Author Topic: Help needed to find a marriage in the Cheadle area, late 1770's!  (Read 5495 times)

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed to find a marriage in the Cheadle area, late 1770's!
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 07 March 15 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Find My Past is free this weekend so you can read Joshua's 1804 will online :)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 10 March 15 18:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rolnora & Wilcoxon,

Rolnora, thanks for checking the marriage detail, much appreciated.

Regarding the will of Joshua Bancroft in 1804 mentioned by both Wilcoxon & Rolnora, I did indeed make a point of getting that from FindMyPast over the weekend. It leaves bequests & property &/or land to sons James & Thomas Bancroft & monetary bequests to two granddaughters (Esther & Mary Woodward) whom I had no knowledge of!

So a little bit of new info to work with! ;D

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline LORRAINE BANCROFT

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 08 June 15 22:57 BST (UK) »
Hi David,
I think we may be researching the same James. My name is Lorraine Bancroft and I believe James is my g grandfatherx3. They could have married in the Cathedral Manchester as many of the Bancroft's did including James the son of James and Jane born 1782 Stretford who was baptised and also married there to Mary Ann Burnett in 1823.
I hope this post goes as the last one seemed to vanish.

Regards
Lorraine

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 09 June 15 00:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Lorraine,

A very warm welcome to Rootschat!

Looking at the information that I have, I don't have a James born to James & Jane that I know of, what I have got is a follows:

My 5x gt grandparents, James Bancroft (1748/49-1826) I believe married Jane Smith (1757/59-1818/19) in Northenden, Cheshire on 8th Sept 1778. They had six children that I know of all baptised at St Mary's, Cheadle, Cheshire as follows:

Elizabeth Bancroft (1780-1852) Christened 26th March 1780. Married John Mellor in 1806.
Ann Bancroft (1782-1783) Christened 18th Aug 1782. Buried 15th May 1783 at St Mary's, Cheadle.
William (1784-?) Christened 3rd April 1784.
Ann (1786-?) Christened 16th Aug 1786.
Mary (1788/89-?) Christened 25th Jan 1789.
Joseph (1795-?) Christened 7th June 1795.

Elizabeth Bancroft & John Mellor are my 4x gt grandparents. Elizabeth married John Mellor on 22nd November 1806 in Manchester (from familysearch) but I don't know where exactly, probably the Cathedral. Their first child Jane was born & baptised in Stretford in 1808, This is the earliest record I have of the Bancroft's being in Stretford.

As you can see, when your James is being baptised in Stretford in 1782, James & Jane in Cheadle are baptising the first Ann also in 1782.

We may well be researching the same family, but possibly connected further back than was initially expected?

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline LORRAINE BANCROFT

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 09 June 15 18:41 BST (UK) »
Hi David,
Thank you for your reply. I can now eliminate those mentioned from my search It is very hit and miss lol. The reason I was following that line is that it states that James parents were Jane and James on this baptism details in the cathedral.
I will continue looking to find his mother Jane.
I have been using a site called familysearch.org which has been very useful and it has indexing and all records are totally free and open. I don't know if you have used it but thought I would mention it.

Thanks again and my best regards
Lorraine