Author Topic: Ford: Thomas and Elizabeth, Richard, Thomas, William, Francis  (Read 2718 times)

Offline bfandbf

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ford: Thomas and Elizabeth, Richard, Thomas, William, Francis
« on: Friday 06 March 15 02:12 GMT (UK) »
I have a family with parents Thomas Ford b. abt 1786 and Elizabeth unknown b. abt 1796.  I see them on the 1841 census in Crowan with children Thomas 11, William 9 and Francis 5.

The family's name in this census is spelled Foard but the same people are in the US in 1850 with the name Ford.  I'm not too worried about that. 

I'd like to be able to find out a couple of things:
1.  What was Elizabeth's maiden name.  I see an Elizabeth Nicholls marrying a Thomas Ford in Madron on 30 Oct 1827.  Could this be them?
2.  Is there any record of Elizabeth's death or Thomas' remarriage, possibly to a Fanny? 
3.  I have christening records of Richard Henry Ford, Thomas Curtis Ford, William Ford and Francis Treloar Ford that I think could be the same family.
4.  How about that middle name 'Treloar.'  Obviously a Cornish name.  Does anyone have thoughts on the origin of that?

Thank you very much for whatever help anyone might be able to offer.  I appreciate it so much.

Barry Foster

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ford: Thomas and Elizabeth, Richard, Thomas, William, Francis
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 March 15 03:28 GMT (UK) »
you should try googling "Treloar Cornwall" and you will find out all about them in the posts on various genealogical bulletin boards, and the history of the name>

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cornwall/content/articles/2008/08/29/history_treloar_feature.shtml     is one of the notable members of the family.......

surely you have eaten a pastie...............

Treloar Name Meaning [Cornish]: habitational name from Treloar in Cornwall.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ford: Thomas and Elizabeth, Richard, Thomas, William, Francis
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 March 15 08:22 GMT (UK) »
That marriage is on Cornwall-OPC-Database (as Thomas Foard and Elizabeth Nicholls), as are the following baptisms to the same couple:

15th Nov 1828 at Crowan
Richard Henry Foard, son of Thomas (a farmer) and Elizabeth, living at Crowan

1st Nov 1829 at Crowan
Thomas Curtis Foard, son of Thomas (a farmer) and Elizabeth, living at Crowan

23rd October 1831 at Crowan
William Foard, son of Thomas (a farmer) and Elizabeth, living at Crowan

3rd April 1836, at Crowan
Francis Treloar Ford, son of Thomas (a farmer) and Elizabeth, living at Crowan
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)