Author Topic: Oxfordshire Records Online?  (Read 21303 times)

Offline Iffley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Oxfordshire Records Online?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 14 March 15 12:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol -

I am interested in transcribing for OFHS, but it might not be practical as we're travelling around Australia in a caravan.  We don't always have electricity, let alone internet!  However we have stopped for a few weeks, so if you tell me what's involved I'll give you a proper answer.

Keep up the good work!
Carol

Many thanks for your kind offer.  For fresh transcribing it would be a case of sending you scans of registers, but that would be on a password protected memory stick, which sounds impractical in your circumstances.  We also need the old transcripts rekeying from the pdf files on the CDs - would you like to be involved there?

Let's continue this discussion by email :-)

Wendy

Online CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 16 March 15 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Wendy,

I’m emailing you separately about my possible participation.

Many people who use this board are not familiar with the history of the 1974 county boundary changes, and will be unaware that some ‘Oxfordshire’ parish records are retained in Berkshire.  So for the assistance of all RootsChatters with Oxfordshire interests, could you just confirm that the ex-Berkshire parishes have not been included in the scanning project.

Regards,
Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline Iffley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 17 March 15 15:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol & all -
Hi again Wendy,

I’m emailing you separately about my possible participation.

Many people who use this board are not familiar with the history of the 1974 county boundary changes, and will be unaware that some ‘Oxfordshire’ parish records are retained in Berkshire.  So for the assistance of all RootsChatters with Oxfordshire interests, could you just confirm that the ex-Berkshire parishes have not been included in the scanning project.

Regards,
Carol

Thank you again, Carol, for your offer to be involved.

Yes, I did say earlier in the thread that the scanning project applied to all deposited registers at the Oxfordshire History Centre.  Registers of parishes historically in the pre-1974 county of Oxfordshire are held at the Oxfordshire History Centre.

Registers of parishes historically in the pre-1974 county of Berkshire are at the Berkshire Record Office in Reading.  Oxfordshire FHS covers the present county of Oxfordshire, so has transcribed most of the "old Berkshire" parishes, but has not scanned them.

Wendy

Online CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 19 March 15 12:03 GMT (UK) »
Wendy, thank you for explaining the situation.  I thought that was the case, but it's always best to get up-to-date confirmation where possible.

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 19 March 15 12:20 GMT (UK) »

Witness MindMyPast's Westminster Collection, announced with great fanfare in March 2012 to be arriving "in the coming months".  Thirty-six months have come and gone since and the Westminster Collection consists of incomplete PRs and one tranche of Rate Books and has been forgotten (no update since December 2013) while MindMyPast pursues the US market and publishes vital Irish Dog Licence records.

Given that a lot of the early Irish census records have been lost or destroyed, the dog licence records might be the only way of tracking down some of my ancestors who I know were in Ireland at one time. I just hope they were dog lovers. ;D ;D.

Seriously, it's good to hear of what progress is being made in the Oxfordshire record project. I have ancestors from both sides of the border (pre -1974 Oxon / Berks that is).

Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Artognou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 15:14 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I live near Cowley and I'm fairly sure that every Tuesday, the main church by Temple Cowley has a sort of open day for people wishing to do searches for the Oxfordshire area and they must have access to a variety of parish records.
I've never been, but I have no ancestral ties to the area, but there's always a poster up outside the church advertising the above.
Searching for - McIntyres of Mull & Maybole, Ayrshire and McQuarries of Ulva/Mull.
Foot family of Cornwall/Devon/Dorset, Sargents and Kerslakes of Cornwall/Devon.
McDonalds of Aberdeen/Banff/Sutherland
Aird and Muirfamilies of Ayrshire, Bell families of Ayrshire
Macey, Giles and Lishmund families of Devon.
Baldwins of Hertfordshire.
Dimmock family of Bucks.
Snow family of London.
Dallimore/Dillimores of Wiltshire.
Hunts-Norfolk.
Simmons of Cornwall and Ward/Hewetts of London

Online CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 17:34 BST (UK) »
I live near Cowley and I'm fairly sure that every Tuesday, the main church by Temple Cowley has a sort of open day for people wishing to do searches for the Oxfordshire area and they must have access to a variety of parish records.
I've never been, but I have no ancestral ties to the area, but there's always a poster up outside the church advertising the above.

Do you mean St Luke's, on Oxford Road opposite the Original Swan pub?  That building is no longer a church.  It has been the home of the Oxfordshire History Centre for a few years now and is open daily for anyone researching local history, including family history.  All of the county's parish records are lodged there.  (See Wendy's posts earlier about the OFHS scanning project.)

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE

Online CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 07 September 15 15:36 BST (UK) »
UPDATE (which should probably have been provided by OFHS):-

Ancestry is the chosen provider.  It's a done deal.  No doubt their dollars will outweigh the loss of my OFHS annual subscription.

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 07 September 15 17:59 BST (UK) »
Interesting, thanks Carol.

My suspicion that FindMyPast is no longer interested in (non-military) UK records has hardened into conviction with every Friday's pathetic output in the months since I last posted on this thread.

This further confirms it.

With Ancestry at least we might eventually see the Oxfordshire records.