Author Topic: Boer War Rolls.  (Read 3850 times)

Offline Barrie Green

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Boer War Rolls.
« on: Monday 09 March 15 03:15 GMT (UK) »
John Mackie, born 1872 Montrose, Forfar, Scotland travelled on the 'Norman' to the Cape, S,A, departing Southampton on 9 Feb.1900.
 To my knowledge he had at that time no Army Service but I feel I should check to see if he actually joined up for the Boer War. He had been a draper's assistant before he left Montrose.

Where can I check to see if he is on a  Boer War Roll somewhere. In 1911 a John Mackie was involved re land for the sugar industry and I am also trying to see if that was him.

My research for years came to a standstill regarding this John Mackie and now there seems to be a light at the end of a very long tunnel!

Grateful for any suggestions re the War.

Faith

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Boer War Rolls.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 March 15 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Faith

If he was on a passenger list then he would have had to have enlisted in South Africa. Regular troops and the Boer War-only mounted infantry - Imperial Yeomanry and the like, who enlisted in the UK - would have travelled on troop ships and are not listed on passenger lists.

Lots of men made their own way to SA as they could enlist in one of the 60-100 irregular regiments created for the Boer War and receive five shillings a day, which was about four times the pay of a Private in a British infantry regiment.

We have two problems. Firstly, the medal rolls only give initials, and secondly, the SA based regiments enlistment papers are not as yet searchable. If you search the medal roll on Ancestry you get a total of 46 J Mackie's. Some had middle initials, but even if you eliminate them plus the Regular troops, you are left with a large number who served in SA-raised regiments. The attestation forms for these are in the National Archives, so you will have to visit and check the age/place of birth/NoK information.

The records for pre-existing SA police regiments are in South Africa.

btw...Men often did a six or 12 month enlistment and then either re-enlisted in the same regiment or changed to a new regiment. So there may be more than one attestation form.

If you him on a return passenger list it may help to eliminate a few on the list. As a man returning in say 1901 would not feature on the medal roll with a 1902 South Africa clasp. You can also eliminate men who received a clasp for a battle/siege that took place before he arrived.

Ken

Offline Barrie Green

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 March 15 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you KM1971, your comprehensive reply gives me plenty to work on and consider.

Grateful thanks, Faith.

Offline janab

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Boer War Rolls - where to look???
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 April 15 00:59 BST (UK) »
Hello Ken,

My family has claimed forever that my Grampa's two elder brothers died in the Boer War:

William Henry Dewhurst b. 23 January 1878    Islington, Middlesex, England
Arthur Frederick Dewhurst b. 29 May 1882    Islington, Middlesex, England

I have their birth records, so I know they existed.... I can find no death records nor any other records for either of them at all, let alone connected to the Boer War. Their deaths were a large reason my g grandfather brought my Grampa to the USA, to avoid lettin him get caught up in a war at a time when there was no "sole surviving son exclusion".

I would love to figure out the truth and you seem knowledgeable.; Do you have any suggestions to offer??? Many thanks in advance!

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 April 15 03:02 BST (UK) »
There are no Dewhursts with the correct initial in the casualty list. There are a number of A Dewhurst in the medal rolls including an Arthur who (according to the medal roll) served in at least two local regiments - Cape Railway Sharpshooters and 3rd Railway Pioneer Regiment

There are at least ten W Dewhursts listed. The only William Henry listed was born in Manchester.

Ken

Offline janab

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 April 15 17:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ken, your results are the same that I have found thus far.... you mentioned in an earlier post that sometimes men did not enlist until they got to SA. Do you know if those records exist???

Offline bowman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me in the woods 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 May 15 20:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Barrie,

This information is taken from a transcription by Kevin Asplin of all the sailings during 1899-1902 as published in the London Times shipping lists 1899-1902

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=14/20+Kings+hussars&es_sm=122&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=3yRFVY6ONI31aJ7PgaAB&ved=0CDgQsAQ&biw=1440&bih=785

and can be found here    http://www.britishmedals.us/files/sl1900.htm

bowman
BEARD; BAKER; TAYLOR; SMITH: BEER

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 July 15 02:00 BST (UK) »
Hi I found a marriage for your John Mackie at https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KDCG-JPR and here it states he died in 1940.
Document 16 of 18
DEPOT     TAB                                                                   
SOURCE    MHG                                                                   
TYPE      LEER                                                                 
VOLUME_NO 0                                                                     
SYSTEM    01                                                                   
REFERENCE 1427/40                                                               
PART      1                                                                     
DESCRIPTION          MACKIE, JOHN MILLAR.                                                 
STARTING  19400000                                                             
ENDING    19400000                                                             
REMARKS   SURVIVING SPOUSE JANE MACKIE (BORN FAIRNINGTON).                     
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 12 July 15 08:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ken, your results are the same that I have found thus far.... you mentioned in an earlier post that sometimes men did not enlist until they got to SA. Do you know if those records exist???

Sorry I missed this one. I answered this for Barrie Green. If they enlisted in a irregular unit created for the Boer War then the British government paid their wages, and they had a copy of the Attestation Form (usually one page) sent to London. These are in the National Archives. The records for pre-existing SA units are in South Africa.

The medals rolls for all units are on Ancestry. But in 99% of cases they only give their initial(s).

Ken