Author Topic: moira colliery/ ashby canal  (Read 2547 times)

Offline AliIsoMar

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
moira colliery/ ashby canal
« on: Thursday 05 March 15 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can tell me where i can find information on the canal boats used by Moira colliery on the Ashby canal or the Bird family who worked on the canal. Thanks in advance
Canal Families: James, Green, Wenlock. Fradley, Wood, Higgins, Eaden, Harrison, Jenkinson Hollinshead, Coulton, Caswell, Boswell and Bird.

Offline alfietcs

• RootsChat Extra
  • The Gari Boys ( and girls! )
    • View Profile
Re: moira colliery/ ashby canal
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 April 15 16:31 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I don't think I have any new information for you, but if I do I will let you know as I would also be really interested to find out more about the Bird family as well. My 5x Great grandfather was Thomas Bird. His brother, John Bird ( 1786)  and some of his sons were boatmen on the Ashby Canal. My great x 5 Grandfather Thomas,  died in Jan 1841 right before the census was taken, so i don't know if he was a boatman too, or if indeed their father was. I've seen John Bird's will and I know he carried coal, but I don't know much else. It would be nice to know if their history on the canals  went further back.
Ax

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 April 15 16:43 BST (UK) »
http://nbarmadillo.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/the-original-and-final-end-of-moira.html

There is a Canal Boat forum http://www.canalworld.net/ and of course in a couple of weeks time the Moria Canal festival, also Ashby Canal Trust http://www.ashbycanaltrust.co.uk

All of which may help you
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline alfietcs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 April 15 00:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for the great links. The hand prints of the workers set into the steel beams are really wonderful. What a monument.

AX

Offline alfietcs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 April 15 00:58 BST (UK) »
apologies…deleted post..getting to grips etc

Offline AliIsoMar

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 April 15 13:49 BST (UK) »
John Bird { 1786} { brother of your thomas bird }was my 5x great grandfather his son Joseph was my 4x great grandfather i do have a little info on the family but not much
Canal Families: James, Green, Wenlock. Fradley, Wood, Higgins, Eaden, Harrison, Jenkinson Hollinshead, Coulton, Caswell, Boswell and Bird.