Author Topic: William ROBERTSON, living in Little Mill village COMPLETED WITH THANKS  (Read 2375 times)

Offline helendg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I'm hoping that someone can put me in the right direction.  I am trying to track William ROBERTSON, who was aged 39 in the 1841 Census records for Old Kilpatrick Parish.  His wife, Marion, aged 29 was also living with him at the time.  Also living with the couple were two young lads, described as tailor's apprentice, but no names given.

In an effort to track down my relative, William Paul, born 20 March 1824, I'm looking at his most likely employer.  William Paul was a tailor's apprentice, aged 15 in 1841.  According to the 1841 census, William Paul was living with his family in Old Kilpatrick Village, but I'm wondering if he worked for William Robertson and happened to be home with his family on census night?  (Perhaps this is why the young lads were not named in the census record for William Robertson's family)?

It appears that William Robertson, tailor, was the closest business to where young William Paul was living, so am trying to ascertain more about this William Robertson.  William Paul was not living with his family at the time of the 1851 census, in fact, after 1841 I have found no trace.  With the only clue being "tailor's apprentice", I'm hoping someone may have some more information about William Robertson, tailor, and who his apprentices may be?  Any assistance most appreciated.
PAUL - from Scotland to New Zealand

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William ROBERTSON, living in Little Mill village (nr Old Kilpatrick) in 1841
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 March 15 07:15 GMT (UK) »
Is this the census 1841 Old Mill Old Kilpatrick
William Robertson age 39 transcribed as sailor ....tailor
Marion Robertson age 29
Hugh Kelso age 17 tailor ap
James McRobin age 16 tailor j
Robert Isaac 23 medical student
William S Smith 25 office of excise

Offline helendg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: William ROBERTSON, living in Little Mill village (nr Old Kilpatrick) in 1841
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 March 15 08:31 GMT (UK) »
Rosie, thanks for your response.  I'm pretty sure it should have been "tailor", but the names of the tailor's apprentices don't give me much hope.  I think I will have to think further afield - perhaps to Glasgow?  Thank you so much for your reply.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William ROBERTSON, living in Little Mill village COMPLETED WITH THANKS
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 March 15 10:09 GMT (UK) »
Where was he born and what was the names of his parent's so we can help look for him  :)

Offline helendg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 March 15 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rosie,  I'm actually trying to trace William PAUL, son of John Paul and Ann Filshie (as above).  The last I've seen of him was in the 1841 census - he was aged 15 years, living in the home of his family in Kilpatrick Village - a "tailor's apprentice". There is no sign of him in the 1851 census,  so was trying to track him down by trade.  As William Robertson was the main tailor in closest proximity to where William PAUL was living, I was hoping that he was one of William Robertson's young 'lads'.  I've checked for William worldwide, including New Zealand, where two of his other brothers came to - nothing.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 March 15 09:43 GMT (UK) »
Yes not seeing much for him at all maybe he died between 1841- 1851 or he is hiding well ???

Offline helendg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 March 15 16:57 GMT (UK) »
I agree - he's elusive.  I can't find a death record for him, nothing on the census and so far, nothing on an emigration record.  This was why I was 'shooting at straws' and trying to locate him via his profession.  Thanks anyway.