Author Topic: Kelloe birth record for Mary Sanderson  (Read 2526 times)

Offline Genie24

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kelloe birth record for Mary Sanderson
« on: Monday 09 March 15 19:25 GMT (UK) »
My great x 6 grandmother Mary Sanderson was apparently born in 1720 in Kelloe, Durham. Lots of people have her in their family trees all with the same birth date. However, I have never been able to find a record. Can anyone tell me how I can access it?
She married Henry Barron in St. Mary's Church, Washington on 29th June 1737. It was rebuilt in 1833 and is now named Holy Trinity. I live in Washington and have visited the church several times. I recently looked at their website and was surprised to see that Washington History Society have transcribed the gravestones and there was an entry for a Mary Barron. The inscription reads: Erected by Henry Barron in memory of his wife Mary Barron of Washington who died Dec 6th 1798 aged 65 years. The grave is very close to the path leading to the church so I can't believe I have never noticed it. However, The dates don't match the date of birth as the age at death suggest a birth date of around 1733 which clearly can't be right as their first two children were baptised there in 1738 and 1740. They then moved to Lamesely and the rest of the children, including my great x 5 grandfather Thomas,  were baptised there. This means that either Henry lied about her age or didn't know or it is another Henry Barron married to Mary unknown. Either way I think Henry and Mary are connected but I need to start from the beginning and verify her birth and take it from there. At first I though that maybe the date of death and age may have been mis-transcribed but when I went to see it the inscription is very clear to see and it is definitely correct.
Does anyone have any suggestions please?
Anderson/Andersson, Imison, Lang, Humble, Mallinder, Brett, Ridley, Ferries, Hall

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Kelloe birth record for Mary Sanderson
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 March 15 07:31 GMT (UK) »
The burial record (FreeReg) : 8 Dec 1798, Mary Barron, died 6 Dec, age 64, wife of Henry Barron of Washington, Labourer.

Another burial, same place : 24 Feb 1804, Henry Barron of Washington, died 22 Feb, age 71,

A marriage at Washington Holy Trinity, 3 Jul 1779, Henry Barren and Mary Longstaff.

Alan.
Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins

Offline Genie24

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 March 15 08:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan
Thanks for the response. Yes I found that burial record late last night which confirmed the details on the inscription with the additional information about Henry's occupation - labourer. I didn't find the one for Henry though so appreciate that. That age at death puts his birth about the same time so almost definitely her husband and I assume he would have been buried in the same grave. They were born before my great x 6 grandparents marriage in 1737 so if they are related, Henry would most likely  be a son of a brother of my Henry. Henry and Mary Sanderson did have a son called Henry but not until 1771 in Lamesley. I have found a death in Lamesley of a Henry Barron  in 1778 but not birth year or age. This could be my great x 6 or his son.I will look into Mary Longstaff
Julie
Anderson/Andersson, Imison, Lang, Humble, Mallinder, Brett, Ridley, Ferries, Hall

Offline Genie24

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 March 15 18:26 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I mis-typed the date for Henry born in lamesley. It should be 1751 not 1771.

I need to dig a bit deeper with this. Thanks for the help.

Julie

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 March 15 21:02 GMT (UK) »
I have a transcript of Kelloe St. Helen baptisms for the time period you are looking.  No Mary Sanderson.  Not many Sanderson's at all.  There were a few in the very early 1700's. Eleanor in 1700, Mary in 1705, and a Robert 1714.   I also looked at Bishop Middleham which people seemed to back and forth from or at least my family that lived in the area did.  Nothing there.  You are sure about where she was born and when?  It is also odd to have a birth date from someone of that time period.  Usually it was a baptism date.  No one has that I presume--just a year?

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Genie24

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 March 15 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janis. Thanks for your input. No I am not sure about Mary Sanderson's birth date. I don't have an exact birth or baptism date which is why I need to clarify things. All of the trees I look at have her born Kelloe 1720 but I think now maybe she wasn't. I think a lot of people copy unverified information and I admit to doing that. Most of my Barron family come from Sedgefield. The Mary buried in Holy Trinity was 'of Washington'. I know the family moved to Lamesley and the rest of the children were born there. I think my great x 6s probably died there. I am still intrigued about the Washington graves though.  I was surprised to find them and it would be nice to make a connection.
Julie

Offline Genie24

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 14 March 15 13:40 GMT (UK) »
Janis - I have found those baptisms for Eleanor, Mary and Robert Sanderson on Find My Past. You are right there doesn't appear to be many Sandersons living in Kelloe at that time although a few in the 1800s. Eleanor and Mary both have a father named William and were residing in Cassop but Robert's father was Richard. He resided in Wingate. It is not impossible that my Mary Sanderson (Great X 6) could possible be the daughter of an older male sibling, illigitimate daughter of Eleanor or Mary  or a younger sibling following the death of the first Mary perhaps. I am now trying to find the father William but not having much luck. The Durham Diocese Bishop's Transcripts does not cover that period.
I am assuming there is a good reason why she appears as being born in Kelloe. Unfortunately, it won;t be easy finding the person who first added that information to their tree. Everyone else, including me copied that information. I am not paticularly bothered about going back much further on that particular line. I would just like to be able to confirm who Mary Sanderson was and where she came from.
Julie