Author Topic: Oxfordshire Records Online?  (Read 21299 times)

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Oxfordshire Records Online?
« Reply #18 on: Monday 07 September 15 18:34 BST (UK) »
Well, I hope they do them justice and that the OFHS are happy with the results

My Oxfordshire lot didn't seem to settle in any particular area which made purchasing the CDs too much of a hit-and-hope exercise, so I'm looking forward to this.
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Online Iffley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 07 September 15 18:41 BST (UK) »
Stevie Stevie -
Well, I hope they do them justice and that the OFHS are happy with the results

We organised the scanning and have carefully checked the resulting images.  We are very pleased with the results of the project.  Indeed, the images can all be viewed at the Oxfordshire History Centre.

My Oxfordshire lot didn't seem to settle in any particular area which made purchasing the CDs too much of a hit-and-hope exercise, so I'm looking forward to this.

OFHS offers searches in its county-wide databases for just that reason - see Surname Search Services on the left at www.ofhs.org.uk

OFHS HelpDesk

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 07 September 15 19:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks iffley

The site looks very different from what I remember. Looks like you've been busy the last couple of years!
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Online Iffley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 07 September 15 19:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks iffley

The site looks very different from what I remember. Looks like you've been busy the last couple of years!

The website design hasn't changed much - except we now also have a news blog at http://news.ofhs.org.uk/news/

But we have various new products - like the Oxford City Cemetery Grave Register CD, and several new photographic MI CDs every year.  We also give taster journals on the site - the beginning and the end, but the middle is only available to members.

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 07:58 BST (UK) »
With Ancestry at least we might eventually see the Oxfordshire records.

Are these scans available on Ancestry yet?  Apparently they've had them for several months.

At least if they'd gone to FindMyPast or, even better, The Genealogist they'd be handled within the UK.

Will OFHS be allowed to provide images to members or will Ancestry have exclusive rights?

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Online Iffley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 08:31 BST (UK) »

Are these scans available on Ancestry yet?  Apparently they've had them for several months.

Not yet, but they are working on them and keeping us informed of progress.

Will OFHS be allowed to provide images to members or will Ancestry have exclusive rights?

As I have said earlier in this thread, the images are currently available at Oxfordshire History Centre.  This means one of our major objectives is fulfilled, that of preserving the registers, which are not now available to researchers.

Those currently using the Oxfordshire FHS's Search Services are able to pay for images of the results of their searches, at the discretion of Alan, who runs the Search Services.  Contact Alan if you want to discuss images of particular events.

Wendy
Oxfordshire FHS

Offline sre

• RootsChat Member
  • Daisy Cook
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 15 May 16 07:04 BST (UK) »
Any news on these yet?

sre
Harness, (Yorkshire, Lincolnshire) Taylor, Carpenter (Devon, Pembrokeshire), Cook, (Glos), Puffitt, (Oxon), Evans, (Herefordshire), Prosser, (Herefordshire), Benfield, (Oxon/Glos)

Online Iffley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 15 May 16 07:50 BST (UK) »
sre -
Any news on these yet?

If you have interests in Oxfordshire and in the scans, may I suggest it would be good to join Oxfordshire Family History Society, who've funded the scanning.  There are updates in their journal.  You'd slso be supporting genealogy in Oxfordshire.

There's a taster journal online at www.ofhs.org.uk (the full journal has lots of articles as well!), and you can read the recent Chairman's piece there.

The plan, all being well, is that the Ancestry launch of the Oxfordshire images will coincide with the OFHS Fair in Woodstock on 1 October. 

Furthermore, all Oxfordshire Family History Society members at that time will be entitled to a significant discount off a year's Ancestry subscription - another good reason to join OFHS!  See http://www.ofhs.org.uk/introduction.html

Iffley

Offline sre

• RootsChat Member
  • Daisy Cook
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 18 May 16 06:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks Iffley, will do

Cheers
sre
Harness, (Yorkshire, Lincolnshire) Taylor, Carpenter (Devon, Pembrokeshire), Cook, (Glos), Puffitt, (Oxon), Evans, (Herefordshire), Prosser, (Herefordshire), Benfield, (Oxon/Glos)