Author Topic: Birth Records Catherine Comerford  (Read 9272 times)

Offline cathy23

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Records Catherine Comerford
« Reply #36 on: Monday 09 March 15 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Dathai, I have assumed that Catherine has lied about her age at some point and most likely on the marriage certificate and that she was quite young when she got married. I don't know about the Comerford family in census page as I don't know Matthew's wife's name, that is why I am trying to locate Catherine's Birth/Baptism records. I am assuming that she was Baptised in the Kingstown area.  Catherine from Kilkenny cannot be my Catherine as she was born in Dublin, the North Dublin Catherine is a possibility and I have that record but want to eliminate records from Kingstown area first.

Offline LucindaD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 19 August 15 16:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Cathy,

Could this be your Catherine Comerford born in Kingstown?  The surname is a bit botched, but father's name is clearly Matthew Comerford and mother Anne Cullen living in Clarence Street.

http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633812#page/121/mode/1up

Date of birth is 26.03.1867 - which happens to be same date as one of Tara's familysearch links for an Anne Comerford.  It may have been an error in transcription, no fault of Tara.

Dathai  Cathy's  Matthew Comerford is not one of the bold Fenian men - my Matthew Comerford who is married to Elizabeth Archbold is the Fenian.

What both of the Matthew Comerfords have in common is that marriages are recorded after a few children have been born.  I would love an explanation of this as its doing my head in.. ???

Offline cathy23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 20 August 15 09:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks Lucinda, Is this a Birth or Baptismal record?  I am sure that Catherine was born and her name was registered as Anne the parents changed her name for whatever reason and Baptised her in another name, that's the only possibility. I have seen the Birth Certificate for Anne but there is no other child so the possibility of a twin is not realistic, the only explanation is that her name was changed.  And yes, Matthew and Anne got married several years after the children. I can only find one other child who was born in 1864

Offline LucindaD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 20 August 15 13:29 BST (UK) »
Cathy23

The link i gave you was for (Catherine) in St. Michaels RC in Kingstown so it is a baptismal record, though it does give the birth date  26.03.1867.  Baptised on 05.04.1867
sponsors: James Dunne and Mary Brennan? 

here is the link for the earlier child MaryAnne:

http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633812#page/57/mode/1up

same church - birth date 09.02.1864  Baptized: 24.02.1864
sponsors: Robert Lenihan and Mary Stack?

perhaps the sponsors names may mean something to you.

This is based on parents being Matthew Comerford & Annie Cullen in Kingstown.

There is a Mary Anne Comerford birth reg. in 1864 Rathdown available from GRO
V.2 P. 807  District: Rathdown

I would also give the suggestion from Dathai re birth for Catherine born in Dublin North 1867 a shot, as its possible the birth could have taken place there in hospital?

Good Luck :)

Offline cathy23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 21 August 15 10:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks Lucinda

I have Mary Anne's Birth Certificate.  I am certain that Catherine was the Anne born in 1867 and for some reason parents changed her name to Catherine prior to her Baptism as the Birth date for Anne is that same as Catherine's. It is the only possibility I think.

Many thanks for your help.

Cathy