Author Topic: Polquhairn estates and Drummonds/Birds/Bairds  (Read 1959 times)

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Polquhairn estates and Drummonds/Birds/Bairds
« on: Saturday 07 March 15 13:49 GMT (UK) »
I have located this place on a map of Ayrshire and was wondering if anyone knows the history of this town or whether there was an estate/castle located there?

My reason for asking: I have a 1787 marriage record between a John Drummond, Gardener and Elizabeth Bird, Housekeeper in Polquhairn. Marriage took place in nearby Ochiltree.  Were they working on someone's estate at the time of marriage? 

Would someone have this John Drummond in their family tree and be able to name his parents and which Drummond family he belonged to?

Thanks.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Polquhairn estates and Drummonds/Birds/Bairds
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 March 15 11:00 GMT (UK) »
Polquhairn consisted of 2 farms Old Polquhairn and Polquhairn. At the time of this 1787 marriage it was held by David Crawford whose family had these lands for generations but in 1792 Anne Campbell purchased the estate.

Ochiltree is the name of the Parish and the principal Town where Polquhairn lays. The only castle I am aware of is a at the farm east of Polquhairn at Auchencloigh but by the late 18th century I am sure it would have been mostly rubble.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 March 15 00:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Don. On the Scotlands Places website I just found that John Drummond was the gardener for Adam Crawford Newall Esq. at Polquhairn from, at least, 1785 to 1788. In the 1797 entry for Ochiltree The Countess of Glencairn was listed with one servant only (not John D.). I know that in 1807 John Drummond was in Cambuslang, Lanarkshire.

The same website has Elizabeth BIRD as a female servant in 1786 for the same Adam C. Newall at Polquhairn. Not there in 1787 as she was married earlier that same year to Drummond.  So, one mystery solved.

I presume that Anne Campbell was the Countess of Glencairn?

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 April 15 16:49 BST (UK) »
Is anyone familiar with or have DRUMMOND ancestors from this part of Ayrshire? I'm at the brick wall.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 April 15 17:43 BST (UK) »
The estate was sold Nov 1791 on the death of Adam Crawford Newall - selling price 9030l.

In describing the estate the Caledonian Mercury, 31 Oct 1791 mentions
"...There is upon the farm of Polquhairn a modern built mansion house and offices,which cost near 1000l. sterling and there is likewise a good garden, and thriving belts of planting on that part of the estate ...."

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 April 15 18:21 BST (UK) »
No doubt that those "good gardens" were part due to John Drummond's work there.

In 1796 John and Elizabeth had a son baptized at Muirkirk. On the 18th Nov 1797 John was the gardener for Mrs. Dunlop of Dunlop, Ayrshire. By 1807 he had moved again to Cambuslang, Lanarkshire. I wonder why all the moves?