Author Topic: FARMS IN THE AREA AROUND ALYTH  (Read 7516 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: FARMS IN THE AREA AROUND ALYTH
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 07 March 15 20:34 GMT (UK) »
I found the names of 4 of the Farms occupied by William Crichton (Alyth) owned by Captain Ogilvy of Loyal.

WHINYWELL, LOYALBANK, BASTARDBANK, LOYAL. There may be others but it's a fee paying site which is extortionate.............more costly than a worldwide ancestry subscription  :o

No dates for these  :-\

http://www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Geoff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • TV, great add for Radio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 08 March 15 05:21 GMT (UK) »
Ev, to answer you first, That is the wrong CRICHTON family.

William was born at Pitnacree, Alyth in 1784 to John & Janet CRICHTON {cousins) and he died on the 15th Feb 1857.   His parents paid 20 Pounds a year for the land rent to the Barony of Alyth. It must have been a fairly big farm as all other farmers paid 2 pounds for theirs.

Since I posted I have found that William actually  leased the farms he was on with Norman Farm being the last, but he had retired before his wife died.
If that is correct then maybe he was retired at the taking of the 1851 census, with him being listed as an Annuitant suggests that he was retired, and his sons may have looked after the farm for him and he was paid his dues.  Everything I've seen shows him to be listed as a Farmer, he was also listed as a member of the Churches Secretariat whatever that entails in the Memorial from the newspaper.

With his eldest surviving son leaving Scotland for Australia in 1841, and the last two sons leaving home,  one in 1848, and the last in 1854.
This suggests that he retired when his son William left in 1848 because James the only male left was 14 years old. Then the daughter May married David MELVILLE in 1850 and he took up working the farm according to May's entry on that census as a Farm Servants wife.

Could NORMAN FARM be out along that road named Back Burn ?
Does it head for Blairgowie ?
I'll have a look at the Map website you listed.  A farm with the name of LOYAL I have seen before but in what context I have no idea at the moment. Maybe I just saw it as a farm list???

Cheers
Geoff
** Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk **
Martlock, Pilton, Doubting & Frome:
MASTERS, PORCH, BOULTON, HACKETT,
Combe Hay, HINTON, WEEKS,
Perthshire: CRICHTON, TAYLOR, MOON, IRONS, KIDD
Durham, FENWICK, PUNSHON, EDDY, HENRY aka LAVERICK
Northumberland, BUCHANAN, HODGSON, HALL,
Lincoln: MASKEY,BIRD,FISHER,HARLEY,
Cambridgeshire, CROSS, FOREMAN, FREEMAN, ONG,
FEAST, MOXON
Gloucestershire, HILL, COX, NEWELL
Sussex, CHAPMAN, NEVE, DOWNER
Surrey, NEWELL, WEBB,

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 08 March 15 10:56 GMT (UK) »
1841 Census freeCen transcription.
Ardormy , Alyth , Perth(All bortn Perth(shire))
William Crichton 56 farmer
Margaret Crichton 49
John Crichton 24 agricultural labourer
Marjory Crichton 19 female servant
Oliphant Crichton 13
William Crichton 10
James Crichton 7

I think this is the correct family.

Can't find any reference to Norman Castle or Norman Farm  :-[

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 08 March 15 13:58 GMT (UK) »
Geoff,

I have the 1770 and 1810 Directory of Land Ownership in Scotland and there is no Norman Farm nor Castle in Perth and confirmed this by cross-referencing this to the 1852-53 and 1872-73 directories. It also doesn't pop up in the later Valuation Rolls which you can search by place name. The only Norman Castle was down in the Borders but that was centuries ago and a Norman Farm in Angus circa 1900.

All that being said I did find "a" William Crichton at these locations pre 1851 and one post 1851 death:

Clayhills & Thorn near Rattray
CRICHTON   WILLIAM   07/01/1848 FARMER AT CLAYHILLS PERTH SHERIFF COURT   SC49/31/45

Ardormie Farm

Loyal 1841 Census although it seems this is not the right family as he died 1865.
CRICHTON   WILLIAM   08/11/1865 FARMER AT LOYAL, NEAR ALYTH PERTH SHERIFF COURT   SC49/31/80   

I am wondering if Thorn was misprinted as Norman.  Btw...if this is your family you should snag the 10 pages from Willis & Testament section at Scotlands People.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 08 March 15 14:29 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if this is the said "Thorn (Norman) Farm...............lovely ???  ;D

http://ukbeach.guide/photos/uk-photos.php?photo=579480

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/579439

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Geoff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • TV, great add for Radio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 09 March 15 04:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ev, Don & Annie,

Yes Ev, that is them in the "41 John left not long after that census was taken, in July he left from Plymouth and arrived in Melbourne in October that year. William aged ten is my 2x great grandfather.

Don & Annie, Hold everything, when your post mentioned the Name LOYAL it rang a bell so I've spent all morning searching.  What I found was I had the wrong Memorial Notice and the wrong William. 
While I'm on this, Norman Farm, I think should be Newton Farm, not that it matters now.

The correct Memorial names his last farm as Loyal Bank.  Now I have to spend some more and get the right certificates.
That's the first time I've made a blunder like that, I suppose it's not hard to do when there are so many William CRICHTON'S in the same place. It doesn't help when his wife is known with four names Margery, Margaret, Mary & May either. All is not lost just change the details on his death.

I'm glad I posted the original question now, Bye and thanks to you all

Cheers   PS  Don I will certainly look into those10 pages on Wills & Testament at Scotland's People
Geoff
** Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk **
Martlock, Pilton, Doubting & Frome:
MASTERS, PORCH, BOULTON, HACKETT,
Combe Hay, HINTON, WEEKS,
Perthshire: CRICHTON, TAYLOR, MOON, IRONS, KIDD
Durham, FENWICK, PUNSHON, EDDY, HENRY aka LAVERICK
Northumberland, BUCHANAN, HODGSON, HALL,
Lincoln: MASKEY,BIRD,FISHER,HARLEY,
Cambridgeshire, CROSS, FOREMAN, FREEMAN, ONG,
FEAST, MOXON
Gloucestershire, HILL, COX, NEWELL
Sussex, CHAPMAN, NEVE, DOWNER
Surrey, NEWELL, WEBB,

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 09 March 15 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Newton Castle (some lovely images)

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ewc/

Annie