Author Topic: Oxfordshire Records Online?  (Read 21301 times)

Offline Iffley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Oxfordshire Records Online?
« Reply #63 on: Tuesday 04 October 16 18:28 BST (UK) »
I'm just glad I'm not trying to trace travellers!

Like me, just broken a brickwall and confirmed a hunch, not directly related to the PRs being launched on Ancestry but I'm now looking for a marriage in the late 1680s which could either be in North Berkshire (which obviously aren't included although now part of Oxon) or south Oxfordshire.  Nothing appearing on Ancestry and nothing on my v1 of the Berkshire FHS marriage index, so its anybody's guess where it is (I do have a number of OFHS west north Berkshire transcripts but not so many over towards the north eastern part of the county).  The couple's daughter's marriage is also a problem but I have managed to confirm her maiden name by the fact the parish clerk kindly included it on her son's burial entry (even though he was a married adult) and her parent's names courtesy of a chance view of a Oxfordshire Admon on FindMyPast today. ;D  Now if I could just find the marriage and confirm the wife's maiden name (already believe I know the husband's parents based on previous hunch and other Wills) then I can hopefully research some more. :-\

Have you asked OFHS for a search in its N Berks marriage index?  (See Surname Search Services on the left at www.ofhs.org.uk )

Wendy
OFHS HelpDesk

Offline Iffley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Tuesday 04 October 16 18:50 BST (UK) »
Combe seem to not have put their records after 1705 on yet.

It wouldn't have been Combe that would have "put them on" - it would have been Ancestry, using the OFHS scans, were there to have been any.

However - you're going to be sadly disappointed.  Over a century of Combe registers are lost due to the fire of 1918.  The OFHS transcript uses the Bishop's Transcripts to fill in where it can.

If you join OFHS, you'll be given a book explaining what parish registers exist where.

Wendy
OFHS HelpDesk

Offline Iffley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday 04 October 16 19:00 BST (UK) »
I've not got many relatives from Oxfordshire, but have managed to find most of them in Ancestry's new records - hurrah! Good work all round, and thanks OFHS.

Many thanks, Claire.

Wendy
OFHS HelpDesk

Offline Michael J

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Friday 07 October 16 18:02 BST (UK) »
I cannot seem to find any parish register entries for Eynesham, have these been put online yet please?

All that searches specifying Evesham come up with are for St Mary's Witney, however the website of St Leonards says the church was built c.1300 and that the registers are available 1653 - 1900.

The images I have seen from St Mary's are excellent, well done OFHS.

Michael.

Offline Iffley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Friday 07 October 16 18:16 BST (UK) »
I cannot seem to find any parish register entries for Eynesham, have these been put online yet please?

All that searches specifying Evesham come up with are for St Mary's Witney, however the website of St Leonards says the church was built c.1300 and that the registers are available 1653 - 1900.

The images I have seen from St Mary's are excellent, well done OFHS.

Michael.

Thank you for your congratulations.

Yes, there are a lot of registers for Eynsham.

To find the registers of a specfic Oxfordshire parish, go to the tecord set - eg
http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=61056

for the early registers and on the right of the page is a drop down menu under "browse this collection".  Eynsham is there, with links to each of the registers, and similarly for the later data sets.

Wendy

Offline Michael J

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Friday 07 October 16 19:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendy,

Many thanks for your information and very clear instructions - although I was unable to find the person(s) I am looking for the Evesham images are even better than those for Witney!

What a marvellous resource your society has provided,

Very gratefully, Michael.

Added on 8th Oct: Re below, you are quite right Wendy, it should have been 'Eynsham'. (A perfect example of brain fade after an hour's close study of the records).

Offline Iffley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Friday 07 October 16 19:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendy,

Many thanks for your information and very clear instructions - although I was unable to find the person(s) I am looking for the Evesham images are even better than those for Witney!

Thank you for your kind words!

Eynsham, Oxfordshire, isn't Evesham, Gloucestershire, though - but I think you mean Eynsham!!

I suggest you start a new thread with details of the person that's eluding you - or use the OFHS helpdesk.

Wendy

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Saturday 08 October 16 09:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendy,

There appear to be issues with indexing of Eynsham, particularly pre 1812.  I was looking for a baptism from 1809 that I know is in the parish for a relative and had to browse the register to find it.  However, the only save options are to save a web link to a tree or to download a copy.  So they are on there, just you have to browse the registers the old fashioned way for now. :-\
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline PrawnCocktail

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Saturday 08 October 16 10:01 BST (UK) »

There appear to be issues with indexing of Eynsham, particularly pre 1812.  I was looking for a baptism from 1809 that I know is in the parish for a relative and had to browse the register to find it.  However, the only save options are to save a web link to a tree or to download a copy.  So they are on there, just you have to browse the registers the old fashioned way for now. :-\

I've had to go looking for several people the old-fashioned way. But when I find them, I always go to the index at the bottom and have a look why I couldn't find it. It's often some mangled form of the name, which I can correct (provided it wasn't the vicar who mangled it at the time!). But sometimes the entry's been missed off the index, and there's no way to put it on.

If you can find the entry in the index, and you highlight it, it will then put the name at the top of the page, and you can then add it to your tree in the normal way.
Website: http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~towcesterfamilies/genealogy/
Towcester - anything, any time
Cheshire - Lambert, Houghland, Birtwisle
Liverpool - Platt, Cunningham, Ditton
London - Notley, Elsom, Billett
Oxfordshire - Hitchcock, Smith, Leonard, Taunt
Durham - Hepburn, Eltringham
Berwickshire - Guthrie, Crawford
Somerset - Taylor (Bath)
Gloucestershire - Verrinder, Colborn
Dorset - Westlake