Author Topic: Peninsular War Medal Roll - clasps what do they stand for ?  (Read 3804 times)

Offline hatofthecat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Peninsular War Medal Roll - clasps what do they stand for ?
« on: Friday 06 March 15 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Attached is image for the Peninsular War Medal Roll for 43rd Foot regiment.  My 3x great grandfather Private John Cooper is awarded medal with four clasps.  Can anyone tell me what they were ?

He was in the regiment from 1809 to 1817 when he was discharged due to failing eyesight aged just 32.

thanks in advance
Moderator Comment. Image removed as per Rootschat Copyright Policy.
Norris / Andover, Poplar, Canning Town, Stratford
Hughes, Cooper, New  / Berkshire
Waugh, Lisle, Davison, Mole, Luke, Dodd / Northumberland
Walton / Cumberland, County Durham, Northumberland
Littlefair / County Durham, Northumberland
Morcumb, Pedler, Warne, Whitford, Arthur, Warmington, Sleap, Docton,Couche / Cornwall
Ross / Middlesex, Hertfordshire
Southgate / Essex
Tarrant/Hampshire

Offline Lostris

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • diebus numerati sunt
    • View Profile
Re: Peninsular War Medal Roll - clasps what do they stand for ?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 March 15 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Suspect they are for the Battles he fought in .... (initials suggest Ciudad Rodrigo   .... Salamanca  .... etc )

http://napoleonguide.com/battle_penlist.htm

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 March 15 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Oh dear, not a good idea, just putting letters. See Category: Battles of the Peninsular war (Wikipedia) for a list.

CR is definitely Cuidad Rodrigo but there was one in 1810 and 1812.

B could be Badajoz

S could be Salamanca

V could be Vitoria.

Added. Found a list of clasps awarded. Looks like I guessed right although Cuidad Rodrigo would have been the 1812 battle.

Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline hatofthecat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 March 15 16:25 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I was trying to work out which battles but I've just found a list here http://www.forces-war-records.co.uk/medals/military-general-service-medal/

CIUDAD RODRIGO     8-19 January 1812   (no 1810 listed ?)
BADAJOZ                  17 March - 6 April 1812
SALAMANCA              22 July 1812
VITTORIA                  21 June 1813

These would seem to match with CR, B, S and V

However looking at text on the web page though this seems like it might be another John Cooper as I believe mine died shortly after leaving army and it states you had to be still alive in 1847 to claim the medal  ::)  Is that 100% true ?  Or is this a medal roll of the eligible rather than just claimants ?  I may simply just have the wrong death year for John though  :-[  as I can't yet find another John Cooper in the 43rd on FindMyPast.

UPDATE: I've found him alive still weaving (ribbons) in Speen near Newbury in 1851.  His trade was listed as a weaver on 1817 discharge.  Looks like his first wife died about 1818/19 and as children with her stopped coming I'd tagged 1818 burial as being him as year of birth matched based on age at burial... I'll claim defence of a work in progress this bit of my tree  ::)
Morcumb, Pedler, Warne, Whitford, Arthur, Warmington, Sleap, Docton,Couche / Cornwall
Southgate / Essex
Tarrant/Hampshire

Offline Philnut

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 August 15 15:52 BST (UK) »
Attached is image for the Peninsular War Medal Roll for 43rd Foot regiment.  My 3x great grandfather Private John Cooper is awarded medal with four clasps.  Can anyone tell me what they were ?

He was in the regiment from 1809 to 1817 when he was discharged due to failing eyesight aged just 32.

thanks in advance

I've just found this thread and I was wondering where you found the "War Medal Roll". My 3 x great Grandfather was also in the Peninsular Wars, from the begin to the end. He was Thomas Webb born 1781 in Upton upon Severn and served in the 1st Battalion the 43rd Monmouthshire Light Infantry from 1805 to 1820. He fought in nearly all of the major battles and would have been entitled to all 'clasps' accordingly.
He was discharged from the 43rd due to Chronic Rheumatism and served another year in the 3rd Royal Veterans based at the Royal Citadel, Plymouth.
Any information on him would be welcomed.
cheers, Phil
Looking for:  Bird, Webb, Prosser, Dudley, Page
Links to: King Beli Mawr "The Great" of the Druids of the Celtic Britons born circa 110 BC, King Henry VII, William Cartwright (poet),
Pilgrim Fathers, The Gunpowder Plot, Sir Thomas Lawrence (portrait painter), Matthew Holbeche Bloxam, John Cadbury (chocolatier),
 Sir Barnes Wallis

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 August 15 17:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Phil

Ancestry has the medal roll. Unfortunately the medal was not authorised until June 1847. Men had to apply, so they had to still be alive then.

I cannot find him on the roll. But worth double checking.

Ken

Offline Philnut

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 07 August 15 19:04 BST (UK) »
.....Unfortunately the medal was not authorised until June 1847. Men had to apply, so they had to still be alive then.....

Ken
Thanks Ken,

I believe Thomas Webb died June 1843, so he would not have been able to apply for his medals
Thanks for looking, anyway. :(
Phil.
Looking for:  Bird, Webb, Prosser, Dudley, Page
Links to: King Beli Mawr "The Great" of the Druids of the Celtic Britons born circa 110 BC, King Henry VII, William Cartwright (poet),
Pilgrim Fathers, The Gunpowder Plot, Sir Thomas Lawrence (portrait painter), Matthew Holbeche Bloxam, John Cadbury (chocolatier),
 Sir Barnes Wallis

Offline hatofthecat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 08 August 15 12:09 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately since my originally starting this topic I've had to finally conclude my John Cooper born about 1785 is not the one on the medal roll  :-[   This is despite the discharge papers I found showing the medal winning John Cooper as being born about that year, in same town of Reading and also being a weaver by trade.  As Ken pointed out rather importantly in this case they had to still be alive in 1847 to receive the medal and further searches have revealed my John Cooper's wife definitely remarrying as a widow in 1825 and he therefore being the one recorded as having died in 1819 whilst his medal winner namesake lived a long life and carried on weaving at the other end of the county.  That's genealogy for you eh !  ::)
Southgate / Essex
Tarrant/Hampshire