Author Topic: John Stavers - mid 1700s  (Read 6550 times)

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Stavers - mid 1700s
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 30 May 15 15:03 BST (UK) »
Dorothy, nice to meet a new "cousin". If I understand you correctly then we share two links back to John. If he was my 5th great grandfather and your 4th great grandfather then I believe that makes us 5th cousins once removed. I have not yet tried to calculate the other relationship. Complicated with halves in it :)

If you make one more post on rootschat you will have access to the private messaging system. We can then contact each other directly and I can tell you where you can find more about my tree.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 30 May 15 15:24 BST (UK) »
Looking at other research on ancestry there seem to be two theories about Dorothy Charlton 1758 of Simonburn. Some think she is our Dorothy who married John Stavers at Woodhorn in 1780. Others think she married William Berkeley at Newburn in 1785. None that I have looked at yet have any convincing evidence of their theory.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 30 May 15 16:41 BST (UK) »
This is a digression from our hunt for John & Dorothy, but I came across an interesting record while trawling through Woodhorn indexes:

http://freereg2.freereg.org.uk/search_records/55107c4fe93790ccb623d508?search_id=5569d906791e3bae220023fa

Baptism of Snowball Stavers "a negro boy" born 1805, bapt 1821. I bet that one caused some interest in rural Northumberland in the 1820s. Certainly adds confirmation to the theory that these Stavers were seafaring folks.

Offline dorothyc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 30 May 15 19:40 BST (UK) »
Hi again,
I have already noticed this as well! It looks as if this boy came to England on board a ship with one of the Stavers, possibly John?
I have just been to the National Archives to trace some of my mariner ancestors, I have quite a few. Next time I go I'll try to home in on the Stavers. I found quite a bit about Walker Wheatley.
Do you know the quote in Walter Runnciman's book about the Stavers brothers?

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 30 May 15 19:44 BST (UK) »
No, I donīt know the quote. I will have to confess I have never even heard of Walter Runnciman.

Offline marije87

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 10:31 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
I found your discussion via google. I'm from the Netherlands and also looking in to my Stavers ancestors.
I think there might be a connection between you John Stavers (born 1752) and my William Stavers (born around 1765).

I notice the list of births and the cap between 1760 and 1767. I think it  is possible that William was born in between. The names of all his posibble brothers and sisters are the same as the names of his children.
And since you Stavers family were seafaring folks and William Stavers and his sons were too and both from around Simonsburn/Humhaugh, it makes it more logic that they are related.

I would like to see if sharing more information can help figuring this out.

Marije

Offline dorothyc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 10 August 17 23:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Marije, I have looked again and can't find a baptism of William Stavert in the Simonburn St. Mungo records between 1747 - 1767. He may be baptised somewhere else to the same parents, William and Elizabeth. There is a gap between 1755 and 1759 and 1760 - 1767. It 's a mystery!