Children, of William Robb:

Adam Robb - Edinburgh b. abt 1890 (grocer) d. 28 Dec 1957 m. Catherine Rigby b. 1891 in Lanark  d. 1973

William Robb - Edinburgh b. 1889 - may be the same person as above ie William Adam Robb (grocer?) d.?

brother of Thomas Robb b. 1879 m.? d.?

brother of Alfred Robb b. 1891 m.? d.?

brother of Ann Robb b. 1880 m.? d.?

Any more info will be hugely appreciated as I'm unable to afford to subscribe to other resources. I've searched through most of Ancestry.

Thank you so much

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robb in Edinburgh City 1880 onwards
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 March 15 18:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello and welcome to rootschat.

I suggest you take a look at scotlandspeople.gov.uk. It is a credit based pay as you go site, so provided that you plan your searches carefully you can find information without having to fork out for an annual subscription. The initial level of searching to see if they have anyting that fits the right names is free. You then use a single credit to view a page of indexes. If you find what you need then you can even go on to view the actual image of the records for 5 credits.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 March 15 18:20 GMT (UK) »
As Craclyn says that website is the best for your searches. If you find the birth certificate you will also find the surname of the mother. Looking at the free search there was a William Adam Robb born 1889 in the parish of Newington. That is all the information I can get without buying credits. In the same parish there were also births of Thomas 1879, Ann 1880 and an Alfred in 1890. The free search doesn't give the parents' names so I can't be sure that this is your family.
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cline: Ireland and Berwick on Twieed
Collin: Eyemouth
Clyne: Ireland, Berwickshire, Northumberland
Barns, Barnes: Fife
Walker: Edinburgh & Stirling
Laing, Wilson, Forrest, Forrester, Colven, Rae, Cowe, Buglass, Johnson, Wilson, Thorburn, Darling, Broomfield, : Berwickshire
McRaw, Cameron, Taylor, Gould/Guild, McIntyre, Maxton, McDonald, Douglass : Perthshire
Cormack, Campbell, Sutherland, Doull: Caithness

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 March 15 11:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tanjarine,

We are having problems with your notifications, I have just sent you a private message with some details.

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tanjarine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 March 15 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your help. I'm unable to spend more money on my genealogy outside of my ancestry account so amunable to purchase credits on Scotlandspeople website and have done some basic free searches there.

Thanks Sarah, I've yet to find out how to alter the email address for my notifications...I'll keep searching for the settings for notification emails.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 March 15 11:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tanjarine,

Now that you have made 2 posts your will be able to modify your profile

profile > Account settings > email

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 March 15 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tanjarine

Unless you are lucky enough that this family group connects with someone's family, or that someone is able to do your research whilst visisting a main genealogy centre in Scotland, not sure you will find the information you need withouth spending some money on certificates and details via the main pay to view site of www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Once you get into the 1800s, it is easier all round to find info online through other sources generally. This period of the 1900s, given how recent it is, is so much harder.

However...are you trying to come forwards to descendants exclusively...or also trying to work back to ancestors? Or, likely, happy to have either  ;)

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tanjarine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 March 15 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Monica, for summing up the process and reasoning for my hurdles...this clarifies things. I was looking to start with the more recent family and then work back however I've got a bit to work on now so aim to do what I can where I can, through my paid subscription and any other free service, for the 1800s going back.

Thanks

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 10 March 15 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Your paid subs to a/try is great for a general look around on census transcripts for Scotland. Also, you can try to connect to other via members' family trees etc. Unfortunately, that is about it unfortunately. Have a read here, a post written by Forfarian for guidance to others: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0

Leaving aside the arguments and good advice, that at some point you do have to buy some certs to verify and confirm key BMDs (sadly, so easy to go off lines and spend time on mistakes  :-\), let's see what we can find for you around the 1800s. As mentioned above, 1900s get very difficult due to privacy issues understandably.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk